ICv2's Latest Quarterly Chart: D&D Top, But PF2 Is Strong

The latest chart from ICv2 is up! This represents hobby channel sales through Summer 2019, which is May-August. ICv2 compiles these charts by interviewing retailers and distributors. Dungeons & Dragons comes in first, followed by Pathfinder, Shadowrun 6E, Vampire 5th Edition, and then the current Star Wars RPG from FFG. An interesting note is that core D&D books are not growing in hobby...

The latest chart from ICv2 is up! This represents hobby channel sales through Summer 2019, which is May-August. ICv2 compiles these charts by interviewing retailers and distributors.

pathfinder-2-playtest-cover-750x375.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons comes in first, followed by Pathfinder, Shadowrun 6E, Vampire 5th Edition, and then the current Star Wars RPG from FFG.

An interesting note is that core D&D books are not growing in hobby stores, because they struggle to compete with Amazon and WotC directly. Pathfinder 2E did better than expected (both of those statements came from hobby retailers). Interestingly, though it's May-August, PF2 only came out in August. I'm not sure how that affects things. You can read the full article at the link, but it's behind a paywall.

Last time (Spring 2019), Pathfinder was right at the bottom of the chart (as expected after a new edition is announced). Interestingly, Starfinder has dropped right off.

You can see all the charts in one big table going back to 2004 here.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah, it's weird that Starfinder went from #2 to off the list in 1 quarter.
I'm just spitballing, but I wonder if there's an implication that there's a fairly large group of Paizo loyalists who will move from game to game. It's also possible that Starfinder didn't have any large releases in the time period, but I don't follow it enough to know.

Happy to hear PF2 is doing well, I picked up the core rulebook for Christmas and I have to say the system is really growing on me.

Paizo had major delays with selling worldwide with Pathfinder 2E. I remember I waited 2 months for my Special Edition Corebook and Bestiary, only arrived in early October via distributors like Blackfire and Asmodee. So I think much of the worldwide sales would be in Q3.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I always felt that starfinder was a bridge revenue stream while sales dropped from PF1 and leading into PF2 release.

and what does hobby stores can’t compete with WOTC directly? They don’t sell directly like Paizo.

I always felt that starfinder was a bridge revenue stream while sales dropped from PF1 and leading into PF2 release.

and what does hobby stores can’t compete with WOTC directly? They don’t sell directly like Paizo.
From the context, even though D&D is getting bigger the FLGS's aren't seeing much of an increase in their sales. Still there best seller, but sales are not growing at the same rate as the popularity.

And when the refer to WotC I think they are refering to DM's Guild. So PDF sales, even though that isn't really WotC selling directly.

darjr

I crit!
It isn’t really growing at Amazon either. More like super high steady sales. Dang have times changed. Used to be D&D was an afterthought at most FLGS.

Dave2

Villager
Shadow run 6e is news despite some negative views on drivethru and dome streams. It still seems to be selling well. That is good news. Liked the system despite sun rough edges.

Remove ads

Remove ads