IndyPendant's Sunless Citadel

Lehko smirks, and only stops to speak when his plate is clean and cup drained and refilled. "There is no harm in mud. Mud is good earth. But, a bed would be preferable. I say we leave it to straws."

Lehko eyes the boy intensley for a moment. "Well, Redithidoor is it? I am Lehko, from the Jungle Deeps of Chult! I, like my friends here, came here on buisness. There are great dangers on the road behind, you know." His tone, gesticulations, and the sparkle in his eye shows he is playing it up a bit for the wide-eyed boy. He nods when Jerek speaks, and says "Aye, what's for entertainment in these parts? I am... restless."

IndyPendant

First Post
Redithidoor has a youthful handsomeness that could make many a woman melt with barely a look. He's dressed in bright mismatching colours that mix into an appealing whole, although you're not quite certain how. "Oh, I don't live here. I'm just passing through on my way to Suzail. I wanted to see Darius Baden'Tor's hometown, and let them know he's all right. He gave me this bag of gold so I could apprentice myself and learn how to be a bard!" He puts the largish belt pouch back into his tunic as he pauses, visibly marshalling his thoughts. "I'm afraid that I'm all that passes for entertainment here. The last time anything happened here was when Ashardalon left behind the Ashen Plain! Ha! --Well, besides the Mystery of the Midsummer Fruit, of course." He eyes Lehko with an almost professional interest. "Wow, you've come all the way from Chult?!? Do they all dress like you do?"

JimAde

First Post
Jerek leaves the table for a moment and returns with a few straws taken from a broom in the corner. He carefully puts three into his hand as he listens to Redithiroor. When the lad finishes he holds up his fist to the others, hiding the length of the straws and says, "We draw twice. Long straw gets the bed."

As the others draw he looks at Redithidoor quizzically. "Mystery of Midsummer Fruit? What's so mysterious about that?

jayaint

First Post
Ydyr draws a very short straw and relaxes visibly. There is no way he would be comfortable being the one who got the bed. He wonders to himself about all of these names the young man is throwing around. Who are these people and why have I never heard of them?

The monk tries very very hard to blend into the background and go unnoticed as the party discusses things with the musician. Something tells him that he should keep his eyes and ears tuned to everything else around them... just in case.

[[Sense Motive on the musician?]]

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
As the straw is offered his way, Dengar waves it away.

"I will take my quarters in my roll. Moradin and Ilmater both smile upon those who give to their companions."

Turning to face the young bard, Dengar speaks bluntly to the youth.

"You should not be quick to advertise that you have a purse of gold at your disposal. There are those who would like nothing more than to release you of that gift."

Resuming his meal, Dengar listens to the talk around him and begins to scan the crowd to see if any eyes were drawn to the bard, and his purse.

Mithran

First Post
Heirmund (illusionist)

Heirmund looks over to Dengar "Wise if a bit blunt words Redithedoor" Heirmund takes another few bites then takes a straw "Do tell about the midsummer fruit I'm always interested in odd facts"

Lehko laughs. He leans forward, "I am garbed a bit better than my kin, but yes. And put that away," he gestures to the pouch as he speaks, "My friend here gives good advice." He raises a quizzical brow and and leans back, slight smirk still on his face, absent mindedley taking a straw. "Are we talking squash or pears?" Lehko always follows his instincts, and he has trouble believing the earnestness of the lad.

[[Sense motive on Redithidoor as well, and I'm perfectly willing to roll off for the bed with whomever else I share quarters with.]]

IndyPendant

First Post
You study this young man, unable to believe that someone this naive and foolish could be genuine. But as you carefully watch his body language and guage hjs eyes, you have to concede you're in the presence of a master. It's a good disguise. It seems entirely genuine. Ydyr and Dengar meanwhile watch the innkeeper and the other guests. The group of guests quickly decide, under their scrutiny, to lose interest in your conversation and lean towards each other, talking quietly amongst themselves, with only an occasional nvervous glance from them coming your way. The innkeeper though shows no reluctance, and watches you all intently, not even blinking when Ydir and Dengar catch him at it. When Redithidoor orders another ale, he brings it almost immediately. "Now, don't go scaring my guests away on the busiest night I've had in years, lad!" He's trying for humour, but it's obvious something is worrying him, and his tenseness is directed mostly at the group of you.

((Sense Motive on Redithidoor. Ydyr: 14+5=19. Lehko: 3+4=7.))

Redithidoor waves him away, grinning dismissively. "Oh posh, Garon. They're good people. I can tell. 'Sides, that's something bards are supposed to do! Pick up tidbits of information here, there, everywhere! I'm not annoying you guys, am I?" He plows on without waiting for a response. "But yes, the Mystery of the Midsummer Fruit--" he keeps dropping his voice almost a full octave, drawing out the phrase slowly and quietly for drama, obviously very much loving it-- "is deep--and very dangerous! You see, every midsummer, the goblins in the nearby ruins sell the town a single apple, always utterly flawless in shape and hue. This apple can be cut into quarters and it doesn't rot for months--but that's not all, no, not the half of it! Anyone who eats a quarter of the fruit is instantly and completely healed of all injuries and ailments! How did mere goblins acquire such a treasure? No one knows, but they take great pains to safeguard it. The farmers here keep trying to plant the seeds from the apple, but whenever some poor saplings begin to grow--sickly specimens, no matter what the farmers do to nurse them to health--shortly afterwards the goblins always find a way to steal it, and one morning the sapling is just...gone! And that's not all! Twice now adventurers have gone into the ruins, searching for the solution to the mystery. Garon here tells of a druid named Belak, with a pet tree frog, that came by many years ago asking about the ruins. More recently though--just over a month ago--a group of adventurers that included two locals dared to delve the depths of the Sunless Citadel. Neither group was ever heard from again!" He sits back, well-satisfied, beams proudly at you all, and finishes off his drink.

((Edit: Bah. Correcting my math.))

Last edited:

Remove ads