D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi lobs a stone at the shadowy form assaulting Lionel. He can just make Orb5 out through the dimness.

OOC: Attack: 1d20+7=12. Miss. (even if with advantage = 13.)
No move. Bonus: dodge. 1 stone left. Reaction to half damage if relevant. HP 14/34.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As the shadow flew over her head to get at Vairar, Escella launched to eldritch bolts into it and the creature burst into smouldering smoke that mixed with the strange cloying substance that was obscuring the dim hallway. She reluctantly retreated back up the stairs to the center of the grand landing.

To the north, Lionel and Tommi also retreated to the landing, but they were followed by their shadow. It grabbed at Lionel as the halfling stabbed it in the centre mass while trying to escape. Lionel felt his arms grow heavy and he nearly dropped his sword, so heavy did it feel.

Tommi slung a stone at the thing, but it passed right through a swirl of blackness and clattered off of the opposite wall.

OOC: Shadow1 is gone. Shadow2 did 9 necrotic and 4 strength drain to Lionel.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Grand Staircase
Morning
Round 2

Angis cursed as the elf he’d found got trapped by two of the shadows. He dove back into the fray to rescue the stupid long-eared tree hugger. His battleaxe sliced through the first shadow, dissipating it, and Angis stepped forward to slice at the second, leaving it tattered, though still active.

Hunter’s Mark (52r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6+Dex 100/400
Bolts: 55
Bolts used:

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move: AR140, then step up to AR141
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack
Attack 1 Shadow 3: Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9
1D8+1D6+2 = [6]+[2]+2 = 10

Attack 2 Shadow 3: Should kill it Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [17]+5 = 22
1D8+1D6+2 = [5]+[2]+2 = 9

Bonus Action: Off hand attack Shadow 4. Should leave it at 1 hp
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
1D8+1D6+2 = [5]+[4]+2 = 11

Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [15]+5 = 20
1D8+1D6+2 = [1]+[6]+2 = 9

Hunter’s Mark (if needed): Shadow 3
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (Shadow 3)
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/58 HD: 2/6d10+2

Bolts: 50
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 2/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
Primal Awareness (cast each spell once per long rest): Speak with Animals, Beast Sense
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer

Vairar comes in the middle of the area, gauging the space carefully so he hits all shadows including those harassing the elf newcomer.

Raising his holy symbol he shouts at the creatures
"Begone, foul things! Trouble this house no more!"

Move: so that all shadows are within 30'
Action: Turn Undead - wisdom save DC 14 or fleeing (or destroyed)
Action: Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. It can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Destroy: if undead is CR 1/2 or less it is destroyed

EDIT: re-reading the posts, I can see at least two are already "dead" - if I missed the third, I'd save Turn Undead for later and simply attack the remaining one with Holy Radiance (CON DC 14, roll for damage)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar too moved up the stairs and returned to the landing. Seeing poor Lionel struggling with a shadow, he raised his holy symbol. For a moment he considered using one of his more powerful boons, but as he could make out through the fog, Angis hacking away with great vigour, he decided to save it and instead sent a quick burst of light out that banished the single shadow to nothingness.

Lionel had instinctively pulled his arms away, and the grey mark left by the shadow's grasping hand was not as injurious as it had looked, yet still his arms felt like lead and his feet felt like he had rocks in his boots.

Angis's axe sliced through a shadow, and the creature disappeared into the fog as if it had never been. One foe remained, and Angis sliced it too as it grabbed at Talynen, who staggered under its draining assault.

OOC: Lionel only took 4 damage, but he still has -4 strength. Viarar "killed" shadow #2 (radiant works well!). Talynen takes another 10 necrotic damage and -2 strength. Shadow 4 remains, but Talynen can probably finish it off. @Neurotic still to go.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar held his holy symbol higher and a light shone down the south staircase, banishing the last of the shadows. Half the group felt weak and tired, but there was still much to do.

GM: End of Encounter

OOC: Yeesh. Shadows are scary. I'd never used them before. (BTW Vairar can keep his channel divinity - I just threw in the above because I didn't want to run a whole round when the last shadow only needed one hit to drop.)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Grand Staircase
Morning
Round 0

Angis snorted and checked his axes before shoving them into his belt. “Ye okay, elf?” he asked the guard he had just saved. “Any others o’ those shadow beasties doon ‘ere somewhere?” He led the elf back to join the others in the circular landing. “Wot’s gaein’ on doon ‘ere?”

Hunter’s Mark (51r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6+Dex 100/400
Bolts: 55
Bolts used:

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack
Attack 1

Attack 2

Bonus Action:

Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack

Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (???)
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/58 HD: 2/6d10+2

Bolts: 50
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 2/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
Primal Awareness (cast each spell once per long rest): Speak with Animals, Beast Sense
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
The elf almost collapses, leaning against the wall.
"Thank you for the help, I thought I'm gone. I am Talynen"

He takes a deep breath and pushes away from the wall

"A little less than an hour ago, there was a lull in the fighting. The orcs pulled back from assaulting the kitchen wall. Sir Darfin left the kitchen to speak to Shalendra and didn't return.

Dornuk, that's the half-orc, who has been helping to lead the defenses was last seen upstairs, leading a few elves to stop the orcs from grappling up to the upper floors. I was left in charge in the kitchen, but then the cloying fog started rolling in from somewhere in the cellars.

I've sent two men: one to report to Sir Darfin and another to inform you all and Dornuk. When they didn't come back, I left another elf in charge and took a third man with him to investigate and get the jobs done. We were attacked by our own shadows! This is where you came in.

I believe The Lord should be to the north. I went this way because I believe the fog is coming from down there. There is something dangerous down there, dangerous for everyone in the area. And Thayans want it, whatever it is.

If you explore that, I will go find Sir Darfin."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases