D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Angis took one look at the expression on Escella's face and called out "Tommi, Lionel! C'mon lads. Just leave'm tae get eaten. We've got a job t'do. Those moost be the 'sneaky snakes' that the ol'crow spake aboot."

The group circled to the south and went west. Tommi looked over his shoulder with some small regret, and he saw the boar shake off a snake-thing and try to follow. Shockingly quickly, the one behind the boar jumped on its back and wrapped a tentacle around its hind-leg, and the boar stumbled. The other jumped on its head again. Then two more came out of the bushes, and the boar could barely be seen, covered in tentacles and biting beaks. The pig's cries died out mercifully quickly.

The Daggerfordians ran, leaving Harpshield Castle behind them. It was possible that the orcs sent out a party to investigate the noise, but they did not stay to find out. They travelled westward along trails familiar to Escella. After a few miles, they stopped to say farewell to Angis, who promised to report to Sir Darfin at Floshin Manor, and to continue on from there to Daggerford, to report to Lady Morwen, or failing an audience, to Kelson Darktreader. If all went well, they would bring a small army and chase off these orcs.

Before leaving, Angis took Tommi and Lionel aside and told them, "Yae watch each oother's backs, lads. Tommi, ye're growin' too reckless. Be safe. Lionel, ye're braver than ye think. Be bold. Stick t'gether, and I'll see ye again."

He nodded to Escella, Vairar, and Dornuk, and he turned down a trail heading south.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi watches the war-pig struggling and squealing. He is actually wondering if the kindest thing to do would be to put it down, attack it before the serpent-things. As he debates that, the question is put to rest for him: another creature attacks the war-pig, which stops squirming.

That's enough. He makes eye contact with Lionel, and then steps away.

When it comes time to say goodbye to Angis, he does so with a surprising warmth. Surprising to Angis, at least, based on the facial expression Tommi saw when he gave the dwarf a hug goodbye.

"Reckless. I'll do my best," he says, probably teasing.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Angis had already been slightly ashamed of himself for being so sentimental. When Tommi had hugged him, it was so over-the-top for the grizzly dwarf, that he stood stiffly, eyes wide.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Doughty Daggerfordians continued on to Nandar Lodge, following trails familiar to Escella. It was nearly dark when they arrived. Once a grand noble family's hunting lodge, all that remains of it today were the cellar pit, a few foundation stones, and a natural spring that flowed close to the site, through the forest, before draining away into a sinkhole. It had been used for the last several decades as a campsite for hunters, foresters, and scouts.

Tonight, the well-used firepit, made from the remains of what once was a grand fireplace, had a small cook-fire going, hidden from view until the Daggerfordians were quite close. A lone figure sat on a foundation stone, warming himself by the fire and heating water in a small iron pot.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Good evening. Would we be welcome to share your fire?" asks Tommi as he emerges from the darkness. His hands are empty and outstreched, palms up.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
The figure starts and instinctively reaches for an axe lying within easy reach.

”Oy! Who’s there?” A distinctly dwarven voice calls out in response as the stranger looks away from the fire.

As you come closer, more details become clear. Never have you seen such an old dwarf, his grey beard short and tufty, what hairs remain on his head wild and wily. Faded tattoos cover his head and face, and his arms where they peek out from underneath the fine splint mail he wears.

Despite the apparent age, the man stands in an easy fighting stance, his body strong and hard. His hands are covered in dirt, as if he’s been digging in the ground with them.

”Ye’re no gnoll,” the dwarf states, not lowering his axe.

OOC: Hi guys! Glad to join you in this game.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"No, I'm not," says the boy , stopping at the perimeter of the light when he sees the axe. "I'm from Daggerford. Tommi, Jyn's son." He tries to sound more confident. "Tommi Gutter-take."

He was almost relieved Angis wasn't here to witness this.

"Um. I'm with some friends. We've not seen any gnolls, no. But we've been on the lookout."

Some mechanical chirping behind him reminds Tommi: "And this is Oh-Six. He used to belong..., um. It? She travels with us."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Greetings, identity: unnamed dwarf." said Oh-Six, a flying orb, in a metalic chirp.

OOC: I had forgotten that Oh-Six could talk. When looking back I spotted it.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
The dwarf relaxes visibly, lowering the axe but not releasing it just yet.

”Daggerford is where we’re headed,” he says before correcting himself. ”Where meself is headed now. Darned gnolls.”

Without going into details, he looks over his shoulder for a second in the direction opposite where Tommi entered the clearing. Quickly the dwarf returns his attention to Tommi and whoever Oh-Six is.

Then he sees it.

”Wha’s that ball thing? Ye best not be a wizard spyin’ on us with that orb!”

Motioning for Tommi to join him at the campfire, he ignores Oh-Six pointedly.

”Helgrim Ironslag,” he introduces himself to Tommi and the others as they join by the fire.

He looks expectantly, then sighs.

”Used to be famous ‘round these parts,” he mutters, his mood a bit more foul, sitting himself down on a thin pillow produced from a huge overstuffed backpack.

Remove ads