• Warlock

Votes: 29 17.6%
  • Warlord

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 19 11.5%

Saitou

First Post
Have any of you even begun doing the math on some of the Rogue's more damage dealing powers? It gets very ridiculous very quickly.

MindWanderer

First Post
I voted Wizard, but it's a close decision for me. The wizard is the class that least involves just hitting things over and over again. The other classes have various flavors of hitting things, but it's still mainly just hitting things. Wizard controller powers are much more exciting, IMO. Cleric gets second place, for the same reason.

Zsig

Explorer
I chose Wizard and I'll try to explain why.

Firstly, all classes seems to be balanced for combat and combat only. They all have tons of damage abilities. In this aspect they're all balanced, and to me it's more a difference in flavor. It's all about damage.

The only thing that makes you more interesting (imho) is the utility you can provide to the party outside combat. And you'd think that "Utility Powers" means exactly that, utility you can provide outside combat. But that's not right, you'll be lucky if you end up with more than a couple "utility" powers that are useful outside combat.

The Wizard is the class that presents the most useful stuff both in AND outside combat. Really, just take a look on those cantrips. Hell, I think I'd take a Wizard over any other class simply because of the cantrips! And some of them are useful even inside combat, for example Ghost Sound doesn't allow a save nor asks for an attack roll!!!

That and the fact that Wizards Utility Powers are extremely useful: Dispel Magic, Invisibility, Fly, etc...

Let's not forget that Wizards are also the most versatile class out there, the Spellbook allows you to have much more stuff than any others (daily and utility)

Now, if that wasn't enough, Wizards also get Ritual Caster right from the start, they don't need to waste feats on that, and compared to the only other Ritual Caster (the cleric) you get quite a few Rituals for free!

Most people are underlooking Wizards because they're not as powerful as they used to be in 3e. Sure, they lost alot of stuff that could turn them invincible, but in a scenario where all everyone can do is Damage others or work in combat, Wizards still shine.

Last edited:

whydirt

First Post
I do find it odd that they were able to make the Warlock pacts seem so different while leaving the Cleric options to be all muddled together in a stew of sameness.

brehobit

Explorer
mattdm said:
I had to vote wizard, because it seems to have survived the much-expected nerfing with more flavor intact than I thought possible. I want to play one for the first time since 3E came out.

Ditto. Between rituals and everything else, I really really like them.

Argyuile

First Post
Saitou said:
Have any of you even begun doing the math on some of the Rogue's more damage dealing powers? It gets very ridiculous very quickly.

I think in the long run the ranger is going to out damage the rogue. Just from a baseline the ranger is using a d10 instead of a d4 or a d6. That effects every single x[w] power and every single attack. The rogue is going to do more damage when he has combat advantage but is he going to have it the whole fight or even the majority of it? The ranger has some pretty damn nice damage dealing feats as well.

Saitou

First Post
That's a fairly accurate assessment.... if you don't take into account the Rogue Paragon Path, Daggermaster.

Long story short, crit on 18-20, increase dagger die one size.

Remove ads