OSR If you were going to commit to one clone of older edition D&D going forward, what would it be?

If you were going to commit to one clone of older edition D&D going forward, what would it be?

• Amazing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Labyrinth Lord

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Old School Essentials (Basic)

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • OSRIC

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Swords & Wizardry Complete

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swords & Wizardry Core

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swords & Wizardry White Box

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other (Answer in comments!)

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Poll closed .

darjr

I crit!
Apologies, if this is bad form let me know and I’ll delete.

Old School Essentials is half off for about the next 16 hours.

Choice 1: 3.5e, with adventures and materials imported from Basic, AD&D, 2e, 3e, PF1, and 5e. It’s what I already do, and it’s designed to be able to absorb older sensibilities and of course PF1 is just a branch.

Specifically, I mean only PHB, DMG, LGG, and Monster books. Everything else is banned unless I decide to admit it. That means I have around a half dozen extra feats, 1 extra prestige class, 1 homebrew class variant, all from Splatbook, Unesrthed Arcana, modified PF1, etc.

Choice 2: AD&D 1e, Core Rules. I haven’t run it for 20 years, but it’s good.

Same stipulation on the same Core Rules books only, with selected rules from Unearthed Arcana and maybe Oriental Adventures.

Orius

Legend
Hackmaster picks you!

It's the Soviet Russia of RPGs!

Choice 1: 3.5e, with adventures and materials imported from Basic, AD&D, 2e, 3e, PF1, and 5e. It’s what I already do, and it’s designed to be able to absorb older sensibilities and of course PF1 is just a branch.

Specifically, I mean only PHB, DMG, LGG, and Monster books. Everything else is banned unless I decide to admit it. That means I have around a half dozen extra feats, 1 extra prestige class, 1 homebrew class variant, all from Splatbook, Unesrthed Arcana, modified PF1, etc.

That's pretty much how I roll, but I prefer 3.0. The only thing I consider completely better about 3.5 are the skills. Some of the things changed are okay, but I don't see 3.5 as an improvement as a whole.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
... that ACTUAL AD&D 1e is still available (via POD even). So I picked up the three core books, UA, Dungeons of Doom, and Temple of Elemental Evil. I'll look at some of the other suggestions in this thread as well. Thanks, folks!
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Why retro clone, when you can just retro?

Last edited:

Remove ads