D&D 5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
What can you tell us about the dracolich... Icy Death? Sesto asked. Maybe something useful would be revealed to aid them in the upcoming fight.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"As a living white dragon, Arauthator haunted the Sea of Moving Ice like an avenging wind, eating and enslaving the lesser races and forging his lair in the heart of this, the largest berg, Oyaviggaton. Personifying the brutality and savagery that is common among white dragons, Old Icy Death is a solid ally of the Cult of the Dragon.

In addition to his size, cunning, and ferocity, Arauthator wields spellcasting power that makes him a particularly dangerous foe. More than a century ago, during one of the period of excessive draconic violence known as the Rage of Dragons, Arauthator joined with a dozen other dragons in attacking the Hosttower of the Arcane in Luskan. Their assault toppled the west arm of the tower, and Arauthator scooped up numerous items of great magical importance and power, including at least three tomes of rare spells. The possibility of recovering those books is part of what drew me to the Sea of Moving Ice, as well as finding the Draakhorn to complete my agreement with Imani.

Of course, I expected to be able to negotiate with Arauthator if need be, but the Cult of the Dragon beat me here, and they convinced Old Icy Death to undergo the ritual that would turn him into a Dracolich. This, of course, made what would otherwise be an unreasonable tyrant, into a raving mad narcissist. I was captured, and all of my entourage were killed. It is only that I offered to translate some of these obscure texts that caused him to spare me."

Maccath paused to answer any questions, and later explained a little on dracoliches: "Creating a dracolich requires the cooperation of the dragon and a group of mages or cultists that can perform the terrible ritual. During the ritual, the dragon consumes a toxic brew that slays it instantly. The attendant spellcasters then ensnare its spirit and transfer it to a special gemstone that functions like a lich’s phylactery. As the dragon’s flesh rots away, the spirit inside the gem returns to animate the dragon’s bones.

If a dracolich’s physical form is ever destroyed, its spirit returns to the gem as long as the two are on the same plane. If the dracolich’s spirit gem is taken to another plane, the dracolich’s spirit has nowhere to go when its undead body is destroyed and simply passes into the afterlife. If you wish to truly defeat a dracolich, then you must find this gem."

She also added more on the Cult of the Dragon, "When I first arrived, the Cult was still here, negotiating payment with the dragon for services rendered. I met with this group's leader, Wyrmspeaker Varram the White. Thinking me not any threat, he revealed to me over dinner that when he left, he was heading to explore the Tomb of Deridius. In an effort to impress me, he told me that he had discovered the tomb east of Boareskyr Bridge, in the Serpent Hills."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn blinked.

"So where is Icy Death's phylactery? And does anyone here have a bag of holding? That should do the trick... " He briefly smiled - he had paid attention to his arcane teachings. " And who is this Deridius?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I know little of Deridius (my expertise is knowledge of Dragonkind), but I believe he was an ancient wizard who was famed for his divinations." Maccath shrugged, as if it meant very little to her. "Arauthator's gem will be very hard to locate. It will either be hidden in this lair, or another, or perhaps even taken by Varram for safe-keeping."

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord's expression lightened up slightly at the mention of tomes of spells. But he listened intently. At the pause he did speak up. "Have you discovered anything relevant in this translation work?

Listening to the discussion about the phylactory, he pondered for a moment. "I wonder if there is a way to bring him to another plane and destroy him there. That would also satisfy the requirement as well, I suppose?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Maccath answered Mord's first question with an excited babble that would only interest the most studious of archanists. She answered his second question, "Yes, that would work, but I can't imagine that it would be an easy thing to achieve."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn frowned. "How long would it take Arauthator to reform if we cannot dispose of his gem? And how can he be defeated? What magic does it have access to? I am assuming stealing the horn from him and leaving is not an option?"

tglassy

Adventurer
“Would it be possible to talk to him?” Primus suggested. “Dragons are smart, but vain. Would a careful stroking of his ego perhaps give us what we want faster, and less deadly, than an outright attack.”

FitzTheRuke

Legend
To Kalorn, Macaath replied, "Most dragons have minions who can gather the existing bones together and use their own magics to repair them. Then, the phylactery would return the Dragon's spirit to animate the dragon's original body. In this way, a dracolich might return in a matter of days or weeks. But - in a case where the dragon's original form can be scattered, lost, or destroyed, and no-one is actively working for the dragon to assist, it could take years for the phylactery to create a body from nothing. Though eventually, the dracolich would return in all its rage."

At Primus' suggestion, Macaath said, "I do not think that there is anything that you could offer that would cause Arauthator to give you the Draakhorn. Besides, he has taken an adviser in the form of a high-ranking dragon cultist called Wyrmsoul Arrufel. Arrufel resides in the east side of the dragon's lair with a few remaining cultists. His agenda and yours would be in direct competition."

Remove ads