• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IndyPendant's Sunless Citadel

JimAde

First Post
Swinging his blade in wide, threatening arcs, Jerek shouts, "Hah! Your mother was an elderberry!"

[OOC: Fighting Defensively, which makes my AC 17 and imposes a -4 on my attacks.
-4 Melee Short Sword (1d6 19-20/x2). Basically I'm just trying to keep the thing's attention so somebody else can kill it.]

Voadam

Legend
"Heirmund, tell it we have an agreement with Durnn and it needs to call off the twig blight and skeletons." Jair continues to climb down.

IndyPendant

First Post
Jair is startled to hear a rough voice call down from above. Risking a glance upward, he sees the Durbuluk chief gazing down at him. Durnn's tone is oddly...mild, almost sympathetic, and it takes a moment for Jair to realize he's speaking in common! "You waste your breath, Jair Feyfriend. Our bargain was your prisoners for 'passage through my territory to Belak's hole'. Our deal is complete. You have led your tribe to their doom."

Below, Jerek attacks the twig blight, but moving on the defensive to keep out of reach of its claws, and his sword doesn't even come close to it. Kuma readies his sword and shield, bellowing his own challenge right back at the bugbear. Heirmund carefully hangs down from the vines to drop to the ground nearly ten feet below him, and ends up flat on his back beside Kuma, the breath almost knocked right out of him. Jair continues to climb down, but his agitation causes him to slip again, and he wastes more precious moments scrambling for footing.

((Jerek's attack: 4+0-4=0. Heirmund's jump check: 6-1=5. Jair's climb checks: 1-3=-2 and 17-3=14. Jair is now 30 feet down.))

Lehko steps to one side and moves his hands in the arcane almost-dance, causing a wave of force to ripple out and strike the bugbear. He withstands the spell though, only suffering minor damage in the process. The bugbear's eyes widen in surprise--then focus on Lehko in hatred. He moves his morningstar to his left hand, draws a javelin from the half dozen or so strapped to his back, and heaves it unerringly at Lehko, even from forty feet away. Lehko feels the thing tear into his left side, and then his world dissolves into agony as he collapses, leaking his life's blood all over the filthy ground, and the bugbear calmly takes a step forward. Terrek lunges towards the nearest foe to him, instinctively flanking Jerek as he attacks the twig blight. His jaws close satisfyingly, and Jerek's ears are filled with the cracking of broken twigs.

((Bugbear's fort save: 14. Damage taken: 1. Bugbear's attack: 21. Crit confirm: 11. Damage: 5. Terrek's attack: 14+3+2=19. Damage: 4+3=7.))

JimAde

First Post
"Good dog!" Jerek shouts gleefully, before looking around to see Lehko on the ground. His smile freezes into a grimace as he glares at the bugbear. "You want to play catch? Fine. Catch this!" He takes a step and flings his sword at the creature, hoping to catch it off guard. "I've got some more playthings here," he shouts and begins readying his bow.

[OOC: Throw the sword as a standard action, -1 to hit (+3 Dex -4 for throwing a melee weapon, plus any range mods, range increment 10 feet). Correct me if I have the rule wrong but I think that's how it works. Then use my remaining Move action to try to ready the bow. I don't know if a Move action is enough, but I'll at least start and hopefully get an attack next round if I should live so long. All of this prefaced with a 5' step away from the twig blight if it's still alive, but I got the impression that Terrek had eliminated it. ]

Last edited:

Mithran

First Post
When Heirmund hits the ground he lets out a muffled "Oomph" then stands up and takes stock of the situation. Heirmund moves as far as he can towards Terrek.

OOC: Move action and a move action, so I'm done. This appears to be my only course of action this round. Being as, if I have interpreted things correctly, all the enemies are too far away to hit with any spells. And Kuma will be elsewhere by the time I act.

IndyPendant

First Post
Jerek throws his shortsword at the bugbear, and watches it bounce crazily along the ground, not even coming close to its target, before readying his bow and taking a quick step backward. Kuma rushes forward to attack the bugbear, his greater speed allowing him to close the distance. His longsword swings in a great arc, cleaving into the bugbear--but Kuma is startled to see the bugbear survive one of his more powerful blows! As Jair finally reaches the halfway mark of his climb down from above, Heirmund gets to his feet and hurries to Terrek.

((Jerek's attack: 9+3-4-2-2=4. Kuma's attack: 19+4=25. Crit threat: 6+4=12. Damage: 5+3=8. Jair's climb checks: 19-3=16 and 15-3=12.))

At the bugbear's command, the rats arc around him and Kuma and rush towards Jerek. Only one of the rats manages to reach Jerek before he can react; the other doesn't quite make it. Then the bugbear grips his morningstar two-handed again, and brings it up in a sweeping arc. The effortless speed of the heavy weapon catches Kuma off-guard, and it crashes into his ribs, knocking him to the floor. Even as he fights to remain awake, to get up, to do something, his view contracts into a point...and then nothing.

((Bugbear's attack: 24. Damage: 9.))

Terrek only sees that one of the companions his master designated as 'friend' is being attacked by large animals--and joins the fray! His powerful jaws close on the nearest rat--the one not threatening Jerek--and breaks its neck. The remaining rat is directly between Jerek and the bugbear, so Jerek is forced to take a step back and shoot it, but the arrow goes well wide. As Jair continues to climb down, Heirmund chases after Terrek--who ran away from him to reach the rat--then casts his spell, protecting what is now the group's most powerful warrior still fighting with magical armour.

((Terrek's attack: 18+3=21. Damage: 5+3=8. Jerek's attack: 1+3+1=5. Jair's climb checks: 9-3=6 and 16-3=13. Jair still has to climb another 30 feet--at 10 feet per round, if climbing cautiously.))

The rat chases after the backtracking Jerek and attacks him, its large teeth carving his leg like a knife. The bugbear, seeing another spellcaster, shifts his grip once more and readies a javelin, throwing it directly at Heirmund from 30 feet away--and missing! The bugbear then takes a step forward, once more wielding his morningstar two-handed. Terrek moves forward again and attacks the rat that is threatening Jerek, biting deeply into it--and possibly for the first time ever, you see a rat survive his mighty jaws!

((Rat's attack: 20. Damage: 3. Bugbear's attack: 5. Terrek's attack: 17+3=20. Damage: 3+3=6. It is Jerek's action again. He is at 1hp.))

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
IndyPendant said:
It is Jerek's action again. He is at 1hp.
[OOC: But still feisty! :) ]

Jerek sidesteps the rat and ignores it, trusting to Terrek's mighy jaws to dispatch the vermin. His earlier animation is gone and he moves as though half asleep. Hope and fear are both set aside as he just tries to get his job done. He calmly seeks a better vantage point, then looses an arrow at the bugbear.

[OOC: 5-foot step away from the rat. Then move to a better spot if available (i.e. out of easy melee range from the bugbear, ideally up on something high enough to discourage the rats. No more than a Move action regardless). +3 Ranged Short bow (1d6 20/x3) (+1 within 30 ft., 60 ft. increment) ]

Remove ads