D&D 1E Inquiry: How do fans of AD&D (aka 1E) feel about the Unearthed Arcana supplement?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The barbarian was fun, and I liked the expanded options for demihumans. It was nice to see what all the polearms actually looked like. The bonus spells and items were fun.

As long as you take what you like and discard the rest, I think it was useful.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I loved parts of it. We did not use that chargen. But at times enjoyed underdark characters.

most memorable of all though was my Barbarian, Mogar the Fat. Flaming red hair and beard and fat!

statistically speaking he was great too. 18/13 strength, high con. But his hit points?

7 consecutive 12s rolled in front of the party/DM!

he could never hit but the party called him “the tree” because of his fortitude. Finally at his last level I rolled ‘4’ for hit points.

the last time I played him he and his villainous halfling pals had pissed off a treant so they rode on his back while he ran through the woods!

silly and fun

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
BTW, I pulled up the comeliness rules. They're heterosexist, not sexist--heterosexuality is assumed, but the sexes are treated equally by high-comeliness fascination effects, and all references are to "he or she".

(Interestingly, Corellon Larethian is described as genderfluid in the 1e Deities and Demigods..."Corellon is alternately male or female, both or neither".)

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
I loved parts of it. We did not use that chargen. But at times enjoyed underdark characters.

most memorable of all though was my Barbarian, Mogar the Fat. Flaming red hair and beard and fat!

statistically speaking he was great too. 18/13 strength, high con. But his hit points?

7 consecutive 12s rolled in front of the party/DM!

he could never hit but the party called him “the tree” because of his fortitude. Finally at his last level I rolled ‘4’ for hit points.

the last time I played him he and his villainous halfling pals had pissed off a treant so they rode on his back while he ran through the woods!

silly and fun
Mogar, meet Grod. Fight!!

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Mogar, meet Grod. Fight!!
It was one of my those PCs that is talked about with a chuckle more than 2 decades later!

I like “Grod”—-great barbarian name!

I have not played a barbarian since that time. Against all the collective wisdom, I would play a beserker if I did. It’s the fluff I like. A little more well beserker than say nature spirit stuff.

what amuses me is that Conan seems less and less a “barbarian” the more I think about one in D&D terms!

Voadam

Legend
BTW, I pulled up the comeliness rules. They're heterosexist, not sexist--heterosexuality is assumed, but the sexes are treated equally by high-comeliness fascination effects, and all references are to "he or she".
You are right that sexist might not be the best description.

I think it is the specific descriptions of how people specifically react to specific levels of attractiveness that is off putting.

Unearthed Arcana page 6:

"+ 14 to + 17: Interest in viewing the individual is evidenced by those in contact, as he or she is good-looking. The reaction adjustment is increased by a percentage equal to the comeliness score of the character. Individuals of the opposite sex will seek out such characters, and they will be affected as if under a fascinate spell unless wisdom of such individuals exceeds 50% of the character’s comeliness total."

"The fascinate-like power of high comeliness is similar to the 2nd-level illusionist spell of the same name. Those subject to this power will be captivated by the user, and treat him or her as a trusted friend, mentor, and companion. A saving throw versus spell will negate the effect but if the comeliness is not magical in nature, then dispel magic, antimagic spells, and similar spells will not affect the fascination effect.
Fascinated creatures will follow the orders of characters with high comeliness, provided a roll of 3d6 does not exceed the comeliness of the character. Requests that are not in the best interest of the creature get a + 1 to the die, while those that are hazardous can gain up to + 6 or higher on the die roll. If the roll is higher than the user’s comeliness, the fascinate-effect is broken."

This is not something I necessarily want to be rolling for and roleplaying this specified way constantly on either side of the screen. If it had just been a number to represent abstracted attractive looks, or just affected the reaction adjustment mechanics it would not have been as distasteful.

Mostly Basic and AD&D left roleplay type of stuff up to the players for their characters and to the DM for NPCs with a few minor mechanics for charisma affecting hiring henchmen and an often ignored reaction mechanic. When magic affects such things like a charm it is a vancian resource a PC intentionally expends with an attached saving throw, not a constant effect that will impact lots of people every time you walk through a city. This was an unwelcome escalation of "play this way" focused entirely on attractiveness interactions.

heh. I can remember Roger Moore, in one of his Dragon editorials, telling us of a monster submission that tried to make use of the Comeliness rules... it was essentially a 'woman/lobster centaur', which had the nude torso of a woman with the bottom half of a lobster and big lobster claws instead of arms. Yet because the woman part was unearthly beautiful, the creator assumed that male PCs would fall under the 'fascination' rules of Comeliness...

Voadam

Legend
heh. I can remember Roger Moore, in one of his Dragon editorials, telling us of a monster submission that tried to make use of the Comeliness rules... it was essentially a 'woman/lobster centaur', which had the nude torso of a woman with the bottom half of a lobster and big lobster claws instead of arms. Yet because the woman part was unearthly beautiful, the creator assumed that male PCs would fall under the 'fascination' rules of Comeliness...
Blibdoolpoolp drider variants?

Made from the souls of the humans the Kuo Toa sacrifice to her?

That is another point - the barbarian class is also configured to increase the chances of conflict with other PCs. Not just the part about detesting magic and those who use it, but the whole getting XP for destroying magic items. You know, the things all the other PCs desperately want.

I love the idea of the barbarian, and some of its implementation (raise a horde, secondary and tertiary abilities are great!), but "Oh, I hate magic-users"? Not good at all.

Cheers!

But, and hear me out, as a counterpoint to all the bad parts of Unearthed Arcana:

1634924126115.png

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Weapon specialization: I had forgotten that this originated in 1E via UA. I thought this didn't come about until 2E which I never played at the table and only experienced via cRPG's like Baldur's Gate. Didn't weapon specialization result in a weird situation where people started specializing in darts because you could throw three of them per round and with the specialization bonus to damage plus strength bonus to damage you could end up doing obscene amounts of damage by throwing darts?
I have one of those in my currently-on-covid-break party; and yes, it's balls-nuts crazy the damage she can put out in a round...never mind she's high enough level to get four shots per round instead of three...

Comeliness: What was the point of that stat, seriously?
I always saw it as a second place, along with Charisma, to dump a bad roll into. :)
I am even more convinced, after being reacquainted with these rules, that UA was a really terrible addition to 1E D&D.
Thing is, parts of it were truly inspired and worth adding in to the game. The headache was successfully separating the wheat from the chaff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases