D&D General Influence of official D&D lore on your home games?

How much influence does official D&D lore/canon have on your D&D home game/s?

• None.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Just a little.

Votes: 52 40.9%
  • A fair bit.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • A lot.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • I stick to all official lore as closely as possible.

Votes: 5 3.9%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Just a little. I borrow liberally from 4e lore, but it’s very much my own spin on that lore when I do. I also borrow a lot from other non-D&D sources, and totally re-write things as suits my needs.

aco175

Legend
For 5e, I have been playing in FR with the Phandalin region as the base. We are going on the 5-6th campaign and now gotten that far away. Each campaign is a shell of lore that gets more and more modified as we go along. We use the place names and gods and such, but things move along and the town gets added to and modified to where it has more shops and a wall in the current Icespire Peak campaign since it is like 5 years after the initial box set. That region is now only 50% canon since it has been modified a lot.

If the PCs travel to Waterdeep or such I tend to take some of the new maps and such and lay in 2e material and other webpage sources to make it work. Cannon-wise this is not that accurate, but it works and my players do not know that much about the world to care.

General D&D rules we tend to try and follow for the most part. We homebrew only several things like healing potions can be a bonus action, but if you take your action it heals full and when rolling for HP, you get half rounded down if you roll below that. There is some option rules like flanking that we use as well, but spells and monsters are mostly close unless I modify a monster like 4e and make a champion goblin from a base goblin shell.

I feel that if a player sat at my table they would not have a problem picking things up from what they would think is standard.

Remove ads