• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Incorporeal

AlwaysAThief

First Post
My Arcane Trickster just learned the spell Ghostform:D ! I have a big questions about being incorporeal. Do incorporeal characters get reflex saves? I mean, I know they already have a 50% chance to be missed by all attacks anyway, but say a wizard casts lightning bolt at me and the spell makes right percentage roll and would do damage to me. Do I get a chance to move out of the way like I would if I was corporeal:( ?
This would be the only downside to this spell as I see it. I have convinced my DM that after a ghost assasin killed one of our party members with a single blow that I have been doing my best to protect myself against ghost. I have had ghost touch added to my armor and weapon. So now when I use them in ghostform they will affect the corporeal world normally. So I think I have covered all bases but that one:rolleyes: .
So whadda you guys think? Can I still make savings throws?

AGGEMAM

First Post
Of course.

There is no mention in any of the books that you wouldn't be able to have saving throws, and there would be if that was the case.

And the fact that ALL incorpereal monsters actually have save values is a dead give away (pun intended).

kramis

First Post
magic attacks

I'm pretty sure magic attacks affect incorporeal creatures normally (such as fireball and lightning bolt) since it is magical flame and such. Not positive though, have to check it to make sure.

gfunk

First Post
AlwaysAThief said:
My Arcane Trickster just learned the spell Ghostform:D ! I have a big questions about being incorporeal. Do incorporeal characters get reflex saves? I mean, I know they already have a 50% chance to be missed by all attacks anyway, but say a wizard casts lightning bolt at me and the spell makes right percentage roll and would do damage to me. Do I get a chance to move out of the way like I would if I was corporeal:( ?
This would be the only downside to this spell as I see it. I have convinced my DM that after a ghost assasin killed one of our party members with a single blow that I have been doing my best to protect myself against ghost. I have had ghost touch added to my armor and weapon. So now when I use them in ghostform they will affect the corporeal world normally. So I think I have covered all bases but that one:rolleyes: .
So whadda you guys think? Can I still make savings throws?

1. Yes, incorporeal characters get Reflex saves.

2. Yes, all saves are normal.

Ghost Touch weapons and Ghostform are a lethal strategy. Esp. if you top on an Improved Invisibility, Non-Detection, and Sneak Attack ability.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: magic attacks

kramis said:
I'm pretty sure magic attacks affect incorporeal creatures normally (such as fireball and lightning bolt) since it is magical flame and such. Not positive though, have to check it to make sure.

Still 50% miss chance, though. And it is only magical attacks that actually can harm a incorpereal being.

kramis

First Post
my bad

I just looked it up as was totally wrong ... I was probably remembering that it was only magic attacks that affect it at all, or maybe confusing it with force effects which ignore the miss chance.

AlwaysAThief

First Post
Thanks for the help:p ! I thought that was the case, but am happy to have the reassurance.

I am planning on using Improved Invisability as a backup to Ghostform. That would force any attempt to hit me to roll three times to hit me (once for AC, once for 50% ghostform, once for 50% imp. inv.), that is assuming my attacker has a +1 or better weapon and is not using magic missiles.

Thanks again!

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Not ANY attempt.

If your opponent is using true strike with a magic weapon - you could be in trouble. I'm not sure that the incorporeal miss chance is "cover or concealment" however...

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The incorporeal miss chance is not concealment. So the true strike will help against the AC and the miss chance for invisibility (although you would still have to pick the right square), but the miss chance due to incorporeality remains. Use lots of magic missiles and spiritual weapons. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads