D&D General Idea for a cosmos eons after an "inverse apocalypse" and an unusual deity that rises as a result.

No idea, but personally i would argue the doing evil things simply to provide a release from boredom and stagnation would in fact make that hero/deity evil not good. In my view, that is not enough of a reason to manifest evil.
"Release from boredom and stagnation" is quite the understatement and quite tye oversimplification.

Its basically to save the world from an eternal fate worse than death, but to make that clearer than in just a general sense id have to type up page after page after page to explain it with examples.

It would be pretty bad though. You have to remember, in d&d good, evil, law (arguably order), and chaos are mor than just morals. They are underlying physics on a cosmic level. If good is literally starving to death it will do more than cause stagnation and boredom.

dave2008

Legend
"Release from boredom and stagnation" is quite the understatement and quite tye oversimplification.

Its basically to save the world from an eternal fate worse than death, but to make that clearer than in just a general sense id have to type up page after page after page to explain it with examples.
OK, that is what I took from the discussion so far. If is something more, than is the society truly "good?" Personally, I prefer the evil creature doing evil things that actually makes things "better." But they are both old and tried concepts. There are lots of examples if your looking for inspiration.

It would be pretty bad though. You have to remember, in d&d good, evil, law (arguably order), and chaos are mor than just morals. They are underlying physics on a cosmic level. If good is literally starving to death it will do more than cause stagnation and boredom.
No that is not how it works in D&D, maybe that is how it works in your D&D.

EDIT. Just realized your concept is basically Thanos from the MCU

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not sure. Was there a rising star deity that fixed things by intentionally becoming this awful figurehead for evil so that good could have aomething to fight and revitalize?

No. But a group of adventurers do it in Villains By Necessity by Eve Forward. And the group is totally a bunch of D&D characters, like, down to having recognizable classes.

OK, that is what I took from the discussion so far. If is something more, than is the society truly "good?" Personally, I prefer the evil creature doing evil things that actually makes things "better." But they are both old and tried concepts. There are lots of examples if your looking for inspiration.

Good evil law and chaos are actually physically real in d&d.

This dates back a ways.

It has to do with platonic philosophy and the concepts like the "realm of forms".

So its not my d&d. Its the writers standard for many editions. Where there are differences either in editions or campaigns is actually the departure from standard. Im reciting this directly from what a lot of basic cosmology was based on.

Look at the great wheel (and a few other planar cosmologies. Not just that one). Their base form was derived from the ancient greek notions im talking about which were very old atomist and platonic notions.

So no. Not my d&d. That is actually the default inspiration until u so choose to deviate. Which you are welcome to do. Nothing wrong with that. But its not just my d&d. Its been typical cosmology for a long while at this point. Not every edition of course.

Also facepalm youre right. Thanos did a similar thing. Thankyou.

dave2008

Legend

This dates back a ways.

It has to do with platonic philosophy and the concepts like the "realm of forms".

So its not my d&d. Its the writers standard for many editions. Where there are differences either in editions or campaigns is actually the departure from standard. Im reciting this directly from what a lot of basic cosmology was based on.

Look at the great wheel (and a few other planar cosmologies. Not just that one). Their base form was derived from the ancient greek notions im talking about which were very old atomist and platonic notions.

So no. Not my d&d. That is actually the default inspiration until u so choose to deviate. Which you are welcome to do. Nothing wrong with that. But its not just my d&d. Its been typical cosmology for a long while at this point. Not every edition of course.
That is completely irrelevant to actually playing D&D though. The fiction created by the writers has little to no effect on how you actually play the game (unless you want it to of course). I played D&D for 20+ years with just the 1e PHB, DMG, MM 1 & 2, and the BECMI boxes. We used none of the concepts of good, evil, and chaos as physically real or anything more than vague anthropocentric morality. We didn't even use the great wheel or any cosmos really. You don't need those things to play D&D, the game works 100% without them (even more so now). The closest thing you get to having it baked in is alignment. Which we never used and it had no effect on our games! I don't know why we didn't use it in the beginning (to long ago to remember), but even when it was a part of the game in a real way it was so easy to ignore that when we started playing 4e it didn't even register that they removed the mechanics behind alignment.

Many writers may have written about it over the years, it may be a part of TSR or WotC lore, but that doesn't make it real or true in the actual game, and definitely not true at our table or any table I've played at. I will always argue D&D is not some fiction written in a book, but the fiction we create with friends from the rules and guidelines written in a book. The rules, like a rock, don't care, and neither do I.

Sorry for the rant, I'm procrastinating actually working. :p

EDIT: To clarify, I personally don't believe in good & evil, so that colors my perception and how I play games.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

They were in the past, but not in 5e. Alignment has no longer mechanical impact in the system. It is now merely a sort of role-playing guideline - you cannot detect alignment (you can detect celestials and other off-plane entities) you can't protect against it. Magic no longer interacts with alignment, and it is no longer "real" in any meaningful way.

This thread is not particularly intended for 5e so thats fine. Besides, in 5e i agree
They were in the past, but not in 5e. Alignment has no longer mechanical impact in the system. It is now merely a sort of role-playing guideline - you cannot detect alignment (you can detect celestials and other off-plane entities) you can't protect against it. Magic no longer interacts with alignment, and it is no longer "real" in any meaningful way.

Remove ads