• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IndyPendant's Sunless Citadel

Mithran

First Post
Heirmund tries to climb down as quickly as he can, sacrificing some care for speed.

OOC: Accelerate the climb and try to make the checks. I know I won't do well just dropping. The wizard definitely isn't any good unconcious in a battle. ;)

IndyPendant

First Post
Jerek hops over to Terrek, who is about to launch himself at the surviving skeleton, and strips the harness off him as quickly as possible. Far above him, Kuma and Jair begin climbing down as well, Jair going slowly and carefully, but Kuma clambering down the vines with startling skill and speed. Even with Heirmund's head start, and climbing as fast as he can, Kuma already draws level with him, back to back in the pit.

((Jair's regular climb checks: 10+0-3=7 and 16-3=13. Heirmund's current and retroactive rapid climb checks: 6-1=5, 14-1=13; and 12-1=11, 20-1=19. Kuma, with a +7 climb and -1 acp, auto-succeeds even a rapid climb. At the end of their actions this round, Jair will be 15 feet down the 80-foot-deep climb, while Kuma and Heirmund are both 40 feet down.))

Lehko darts to one side and summons his powers, his fingers crackling with energy that he launches at the lightly-wounded skeleton. Unfortunately, their erratic motions as they fight cause him to misjudge, and the bolt arcs between the skeleton's arm and robe. Terrek rushes in, free of the harness, and attacks the skeleton as well, his jaws closing on its leg--but doing no apparent damage to the bare bones. Ydyr then attacks the skeleton with another flurry, managing another good strike with his elbow that rocks the head back, almost knocking it right off.

((Lehko's touch attack: 12+2-4=10. Terrek's attack: 16+3=19. Damage: 2+3-5=0. Ydyr's attacks: 2+0=2 and 20+0=20. Crit confirm: 12+0=12. Damage; 3+0=3.))

The skeleton attacks Ydyr with both claws, but he easily avoids its clumsy swipes. Once again however, he fails to avoid the twig blight, and one of its claws rakes down his back exactly parallel to the previous one. His body manages to fight off the venom this time--but the tearing of the claws itself is too much for him, and Ydyr falls to the floor, unconscious and bleeding.

((Skeleton's attack: 3 and 10. Twig blight's attacks: 1 and 18. Damage: 2. Ydyr's fort save: 16+3=19.))

JimAde

First Post
Jerek leaps at the twig blight that downed Ydyr. "Off him, ya woody git!" he shouts and tries to prune the offending twig. As he dances around looking for an opening he yells up the shaft, "A little help, here!"

[OOC: Try to flank if possible, otherwise just a regular attack: +0 Melee Short Sword (1d6 19-20/x2). I really need weapon finesse :) ]

Lehko turns on the remaining skeleton, attempting to keep the horror's attention on him instead of the fallen monk. With a swift motion, he brings his knee up sharply, attmepting to connect with the ribcage of his opponent.

((Engaging skeleton, not sure if that requires the 5-foot or not. IUS, +1, 1d3+1. It gets a litle hard to keep track of the placement in combat, so i'm not sure if I'm provoking.))

Voadam

Legend
"Coming!" Jair climbs down cursing under his breath as he has no skill at clambering. Once down he will rush over to heal the fallen monk.

Shayuri

First Post
Kuma checks in

(OOC - sorry for long absence...illness plus a few other factors which I shan't bore y'all with...onward to death!)

Kuma, continues downward, ignoring the pain of his wounds as his fingers find purchase in the strange glowing vines. The battle sounds intense, and he realizes he's reciting his death mantra in the back of his head as he climbs. Not eager for death, but accepting it.

Forgive me, my people. Perhaps the next to step forward will be worthier of the Dragon Helm. I shed the last drop of my blood for my people, that my spirit may go to the Great Dragon, and watch over the tribe until the Old Blood returns.

He moves as fast as he's able, hoping to clear a space for the other climbers once he gets down.

Voadam

Legend
Jair's mind works over all the problems besetting them as he climbs down, will the hobgoblin and goblins keep their word for safe passage when the party leaves, what is Belak up to, what is this Tree, and now undead with the blights. But more immediately Ydir and Kuma must be healed ASAP and it is more blasted pits and drops to get to them.

IndyPendant

First Post
Jerek finally manages to draw his shortsword, and then since he is too far away to immediately attack, elects instead to move around the battle to flank the skeleton with Terrek--which, incidentally, puts him in melee with the twig blight as well. Lehko moves forward and darts a quick chop in at the skeleton with the side of his hand, aiming for the head that has already almost been knocked off, but the skeleton instinctively brings up an arm and deflects his blow harmlessly. Terrek leaps to attack the skeleton, but his jaws click audibly on nothing as it dances out of his way.

((Lehko's attack: 12+1=13. Terrek's attack: 7+3+2=12.))

Meanwhile, up above, Heirmund hurriedly continues to climb down--and is effortlessly passed by Kuma, who quickly reaches the bottom of the shaft, looking down at the battle ten feet below from the ceiling of the room. Jair continues climbing down slowly and carefully above the others.

((Heirmund's climb checks: 17-1=16 and 6-1=5. Jair's climb checks: 10-3=7 and 18-3=15.))

The skeleton ignores the fallen Ydyr, and turns mindlessly on Terrek, using one hand as a brace while the other rakes into his shoulder, drawing a runnel of blood. The twig blight turns on the only one within melee with it--Jerek--and attacks with its claws as well, but Jerek is far too nimble--and nervous!--to allow those claws anywhere near him.

((Skeleton's attacks: 15, 18. Damage: 3. Twig blight's attacks: 12, 2.))

Kuma grits his teeth, but the unavoidable fact is that he is too wounded to risk a fall from even this height. So he carefully hangs down and drops to the ground, stumbling but managing to retain his footing on the muddy ground. Above him, Heirmund reaches the spot Kuma dropped from moments before, facing a 10-foot drop of his own to the ground. Jair continues climbing carefully down from above--and his heart lurches in his chest as one of the slimy vines slips right out from under his feet! He holds on for dear life, however--quite literally!--and manages to kick around until his feet find purchase again. He takes a quick moment to let out a slow breath, and then doggedly begins climbing down once more.

((Kuma's jump check: 12+3-1=14. Heirmund's climb checks: 6(again!)-1=5 and 12-1=11. Jair's climb checks: 2-3=-1 and 12-3=9. Heirmund is at the bottom of the pit, 10' above the floor. Jair is only 25 feet down out of the 80 so far. Note that Kuma will need to ready his sword and shield before using them. He is not currently threatened, however.))

Lehko attacks the skeleton again, attempting to take it out. He almost trips over the skeleton's bony feet in the process, but manages to recover and be ready for its counterattack. --And then everyone inside the room notices its single large door open inward.

((Lehko's attack: 1+1=2.))

With an inquisitive grunt, the biggest goblin you've yet seen steps into the room and takes a look around, clearly surprised at the desperate battle he finds taking place. Standing in the doorway, roughly 30 feet away, wearing a coat of scale mail and a crown of antlers, the burly goblinoid--after a moment, you recognize it as a bugbear!--moves a little closer, allowing room for two more of the hated dire rats to enter behind him. He raises his morningstar high over his head with both hands and yells a challenge in goblinoid. Only Heirmund understands the words, which translate roughly as "Prepare to meet the cookpot!"

Terrek completely ignores this new development, and tries to crush the skeleton between his powerful jaws. He succeeds. The skeleton is ripped apart, falling in a clatter of bones. The small twig blight fearlessly presses its attack on Jerek, but once again Jerek nimbly dodges its sap-moistened claws.

((Terrek's attack: 18+3+2=23. Damage: 7+3-5=5. Twig blight's attacks: 1 and 6.))

((New init order: Lehko/22; Bugbear/17; Terrek/15; Ydyr; Twig Blight/7; Jerek/6; Kuma; Jair; Heirmund; Rats/5))

((It is currently Jerek's action again; however, note that for this round only, the rats have already used up their action for dramatic placement. : ))

((Edit: Forgot: Kuma made his DC 5 jump check by more than 5, so he did not in fact fall prone. Edited the description above accordingly.))

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Kuma slams his arm into the braces of his shield, and yanks his sword from its sheathe, a feral gleam in his eyes.

"If there is to be battle...then let there be WAR! he bellows.

(Readying both sword and shield, which I believe uses up my turn :))

Remove ads