• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Middle of...Somewhere [OOC Thread]

Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
The concept can make it without the cohort, though I don't think a 4th level fighter type is going to have the effect on a EL 6 party you mentioned. I'd like to use several feats from the Complete Arcane, including Sudden Maximize, Sudden Extend, Weapon Focus(ranged touch) and Split Ray. Basically I'm going to move him from a conjurer to a blast artist, to keep things simple.

I'd also like to use Lesser Orb of Fire, and Orb of Fire, from the Complete Arcane book.
Spells and feats there are fine.

As for the Cohort. True, 4th level won't have that much of an effect, but sometimes just having numbers can really change things. Technically 6 people throws things off as is, and even lower levels after that can be a bit much. Not only that, but it can bog combat down more, and with the way PbPs are...well, its already slow.

I love cohorts, but I see it getting in the way of too many other things for this game. Course, if you're really set on it, I can probably be talked into it. :p

Mellubb

First Post
Adam Longstin
Human Ranger 6
NG
STR 10
DEX 15
CON 12
INT 15
WIS 12
CHA 8

Adam is very full of himself, very arrogant. He more often than not lets his bravado stop him from making the right decisions. Though he is very outspoken he is often times abrasive. He looks for adventure to help him prove himself to others. He hopes this Safari he is paid so much to attend will bolster his reputation with his colleagues. They hope it will be a much deserved piece of humble pie.
He is very much high society with a deep love for nature. He is an adamant hunter but is always careful not to waste or take too much.

Let me know what you think.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Is there a place for me ? ^^ I like the idea of the game, I always wanted to make some Ship things =D
Is there ok with you if I play a warlock? I have been wanting to play a warlock since I read the class in complete arcana.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Spells and feats there are fine.

As for the Cohort. True, 4th level won't have that much of an effect, but sometimes just having numbers can really change things. Technically 6 people throws things off as is, and even lower levels after that can be a bit much. Not only that, but it can bog combat down more, and with the way PbPs are...well, its already slow.

I love cohorts, but I see it getting in the way of too many other things for this game. Course, if you're really set on it, I can probably be talked into it. :p

PbP games are slow, it's taken a couple of months for us to finish the first adventure of my own campaign, and that's not completely finished yet. The cohort idea is one I really like, since it gives the best of both worlds, but I can see this sorcerer wreaking significant havoc all by himself. And if he's going to be a blaster rather then a mad conjuror type, the cohort isn't really necessary as a straight man, either. :)

Legildur

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Legildur: 12, 6, 14, 11, 15, 11
Tough to build a decent monk with those scores (as it would have been with a 28 point build). Maybe I'll shift to a rogue..... I can't say I've seen anyone else stick their hand up for one of those yet.....

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Oooh... shiny ship based action! One such game of mine just died, though I was going crazy conjurer guy there. :)

I'd like to propose a swashbuckler (Complete Warrior), though I'd recommend the fixes we made over at Living Eberron (included in the SBLOCK). You can also see what other games I've played in via my signature (if you go to the full sig link and click on Col, you'll see the character I was talking about, though it would be nothing like this one).

I prefer point buy.

[sblock=Living Eberron Swashbuckler]The Swashbuckler base class has the following changes:
  • D8 Hit Dice
  • 6 Skill points per level
  • The following are additional class skills: Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (nobility & royalty), Ride, and Sleight of Hand
  • The class ability progression has been modified to use the following (changes in bold):
    1. Weapon Finesse
    2. Grace +1 (Initiative, Reflex)
    3. Insightful Strike
    4. Improved Disarm
    5. Graceful Defense (AC, Disarm)
    6. -
    7. Acrobatic Charge
    8. Improved Flanking
    9. Accelerated Tumbling
    10. Critical Finesse
    11. Grace +2, lucky
    12. -
    13. Acrobatic skill Mastery
    14. Weakening critical
    15. Improved Insightful Strike
    16. Really Lucky
    17. Slippery Mind
    18. -
    19. Wounding critical
    20. Grace +3
    Grace - Adds competence bonus to Initiative as well as Reflex Save.

Improved Disarm - As feat, even if swashbuckler doesn't qualify for it normally.

Graceful Defense - Grace bonus is also added as a dodge bonus to AC when wearing light or no armor and to disarm attempts/resisting being disarmed when using a finesse weapon.

Accelerated Tumbling - When wearing light armor or no armor and not carrying more than a light load, a swashbuckler may Tumble up to their full speed instead of half their speed.

Critical Finesse - When wearing light or no armor, and using a finesse weapon, the swashbuckler is considered to have the Improved Critical feat with any finesse weapon he wields.

Improved Insightful Strike - A swashbuckler may add their Intelligence bonus (if any) to attack roles to confirm a critical hit with a finesse weapon.

Really Lucky - May use luck a second time per day, though only once on any roll.[/sblock]

As a heads up...we're at about 9 interested people here, so I'm going to close recruitment as such. So at this point, once we've got characters well fleshed out enough I'll approve 6 and the other 3 will be alternates in the case of deaths, general dissappearing, etc.

So...

Voda Vosa:

Warlock is fine by me.

stonegod:

If you want to use the Swashbuckler I'd rather stick with the book version. That tweaked version is interesting, but at this point I'd prefer to stick with known quantities on my end. Makes things that much easier, really.

Oh, and technically this isn't ship fighting action. In case I didn't make it clear(and I didn't, now that I re-read), this is post-ship. For the forseeable future of this game, ships will be a dream of the PCs to get off the island they've gotten stuck on. :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
stonegod:

If you want to use the Swashbuckler I'd rather stick with the book version. That tweaked version is interesting, but at this point I'd prefer to stick with known quantities on my end. Makes things that much easier, really.
Understood. Will probably then do swash 3/something else 3 as the core swash really has nothing going for it after third (thus the rewrite). Might do rogue if I can get one of those swash/rogue combo feats from complete scoundrel.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Well heres some 'preview' of my character, with 28 points buy. I didn't upgrade the abilities for that reason. I have some questions though, I put the Empower spell-like ability as a feat, I don't know if its ok with you. The sheet is in html format.

Attachments

• Bonamius.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 79

hero4hire

Explorer
Well if you are still recruiting I would like to make up a cleric who is a travelling missionary, spreading the faith while helping and healing others.

I'll work with whatever you roll for me. :)

edit: sorry just noticed you closed recruitment last night.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads