IndyPendant's Sunless Citadel

IndyPendant

First Post
It was a long, boring trip. It was also an awkward one. Mr Hanover had hired you due to rumours of increased bandit activity--and worse--along the route between the two towns. During the trip, you never saw anything worse than a few crows along the way while guarding the merchant's wagon of high quality weapons. However, a nasty rainstorm blew in, cutting visibility and turning the muddy roads to a quagmire. Faced with a choice between holing up somewhere for a day or two and continuing on, Mr Hanover decided to push forward. He would come to regret that decision.

Along the way, one of those quagmires decided to grab a wheel and not let go. With some of you helping by pushing from behind, the oxen managed to pull the wagon out--but not without damaging a wheel. Again refusing to stop, Mr Hanover managed make the wheel last the trip by going slowly and carefully. Late in the day you were supposed to arrive, barely beating nightfall, soaking wet and caked with mud, the wagon managed to limp into town.

From what you can see, it isn't much of a town. A handful of buildings along a wider strip in what the locals call the New Road, that serves as a gathering place for local farmers. Maybe it will look more impressive under the light of the sun.

Rurik Lutgehr, a dwarf serving as the local blacksmith, has informed Mr Hanover that it will take him three days to fix the wagon. Since this was his destination anyways, Mr Hanover is only a little upset. He even showed all of you into the Ol' Boar Inn, giving Garon the innkeeper enough coin to put you up for the night, including a plain supper and breakfast the next morning.

Not five minutes after Mr Hanover left, thanking you for your good service--the downpour started to wind down, and now that there's a roof over your heads, the sheets of rain have stopped completely. That was less than half an hour ago. It is early evening, and already dark outside.

You have cleaned yourself up as much as possible using the meagre resources of this town's tiny inn, and entered the commons for some much-needed food and rest. The inn itself is surprising; Garon and his wife Fachelle obviously take great pride in keeping the inn as well-maintained as possible. There are three tables, the largest being occupied by a large group of rowdy and rough-looking men who are obviously out-of-towners like yourselves. There is even a young lad sitting in a chair in one corner with a lute, entertaining the guests with music. If he were only any good at it, and if only the other guests seemed better than gutter-trash, it might have been more enjoyable. Still, the innkeeper and his wife treat you with courtesy, and apologize once more for having you squeezing the six of you into two rooms as they serve you your meal. But they only have four rooms available, and two of them are occupied by "them other people".

Last edited:

jayaint

First Post
Ydyr sits quietly in his chair and takes in the surroundings. He barely hears the music and barely tastes his food. If nothing much seems to be happening, he is already thinking of turning in for the night.

Looking at his newfound companions, he feels a strange sense of pride and comraderie. He wonders if he should be more out-going and vocal, but decides that this is not yet the time. It will come, though.

Voadam

Legend
Jair watched as his wolfhound Terrek shook himself dry then gave that lopsided grin of his with his tongue lolling out. Jair laughed good naturedly at the sight of the bedraggled but happy dog.

Mithran

First Post
Heirmund (illusionist)

Heirmund seats himself at the table with the others and leans back for a moment taking in the music and the feeling of being dry for the first time in several days. Ivan is sitting on Heirmund's shoulder, still looking half-drowned from being so wet.

When the food arrives Ivan squawks and hops down on the table near Heirmund's plate and tilt's his head to one side and inspects Heirmund's plate quite thoroughly before grabbing the gnome's bread and drags it over to his side of the plate before starting to peck at it. Heirmund seems to hardly notice and begins eating his food as well.

Once Heirmund is about half way through his food he looks up at the others "I suppose we should discuss our sleeping accomidations since we all have to fit in two rooms. "

Last edited:

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
Dengar's boots left muddy tracks in his passing, and while he knew that he should polish them soon to keep the leather from ruining, he was simply too tired and hungry at the moment to do so.

Looking over at Heirmund, who once more seemed lost in his own world, Dengar wondered how he had let the little gnome convince him to take leave from the militia in order to accompany him while he helped guard Hanover's goods.

'The most dangerous enemy we faced was boredom...'

However, the trip had not been without its rewards, as Heirmund was more than willing to tell him stories of his grandfather when they stopped each night, and while he had never admitted aloud, it made his current situation easier knowing that the gnome already accepted him for who he was, not what he was.

As the innkeeper's wife placed their food on the table, Dengar waited until the others had filled their plates before serving himself. While he had been slowly getting to know the other guards, Dengar still had awkward moments when dealing with the others, and he still sought to find his place among them.

mithran said:
"I suppose we should discuss our sleeping accomidations since we all have to fit in two rooms. "

Washing down the spiced potatoes with his water, Dengar shrugged his shoulders slightly as he gave the obvious answer to the rooming question.

"If there is beds, we each take one. If there is not a bed, I shall sleep on my roll, it will be a welcome change to not sleep in mud for a night."

jayaint

First Post
Ydyr looks up at this exchange and smiles slowly.

"Beds, rolls, floor. You are right... Anything will be better than another night in the mud."

He blushes slightly at speaking, and returns to his meager plate of food, hair hanging over his face shyly.

IndyPendant

First Post
The young lad has been eyeing you as he sings for a short while now. Finally, he stands and carefully sets his lute aside, and approaches your table. You notice at least one good reason for his lack of talent, as he looks somewhat unsteady. That and his breath as he speaks lets you know he has already tasted some of the inn's wares. "Wow! Another group, stranger than the firsh--first!" He flops down on a chair and looks at you intently, a boyish, earnest grin on his face. "My name's Redithidoor Halfmoon! What's yours? Why are you here? Why are you together? You're a strange lot! ...I guess I mean...tell me about yourselves!"

JimAde

First Post
Jerek eyes the young man bemusedly. Not a chance, he thinks, but says "We just came in guarding a merchant. Oakhurst is the end of the trip, though and I'm not sure where we'll go from here." He pops a piece of bread into his mouth and chews briefly before continuing. "How about you? Did you grow up around here? What's to do for fun?"

Voadam

Legend
"Aye lad, just in tonight. So what news can you tell us of this fine town?" Jair makes arrangements for Terrek to get a few bones to gnaw on and picks off a piece of his own bread to offer to Ivan with a smile as a friendly gesture before beginning his own food. Jair's shield and spear lean against the wall behind him, but his wooden unicorn symbol pendant of Mielikki hangs from his neck.

Mithran

First Post
Heirmund (illusionist)

Ivan hops over to the piece of bread offered him by Jair Ivan speaks slowly and carefully "thank you... Jair".

"If there is beds, we each take one. If there is not a bed, I shall sleep on my roll, it will be a welcome change to not sleep in mud for a night."

Heirmund shakes his head a bit and continues eating.

"My name's Redithidoor Halfmoon! What's yours? Why are you here? Why are you together? You're a strange lot! ...I guess I mean...tell me about yourselves!"

Heirmund looks up from his food at the lad asking all the questions then goes back to eating again as his companions begin answering the boy's questions.

Remove ads