D&D 5E If you aren't buying magic items, where will you spend your gold?

CapnZapp

Legend
What does chock full mean to you? There is nowhere near what was in previous editions. We're going through Hoard right now, one ring by fifth level. We've been searching every group of enemies we find. You supposedly found a ton? What level are you? So I imagine every character in the group must have what...three magic items each by what level? Explain what chock full means in terms of per character by what level and how that constitutes sufficient magic for an economy.
It should be obvious, but you need to ask your DM if he or she holds back on the published loot.

In order for us to compare apples to apples, please read through the published adventure module (rather than relate your personal game experiences).

In fact, you don't even have to do that: a quick search reveals several threads on these very forums listing the loot that WotC have seen fit to hand out to adventurers participating in the official adventures, you know, the adventures that showcase the game and set our expectations.

But just to start with, Lost Mine takes you from level 1 through 4 (reaching lvl 5), and hands out at least one +1 weapon and one +1 armor, boots of striding and springing, gauntlets of ogre power, a ring of protection, two staffs, and at least one wand. That is in addition to potions and scrolls, and thousands of gold.

Even if you divide this haul by four - and even if you don't assume any given group actually finds everything - it adds up to at least two solid items per character.

Alternatively, the adventure sets the expectation for one solid item every other level.

I'd say the published adventures effectively shatter any notion that magic items are "rare" or "priceless". They pop up as frequently as in d20, I'd say, so I expect WotC to provide an economy sooner than later.

What the adventures do not is to provide for any meaningful way to spend gold. In fact, they read as if they were written with the traditional magic item economy in mind; as if the gold could actually be spent on stuff, like in previous editions.

Hereticus

First Post
In order for us to compare apples to apples, please read through the published adventure module (rather than relate your personal game experiences).

Reading through the pages here, the "published adventure module" that most people are playing and basing their opinion on (regarding magic items) is the Horde of the Dragon Queen.

As both Celtavian and myself (amongst others) said was that our parties have achieved fourth level and the magic item count is zero (excluding scrolls and potions).

How 'bout them apples!

But just to start with, Lost Mine takes you from level 1 through 4 (reaching lvl 5), and hands out at least one +1 weapon and one +1 armor, boots of striding and springing, gauntlets of ogre power, a ring of protection, two staffs, and at least one wand. That is in addition to potions and scrolls, and thousands of gold.

Even if you divide this haul by four - and even if you don't assume any given group actually finds everything - it adds up to at least two solid items per character.

Alternatively, the adventure sets the expectation for one solid item every other level.

I'd say the published adventures effectively shatter any notion that magic items are "rare" or "priceless". They pop up as frequently as in d20, I'd say, so I expect WotC to provide an economy sooner than later.

What the adventures do not is to provide for any meaningful way to spend gold. In fact, they read as if they were written with the traditional magic item economy in mind; as if the gold could actually be spent on stuff, like in previous editions.

A party of four hit level five and had accumulated two magic items each, half equivalent to +1 items... well there goes the case for low amounts of magic.

valis

Explorer
ITT: people who haven't read the downtime section in the PHB and seen that you can spend gold for proficiency.

Ruzak

First Post
Greenspace.
A ranger or druid might buy wilderness near civilization to protect it from poachers or settlers.

sithramir

First Post
I just want to add about selling magic items: why would people do it? Because people become desperate. The kings coffers are empty but selling his fathers magical boots might allow him time to solve it.

There is no amazon but there also is no running water or guaranteed jobs. Bad things happen and people need money when they do.

Dragon ravaged your village? Would you rather have a magic item or food in your kids bellies and a roof to live under?

Grainger

Explorer
I don't understand why it would be a problem to spend the money. Your character could set up guilds, raise armies, build fortresses... basically try to shape the world he/she lives in. For me, that's infinitely more interesting than getting a stupid magical bandage of cuckolding, or whatever item is currently de rigour.

Nebulous

Legend
I love all these ideas. I've been leveling the pcs up very fast at low level. Come 5th I'm going to change gears and use the training method. It also helps to think "how would most people in a medieval age use wealth?" luxury or power or both.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm reminded that in Game of Thrones, King Robert Baratheon was massively in debt. Might that not be the case in a D&D game, too? A king overspends, and needs to borrow funds from prominent adventurers to cover his debts. But now he owes them

Nebulous

Legend
I hope the DMG has guidelines similar to the ideas here for spending wealth. I mean, that seems worthy of a chunk of the book, especially given how open-ended it is.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I hope the DMG addresses this issue too because in 1E and 2E gold became irrelevant after a certain level because the PCs had nothing to spend it on. Whole troves of coinage became ignored by PCs because they only wanted magic items.

The magic item shop (and expensive magic item crafting) solves the issue. (But certainly leads to other issues.)

Remove ads