D&D 5E In-combat reactions

Kabouter Games

Explorer
No, I'm not talking about "...as a reaction, you may..." rules. I'm talking about rules adjudicating how monsters react to PCs/situations. For example, when the kobold chieftain is slain, and a PC calls for the rest of the kobolds to surrender, where are the rules to resolve this interaction? For the life of me, I can't find it in either the PHB or DMG. I don't want to make it up as I go along.

If there is no RAW, how do you handle it at your table?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No, I'm not talking about "...as a reaction, you may..." rules. I'm talking about rules adjudicating how monsters react to PCs/situations. For example, when the kobold chieftain is slain, and a PC calls for the rest of the kobolds to surrender, where are the rules to resolve this interaction? For the life of me, I can't find it in either the PHB or DMG. I don't want to make it up as I go along.

The same as any other thing the players describe wanting their characters to do:

1. Get a clear goal and approach from the player.
2. Judge whether it is a success, a failure, or whether the outcome is uncertain.
3. Apply an appropriate rule to resolve any uncertainty.
4. Narrate the result of the adventurer's action.

In your example, the player's approach is not entirely clear, but his or her goal is. So I'd ask the player, "How do you approach the call to surrender? What do you say or do, specifically?" If you as DM believe the outcome is uncertain, a Charisma (Intimidation) check might be appropriate if the player described the character's approach as trying to influence the kobolds via threats, violence, or other hostile action. It might be some other ability check if the player describes some other approach to achieving the goal.

Arcshot

First Post
I had a similar situation and decided to let the PCs won the day with their creativity..
For days, the players was fleeing from hobgoblins riding on dire wolves in the forest. The powerful Hobgoblin Warlord riding his winter wolf found them but was eventually killed by the PCs after a tough battle. The Ranger found more tracks of wolf riders near their home base (which they were desperately trying to get to). One PC decided to cut off the head of the warlord before riding their horses hard through the forest. More and more wolf riders appeared and pursued as the PCs galloped madly ahead. The PC with the warlord's head held it high in the wind and they declared the death of their big boss. The hobgoblin dismayed at the demise of their warlord, lost morale and gave up the chase. Upon reaching the fortified home base, PC put the severed head on a pole outside the gate to deter any further attacks.

Not only I feel that I made the right decision of not depending on random rolls in that particular situation, it gives the players the satisfaction of using creative ideas to solve problems rather than using force.

BoldItalic

First Post

There are optional Morale rules in the DMG, p.273. Does that help?

the Jester

Legend
I use morale rules- though I lean toward the old BECMI "2d6" system for it. And I largely wing it.

Adjudicating these kinds of things is exactly what you are for as the DM.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Apart from checking the kobolds' morale, as per the DMG variant, at the moment their leader is slain, if they succeed and don't run or surrender as a result, I would resolve the PC's call for surrender as a social interaction using the Conversation Reaction rules in the DMG. Considering the kobolds' hostility and the relative risk of surrender, the DC would be quite high, but I'd also probably apply a situational bonus, such as advantage, for their leader being slain.

Shiroiken

Legend
I use morale rules- though I lean toward the old BECMI "2d6" system for it. And I largely wing it.

Adjudicating these kinds of things is exactly what you are for as the DM.
I strongly second this. It shouldn't be based on an ability, as the 5E one uses (because sometime retreat is the smarter decision). I usually start it on 7, with 2 lower in lair, check after each leader is killed, and each round after 50% slain. I adjust the number based on the type of creature (heroic, cowardly, noble, etc.).

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Honestly, in my campaign, the kobolds would probably surrender or rout without any prompting from the players. The PCs have basically won by that point; why would the kobolds fight a losing battle?

Remove ads