D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"When my father was young before there was Daggerford or really any humans close by...a battle similar to this one took place. Elven archers and wizards decimated The Horde. But it wouldn't be possible if infantry didn't hold them penned in. If they climb en masse and run into the forest we will have to retreat.

The secret is of course to keep them confused and occupied and we have to seem like there is more of us than we really are. Unfortunately, I'm a battlemage, not an illusionist. Maybe we could create dummies or simply run from one side to the other and shoot from multiple positions?"

Darfin tries to remember the details of the battle, but it was centuries ago and he just heard the story. On the way up though, his elven senses come alive following the flow of natural sounds and picking any that don't belong. While not being especially trained in the art of scouting silently, elven mail is much quieter than human equivalent.

History; Perception; Stealth: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24
1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/South road
Late Afternoon
Round 0

Angis scowled into his beard. “Hate t’ lose the high ground t’ th’orcs. That’s a significant advantage. If they cut us off from the manor, we just opened up the south road,” he pointed out. “Mebbe we draw ‘em off the north one.”

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (NA) (590 r)
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 35/40 HD: 0/4d10+2

Bolts: 12
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 0/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorceror

Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/South road
Late Afternoon
Round 0

Angis scowled into his beard. “Hate t’ lose the high ground t’ th’orcs. That’s a significant advantage. If they cut us off from the manor, we just opened up the south road,” he pointed out. “Mebbe we draw ‘em off the north one.”

"How do we lose high ground by going on the higher ridge? I think you misunderstood something. If we lure them away from the river, we may contend with whole band. I would personally prefer to strike suddenly and fast. Create panic and shoot as many ranged options as we can. From above. Then again and again. When they organise enough to start hunting us, we retreat to the next ridge and keep shooting. By the time they come at us they should be tired and hopefully bloodied."

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
They all agreed that it was best to take the war-wagon to the Manor. It was too valuable to loose to the sieging orcs bands. But who would take charge of the wagon? Titus and Lionel argued for a little before the decision was made that Lionel and the guard would make the bash to the manor.
It stands to reason, doesn't it? Lionel insisted. Who is the better driver, eh? I don't want to remember the time when you took the reins to give me a break and we ended up next to the road!
That was a fox jumping out and scaring the horses!
Titus interjected. My Blaze didn't even blink... she is a good horse.

Lionel took the reins and set off towards the manor, with the guard next to him showing the way. He would point out where the orcs usually were stationed during the siege. Before they set off, Lionel and the guard wrapped some cloth around the horses hoofs so they wouldn't make much noise. Likewise with the wheels of the wagon. Hopefully this would help them move quietly and still keep good speed. Lionel would be on high alert and look out for hidden orcs.

Titus joined the others and moved into the undergrowth. He tried to be quiet as he moved up the ridge and into the forest.

Animal handling: 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11
Perception: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15
Stealth with land vehicle: 1D20+4+2 = [12]+4+2 = 18
Eye for Detail: Lionel can spend a bonus action to spot hidden creatures with a perception check.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Lionel on the War Wagon

When the group reached the crossroad, they waved goodbye to Lionel and an elf guard. The two set out down the road toward the manor house at a slow but steady pace. The wagon had a pair of strong axels, and was quiet enough, but it would be loud if they put it to a test of speed. Their orcish prisoner was locked inside the wagon, and Enseth's steel form still stood motionless on the footman's stoop.

All was going well until a small band of orcs appeared on the road ahead. Lionel spotted them right away and he clicked at the horses who moved to high speed (though they were still limited to less than top-speed, with a mule and a warhorse tied behind the wagon - the mule in particular could not keep up if they went too fast and it would not do to risk tripping a fine warhorse). The guard manned the mounted crossbow and kept the orcs under fire as they rushed past.

The orcs chased them as far as the manor's gatehouse, where the arrows of defending elf guards caused them to retreat to the forest again. Lionel was safe, and he had brought the wagon safely to its destination, but he fretted about the safety of his friends.

The Daggerfordians and Sir Darfin

At that point, his friends were doing quite well. They worked their way through the forest up onto the ridge, along trails that Sir Darfin knew well. There was only one incident along their way to the riverside camp, when an orc scout had spotted Vairar and thought him to be alone. Vairar chased him into an ambush by the others, and they quickly took him prisoner. When questioned he revealed a relatively small force by the river, ordered to dam it to reduce the manor's water-supply.

The group all did their part well and got quite close to the camp before the alarm was raised.

OOC: I will return with an encounter set-up! Sorry I left this game for awhile.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Daggerfordians and the elves found themselves overlooking the river from above. Four orcs were on either side of a small floodplain, shovelling rock, dirt, and gravel into the river behind some larger, staked rocks. Nearby, a burly orc with a bandaged eye was yelling at them to work harder. Further upstream, three orcs were gathering large stones from the ground while a large-tusked orc stood by wearing two swords. Near that orc were two wolves, who howled as they smelled the group approaching (it was probably the bear that gave them away). The orcs did not immediately respond to this alarm.

OOC: I started you in a group, but everyone can have a free 15 feet worth of movement before beginning round 1 (to disperse). All the orcs are surprised, but the wolves will go.

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians & Sir Darfin vs Orc Encampment on the River
Riverside1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) OrcBlade (W27); OrcEye (R28); Wolf1 (Y26); Wolf2 (X28);
Orc1 (W22); O2 (Z22); O3 (U24); O4 (L34); O5 (M35); O6 (R32); O7 (T32);
(PCs) Angis (AN34); Dandin (AN35); Escella (AL36); Lionel (Manor);
Tommi (AL35); Titus (AL33); Vairar (AM34);
(NPCs) Morwin (AL33); ORB5 (AO33);
Blaze (Manor); Horses (Manor); Wagon (Manor);
(Elves) Darfin (AM36); SEG1 (AN36); SEG2 (AM35); SEG3 (Manor);
(Notes) Visibility: Bright; Terrain: Forest (Difficult); Cliffs (20 foot drop);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 35/40 HD 0/4 PP14* SS 0/3
Dandin AC14 HP 23/23 HD 3/4 PP14 SS 1/4 1/3 BI 0/3
Escella AC14 HP 24/24 HD 1/4 PP 14 SS 3/4 1/2 SP 0/3
Titus AC19* HP 30/30 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP11 SS 2/2
Tommi AC14 HP 26/28 HD 2/4 PP14
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 31/31 HD 0/4 PP13* SS 3/4 2/3
(NPCs)
Sir Darfin AC18 HP 60/60 PP 15*
SunElf Guard1 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
SunElf Guard2 AC16 HP 16/16 PP12*
Morwin (Tressym) AC12 HP 5/5 PP15*
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* SS 0/3
(At the Manor)
Lionel AC14 HP 35/35 HD 4/4 PP13
SunElf Guard3 AC16 HP 12/16 PP12*
Blaze (Warhorse) AC12 HP 19/19 HD 3/3 PP11
Horses(2) AC10 HP 19/19 HD 3/3 PP10
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
OrcEye 0;
OrcBlade 0;
Orcs O1 0; O2 0; O3 0; O4 0; O5 0; O6 0;O7 0;
Wolves W1 0; W2 0
GM: Begin Round One

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi feels Gutter pulse on his thigh when he initially reaches into his pocket for stones for his sling. He leaves the pebbles in his pocket, and instead runs forward, separating himself form the group. He makes good time, and slides seamlessly into the bushes without a single leaf budging.

OOC: Scatter: 15'+ Move 30' + Action: Dash 30' = 75' movement. Including double movement for forest, I think that places him in the forest square at AD33. (AK35 to AI35 (25' forest) to AF37 (20' - three squares plus diagonals) to AD34 (20' - three squares plus diagonals) to AD33 (10' - forest).)

Bonus: Stealth 1d20+4=22.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Sir Darfin again regrets not having prepared a decent fireball seeing how many orcs are bunched up together.
"Focus on the one-eyed one. He will have some power on him. And the big wolf-master."

With that, elf lord targets the shaman with one of his famous missing rays...except this time it leaves a burn mark on the shaman.

Move: AJ 32
Standard:
Firebolt vs One-eye; fire damage: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18
2D10 = [7, 2] = 9

Guard1: Move AJ31; Action: protect the lord
Guard2: Move: AI 34; Action: ready an attack

"I'll get them as they come up!"

Vairar moves on the edge of the cliff, his long reach enabling him to attack those coming from below.

OOC: stabbing downward should be possible while they still need to go around the bend.
Move: AH 35, 36 or 37, depending of the height difference, the idea is that he attacks from above and ideally cannot be attacked without moving further to enforce booming damage
Actions: Ready action
Pike attack; damage; thunder damage: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18
1D10+2 = [4]+2 = 6
1D8 = [4] = 4

Remove ads