• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As the Red Wizard recoiled from Escella's blasts, he began to cast a spell - in this case one that made him fade from view, turning him invisible.

OOC: @Prickly Pear I guess Lionel could use his readied crossbow, but he'd have to attack with disadvantage, I think. I'm not 100% on which happens first. Thoughts?

OOC: @FitzTheRuke Readied attack would go on the act of casting a spell and the hit (and damage) would have a chance to interrupt the spell.
That's how I would play it.
So, action sequence:
starting to cast --> triggers reaction --> shoot --> does damage (or not) --> concentration roll (depends on damage) --> spell is cast (or not)

tglassy

Adventurer
Titus cracked his neck. His memory of the past week was spotty at best, but he knew one thing: gnolls can just die.

Titus pulls out his hand crossbow and takes aim at the easiest target: the glowing eye.

_: 1D20+5 = [18]+5 = 23

Assuming that hits:

_: 1D6+3 = [4]+3 = 7

(Note: Since Im using the playtest Fighter, I have Mastery over four weapons: Longswords, Shortswords, Hand Crossbowd and Whips. Because of my Mastery of Hand Crossbows, I have advantage on my next attack before the end of my next turn. However, since I took Dual Wielding and Defensive Dualist instead of Crossbow Expert, I can only do the one shot, so I will stow the hand crossbow and move closer to the baddies.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I have advantage on my next attack before the end of my next turn.
OOC: Against the same target, I believe. So unless someone knocks him down to you, you'll have to get up there. It's about 12 feet up, but you can do some crazy riding (stand in the saddle) and jump up there with a dc14 Athletics Check. Or if someone knocks him down, you can run over him with your horse (free Hooves attack if you move through his space on your turn, as long as he is still prone when you do it). But this will have to wait for me to roll the round. Which I will do, as soon as I can get the chance.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
OOC:
@Prickly Pear I guess Lionel could use his readied crossbow, but he'd have to attack with disadvantage, I think. I'm not 100% on which happens first. Thoughts?
This is a tricky one. The trigger is "Ready to shoot if wizard attacks" and I think that Lionel would assume that the wizard would attack when he start waving his hands around and muttering something incomprehensible to cast the spell. So, yes, Lionel will attack. With disadvantage? There is nothing in the rules about that unless you deem that the wizard is already invisible. I would go with, no, he is not invisible yet. And if Escella counter-spelled him, he should still be visible.
There is no allies around the wizard, so no sneak attack opportunity through ally-closeness. However, Lionel was observing him to see weakness in wizard's defences through his Insightful Fighting skill (DC 22 vs CHA (deception)). I would assume that will be hard to beat.

The wizard pulled out something from his pouch, waved his hands and muttered something incomprehensible. Watch out!!! he screamed as Lionel feared for his friends safety and then let the bolt fly. Lionel hit the mark that he had observed just moments earlier and the wizard stumbled.

Dr. Morgan Wells
Race: Human
HP: 25/32
AC: 12/15(Mage Armour)
Pass Perc: 11
Pass Inv: 17
Pass Ins: 11
Spell Slots:
1st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ]
2nd [X] [ ] [ ]

3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
Arcane Ward: 0/16Initiative: +2 Spell Save DC: 15
STR: 10+0
DEX: 14 + 2
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 18+4(+7)
WIS: 12 +1(+4)
CHA:12 +1
Arcana:10
History: 7
Investigation:7
Medicine: 4
Persuasion: 4
Religion: 7
Cantrips
Control Flames, Chill touch,
Shape water, Shocking grasp

Memorized spells
1st Grease, Mage Armour, Prot. Evil, Shield
2nd Arcane Lock, Invisibility, Web
3rd Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Slow

It was a tense moment as Morgan wondered what would happen next.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As the Red Wizard began to fade from sight, Escella felt the pull of magic that surrounded him. She pulled back, and the spell failed. Theggar looked at her with surprise and frustration. How had she learned to control the magic that the gnolls had infused in her? So many others had died or gone mad. So many that he had abandoned the experiment all together. The gnoll's ritualistic technique was barbaric in his eyes, and it made sense to him that the subjects had gone mad - the gnolls were mad as a gibbering mouther.

But not Escella. He yearned to autopsy her corpse and discover why this was. All of this went through his head as Lionel's quarrel crossed the room and struck him in his wand-arm. His hand went numb and he wondered if he would still be able to make the three-fingered cross that was the somatic component of a powerful spell that he hoped would turn the tide.

OOC: Always gotta remember: "Bits & Pieces" - when I can't find time to roll a round, I can try to resolve just a character or two at a time. Slowly & surely wins the race. Lionel shot Theggar for 18 after Escella countered the invisibility. Still gotta deal with the dwarves, but I should be able to get to that soonish.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads