D&D 5E If the characters are super optimized should the monsters be boosted too?

collin

Explorer
I ran into a similar problem not too long ago in running a Pathfinder adventure. I had allowed the players to roll up characters that were somewhat extreme in stats just to see what would happen. What I found worked best was not increasing the difficulty of the monsters, but rather just keep throwing more monsters at them (or a combination of the 2). So, even if you have 16's, 17's, and 18's for most or all of your stats, and feats to go with it, eventually you will get hit by the 100 minions and will not have time to recover because they are swarming you - like zombies. They were basically CR 6+ characters taking on CR 3 monsters, but there were only 6 of them and I had about 30 low-level creatures that just kept on coming in a confined space where the characters could not run away.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Am I missing something or should I be adjusting monsters to fit the optimized characters?
You can stick to the basic exp guidelines, and offer more of a challenge, be leaning more towards larger encounters. Being outnumbered by slightly savvy foes (who don't just line up in fireball formation, for instance), can be much more challenging than taking on the same unadjusted exp value in the form of a single 'big' monster.

That might be a little unintuitive, but it's why D&D has that adjustment for number of monsters in the encounter.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

We've been playing 5E for a year now and one thing I'm starting to notice is the characters as they reach mid upper levels are starting to blast through monsters like a hot knife through butter.

To give a bit of background the characters are fairly optimized but only in so far as taking the feats available to them, having pretty good stats, and well above average hit points.

Has anyone else noticed that the monsters in the Monster Manual seem a little underpowered?

-in regards to the boldface- *DING DING DING!* We have a winner! ;)

Y'See... Feats are OPTIONAL in the 5e rules. They are NOT considered with regards to ANYTHING in the game, because, well, they are assumed to NOT be used. If you are using them, it is up to you to adjust what needs adjusting. In general, this means more work for the DM, more time spend by the DM writing stuff out, more time and effort spent trying to remember what character can do what, and, IMHO, more of a headache than letting players moan and whine for a session about not being able to use Feats. Feats are like crack to players... once they start, they will only want more and more, eventually trying to "sneak stuff by" other players and DM's via unusual rules interpretations and eventually getting to the outright point of just cheating/omission (e.g, "What? I only get to choose one feat at level 8? I thought it was a Feat in place of a +1 to a stat, and you get +2 stat bonuses. Sorry...but, well, my character is already established, can I just knock down my Charisma by 2 points to balance it out?" ).

Lord Vangarel said:
As an example last night the characters were due to fight an adult Green dragon, and given previous recent experience I decided to boost it by giving it two young dragons as a boost. Anyway the end result was that the party blitzed all three and an npc spellcaster and the only character really in any danger during the encounter was the party wizard due to lower AC and hit points.

Now it's not just dragons but this is especially relevant as dragons are supposed to be the big uber bad guys in the game however they're not. Dragons are now skirmishers having to cut and run at every opportunity. If the dragon stays at range it gets blitzed by range attacks (Sharp Shooter is just mad) and ranged spells. If it engages in a melee fight it lasts 2-3 rounds before dying (Great Weapon Master is equally mad).

Am I missing something or should I be adjusting monsters to fit the optimized characters?

I suppose you kinda have to, don't you? However, in the end, you're players will likely hate you for it (or otherwise feel you "suck at DM'ing"). In their crack-addled...er... "Feat-addled" brains, the core reason for carefully choosing Feats, weapons, classes and spells is to easily overcome bad guys. They're thinking "I do 10 damage, and it takes me 3 rounds to kill Monster Type A...If I take this Feat, that class ability, and the wizard casts Spell Y on me, I can do 33 damage and kill it in one round! Yeah...I'll do that!". The very moment you try and balance it out by, say, adding two more of the monsters, so they are back to square one (re: it still takes them 3 rounds to 'win'), they will start taking notice. The more powerful they get, the more balance you have to introduce, the more pissed off they will get at the "uselessness of taking Feats".

IMHO, you should adjust play style so that the BBEG doesn't simply involve "fighting more BBEG's". That is, set up the story so that they can choose to just lay waste to the dragons, but if they choose to parley with them they get a LOT more benefit. In stead of putting in more monsters or monsters with more HP's, put things in place that require the PLAYERS to think and make decisions based on more than just what their characters can do. Start introducing NPC's, locations, animals, or whatever, that the PLAYERS actually become emotionally attached to (or at least invested in). Of course, you are likely to end up in almost the same situation... with the players being annoyed and throwing up their hands, claiming "Whats the point of taking Feats if they aren't going to really matter?". But at least this way they may care less and less about taking them, but care more and more about everything else that a full-bodied D&D campaign (re: the exploration, the NPC's, and all the other verisimilitude of choice available in an RPG).

Bottom Line: Just don't use feats. :) Me? I told my players: Go ahead and choose Feats if you want... but I will deliberately, purposefully, and with great joy, pleasure and satisfaction, balance out *your characters* foes against you; so if you get +10 to damage, I'll just give them +10 hp times a number of rounds they would have likely lasted against you without that +10 -- so if it would have taken you 3 rounds to kill it normally, it will have +30 hp against *your PC*. In short... think of Feats as a zero-sum game. You will NEVER be "more powerful"...your feats will be primarily for flavour and role-playing; mechanics will be far, FAR down on the list of bonuses, in the end." At first my players were like "What?!? That's stupid! Whats the point?!?. Now, however, only some have feats and those feats "fit the character". They get the Sharpshooter to shoot a message-arrow through a small broken pane of glass in the bandit-lords hideout because they see it as "A cool thing you'd see in a movie or read in a story"... but they don't assume the Sharpshooter is going to lay waste to said bandit lord with a bajillion killer arrow shots in two rounds when they meet him. Because, well, they know I'm going to 'fix it' so that that doesn't happen. They know it will be fair, and they know to try and use the feats for "flavour and story purposes first, being more powerful a distant second". Next campaign, however, no Feats as a base.

PS: Sorry if I re-iterated something others have said; didn't have time to read all the pages as I have to head out to the in-laws to try and fix a tail light on my van.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

designbot

Explorer
By the book, an Adult Green Dragon and two Young Green Dragons are almost double the recommended difficulty of a Deadly encounter for six level 10 characters, so yeah, something's not right.

S

Sunseeker

Yes. I optimize encounters when my players optimize. I increase the number of enemies, add in more terrain features and play the monsters more strategically. Monsters may use magic items or artifacts during battle just as the party would, especially if the creatures are intelligent enough to recognize and operate them.

transtemporal

Explorer
Was the scene fun for both you and the players? Did it tell an exciting, memorable story? Your objections seem to be centered around the scene not lasting as long as you would like or not doing enough damage to the characters. What's your metric for determining when a scene is long enough or damaging enough?

This is a really good point I think. Long fights aren't necessarily fun and in 5e, they generally reduced monster hp from previous editions and increased damage. So they were aiming for short, punchy fights as opposed to long 4e mmo-style battles of attrition.

Our group is low level but our experience has been that "deadly" encounters really are deadly. We've had numerous deaths and near TPKs. But I think the landscape might change at mid and high levels. What I've observed as a player is that more monsters make the battle a heck of a lot harder than I would probably have anticipated. Also, going into another battle just after completing one big battle is tough.

Uchawi

First Post
Hiya!

Bottom Line: Just don't use feats. :) Me? I told my players: Go ahead and choose Feats if you want... but I will deliberately, purposefully, and with great joy, pleasure and satisfaction, balance out *your characters* foes against you; so if you get +10 to damage, I'll just give them +10 hp times a number of rounds they would have likely lasted against you without that +10 -- so if it would have taken you 3 rounds to kill it normally, it will have +30 hp against *your PC*. In short... think of Feats as a zero-sum game. You will NEVER be "more powerful"...your feats will be primarily for flavour and role-playing; mechanics will be far, FAR down on the list of bonuses, in the end." At first my players were like "What?!? That's stupid! Whats the point?!?. Now, however, only some have feats and those feats "fit the character". They get the Sharpshooter to shoot a message-arrow through a small broken pane of glass in the bandit-lords hideout because they see it as "A cool thing you'd see in a movie or read in a story"... but they don't assume the Sharpshooter is going to lay waste to said bandit lord with a bajillion killer arrow shots in two rounds when they meet him. Because, well, they know I'm going to 'fix it' so that that doesn't happen. They know it will be fair, and they know to try and use the feats for "flavour and story purposes first, being more powerful a distant second". Next campaign, however, no Feats as a base.

PS: Sorry if I re-iterated something others have said; didn't have time to read all the pages as I have to head out to the in-laws to try and fix a tail light on my van.

^_^

Paul L. Ming
If you take that approach every time a caster chooses a spell I am cool with it. There is not much for martial characters to improve on besides feats, so the adjustments should go around the table. I believe you get a lot of mileage by taking players/characters out of their element, but considering 5E does not have a deep tactical element to it, you only get so much mileage with terrains, etc.

Part of this is likely optimization, and part is likely the monster math of the MM critters is a little low, especially compared to the DMG values. One of the problems with running a two year concept test focusing 90% on PC classes and skimping on the actual playtesting, let alone testing the monsters.

So, yeah, it's a good idea to slap on some extra hp and damage to your monsters. Even for average parties. And for optimized parties, slap on the same, and every so often slap on even more or add a few extra monsters and not increase the xp awarded. It's a good idea to just let optimized players faceroll over the occasional encounter - so they feel the value in their optimization - but don't let them get away with it all the time or the game will get boring.

transtemporal

Explorer
Bottom Line: Just don't use feats. :) Me? I told my players: Go ahead and choose Feats if you want... but I will deliberately, purposefully, and with great joy, pleasure and satisfaction, balance out *your characters* foes against you; so if you get +10 to damage, I'll just give them +10 hp times a number of rounds they would have likely lasted against you without that +10 -- so if it would have taken you 3 rounds to kill it normally, it will have +30 hp against *your PC*. In short... think of Feats as a zero-sum game. You will NEVER be "more powerful"...your feats will be primarily for flavour and role-playing; mechanics will be far, FAR down on the list of bonuses, in the end."

I really disagree with this approach Paul. Any time DM adjudication turns into a kneejerk adversarial DM vs Players situation, is a bad situation.

DM "There is a +3 sword!"
Player "Awesome, I pick it up!"
DM "Just know that if you do, monster hp instantly scale up 300%!"
Player "Oh.. Ok, I guess I don't pick it up..."
DM "Are you sure? It's a +3 sword, it's really nice, does a lot of damage."
Player "No I'm good"
DM "OK wow, thats your choice player!"

You see how that's not really a choice? You notice how the DM gets away with seeming like he's a nice guy for giving a +3 sword that his players can't actually use without screwing themselves?

S

Sunseeker

Part of this is likely optimization, and part is likely the monster math of the MM critters is a little low, especially compared to the DMG values. One of the problems with running a two year concept test focusing 90% on PC classes and skimping on the actual playtesting, let alone testing the monsters.

Yeah, I tend to agree that if your group is anything shy of the most demented, disorganized, least-combat-ready assortment of mooks, it's almost impossible to fail to defeat anything in the DMG.

Remove ads