• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interest in Oriental Adventures PbP?

Seeten

First Post
I must say, I have been waiting for a good place to play a monk for a long long time. I hope it isnt too trite that I'm not a uber cool <insert new race/class combo here> but old standbys are necessary for a believable setting, right? :)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hey, monks are cool, logical, and honestly rather necessary for this setting. The only reason I didn't do one is that I'm already playing a monk in a different OA game, and I've been wanting to give the wu-jen a whirl for a while. :)

Seeten

First Post
I'm not dissing on anyone else :)

I tried Wuxia Fighter from the WOTC boards, but I just couldnt get into it. I admit it. I love monks. :)

Nephtys

First Post
I'm working on my character, but need some info.

How many points do animal companions and cohorts get for their abilities?
What languages are used in the setting? What planar languages are relevant?

Ariakor

First Post
as far as animal companions are concerned, they get the same stats as in the Monster Manual. All other changes to the creature's stats are acccording to the PHb. If youneed to make up new stats, i think the creatures in the MM use the standard array of 15,14,13,12,11,10 as a basis.
Cohorts can use the 28 point-by.
The following languages are used: Imperial Common (or just Common), Spirit Tongue (the Spiritfolk), Baohua, Huhua (both for the Catfolk), Linhua (Sylvan) for Woodland spirits, Dihua(Terran) for Earth Spirits, Shuihua (Aquan) for Water Spirits, Huohua (Ignan) for Fire Spirits, Konghua (Auran) for Air Spirits, Draconic as Ancient Mystical Tongue (an a few remaining Dragons), Mohua and Guihua for Creatures and Spirits of the Shadowlands (respectively), Tengu (used both for Tengu who are almost as rare as dragons here as well as for a variety of different Spirits not elementally aligned), Giant (which is mostly found in ancient texts form the South) and the Druidic language.
The people of the Dragon Isles speak their variant of Common, lik,e the people of Khem'hasar, while the people of Belinquar speak a mixture of Common and Catfolk languages, just so you know

Gez

First Post
For reference, here is the Revised Sohei:
[sblock]Sohei Table[sblock]
Code:
Level BAB  Fort  Refs  Will  Special------------------------------   Spells per day:
 1st    +0   +2    +0    +2   [i]Ki[/i] frenzy 1/day, Weapon Focus          -1- -2- -3- -4-
 2nd    +1   +3    +0    +3   Deflect Arrows                          -   -   -   -
 3rd    +2   +3    +1    +3   Diehard                                 -   -   -   -
 4th    +3   +4    +1    +4   [i]Ki[/i] frenzy 2/day                         0   -   -   -
 5th    +3   +4    +1    +4   Strength of mind                        0   -   -   -
 6th    +4   +5    +2    +5   Defensive strike                        1   -   -   -
 7th    +5   +5    +2    +5   Damage reduction 1/-                    1   -   -   -
 8th    +6   +6    +2    +6   [i]Ki[/i] frenzy 3/day                         1   0   -   -
 9th    +6   +6    +3    +6   Mettle                                  1   0   -   -
10th    +7   +7    +3    +7   Damage reduction 2/-                    1   1   -   -
11th    +8   +7    +3    +7   Greater frenzy                          1   1   0   -
12th    +9   +8    +4    +8   [i]Ki[/i] frenzy 4/day                         1   1   1   -
13th    +9   +8    +4    +8   Damage reduction 3/-                    1   1   1   -
14th   +10   +9    +4    +9                                           2   1   1   0
15th   +11   +9    +5    +9                                           2   1   1   1
16th   +12  +10    +5   +10   Damage reduction 4/-, [i]Ki[/i] frenzy 5/day   2   2   1   1
17th   +12  +10    +5   +10   Tireless frenzy                         2   2   2   1
18th   +13  +11    +6   +11                                           3   2   2   1
19th   +14  +11    +6   +11   Damage reduction 5/-                    3   3   3   2
20th   +15  +12    +6   +12   [i]Ki[/i] frenzy 6/day, whirlwind frenzy       3   3   3   3
[/sblock]
Abilities: A Wisdom score of 14 or higher is required to get access to the most powerful sohei spells, and a score of 11 or higher is required to cast any sohei spells at all. A high Constitution improves a sohei's hit points, and a high Strength makes her more effective in melee combat, where she typically excels.
Alignment: Any lawful.
Hit Dice: d10.
Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Knowledge-Religion (Int), Profession (Wis).
Base Skill Points: 2.
Sohei Class Features[sblock]
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Sohei are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all armors (but no shields).
Weapon Focus: Sohei gain Weapon Focus with a weapon of their choice as a bonus feat.
Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a sohei gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells. To cast a spell, a sohei must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so a sohei with a Wisdom of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Sohei bonus spells are based on Wisdom, and saving throws against these spells have a Difficulty Class of 10 + spell level + Wisdom modifier. When a sohei gets 0 spells of a given level, such as 0 1st-level spells at 4th level, the sohei gets only bonus spells. A sohei without a bonus spell for that level cannot yet cast a spell of that level. A sohei has access to any spell on her spell list and can freely choose which to prepare. A sohei prepares and casts spells just as a cleric or shaman does.
Through 3rd level, a sohei has no caster level. Starting at 4th level, a sohei's caster level is one-half her class level.
Ki Frenzy: Starting at first level, a sohei gains the ability to focus her ki power into a frenzy of berserk energy. In this frenzied state, she temporarily gains +2 to Strength and +2 to Dexterity. Her speed increases by 10 feet, and she can choose to make a flurry of blows with a full attack action in melee, making one extra attack per round while suffering a -2 penalty on every attack.
While in a ki frenzy, a sohei cannot use skills or abilities that require patience or concentration, such as moving silently or casting spells. (She cannot use any sohei class skill in a frenzy.) She can use any feat she might have except for Expertise, item creation feats, and Skill Focus (if it is tied to a skill that requires patience or concentration).
A ki frenzy lasts for a number of rounds equal to three + the sohei's Constitution modifier. The sohei may prematurely end the frenzy voluntarily. At the end of the frenzy, the sohei is fatigued (-2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of the encounter.
The sohei can only enter a frenzy once per encounter, and only a certain number of times per day (determined by level). Entering a frenzy is a free action.
Deflect Arrows: The sohei gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat at second level, even if she doesn't have the prerequisite feat and Dexterity score.
Diehard: The sohei gains Diehard as a bonus feat at third level.
Strength of Mind: A sohei of at least 5th level is immune to stunning and sleep spells and effects.
Defensive Strike: The sohei gains Defensive Strike as a bonus feat at 6th level, even if she doesn't have the prerequisite feat and Dexterity score.[sblock]Defensive Strike [General]
You can turn a strong defense into a powerful offense.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, Dodge.
Benefit: If an opponent attacks you and misses while you are using the total defense action, you can attack that opponent on your next turn with a +4 bonus on your attack roll. You gain no bonus against an opponent that does not attack you or against an opponent that attacks you and hits you.
Special: A fighter may select Defensive Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats. A sohei gains Defensive Strike as a bonus feat at 6th level.[/sblock]Damage Reduction: Starting at 7th level, the sohei gains the extraordinary ability to shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Substract 1 from the damage the sohei takes each time she is dealt damage. At 10th level, this damage reduction rises to 2. At 13th level, it rises to 3. At 16th level, it rises to 4. At 19th level, it rises to 5. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.
Mettle: The sohei's special blessing allows her to shrug off magical effects that would otherwise damage or harm her. If a sohei of at least 9th level makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell's effect, she suffers no effect from the spell at all. Only those spells with a Saving Throw entry of “Will partial,” “Fortitude half,” or similar entries can be negated through this ability.
Greater Frenzy: At 11th level, a sohei's bonuses to Strength and Dexterity during her frenzy each increases to +4, the penalty she suffers on attack rolls for making a flurry of blows is reduced to -1, and her speed increases by 20 feet during her frenzy.
Tireless Frenzy:At 17th level and higher, a sohei no longer becomes fatigued at the end of her frenzy.
Whirlwind Frenzy: At 20th level, a sohei's bonuses to Strength and Dexterity during her frenzy each increases to +6, she suffers no penalty on attack rolls for making a flurry of blows, and her speed increases by 30 feet during her frenzy.[/sblock]Sohei Spell List[sblock]

FIRST-LEVEL
Attraction. Attacks are drawn to the subject creature, dealing more damage.[sblock]Transmutation
Level: Sha 1, Soh 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 2 rounds/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
When you cast this spell, a mystical aura surrounds the subject creature, drawing attacks to the creature and making successful attacks more effective. The subject takes an additional +1 point of damage per caster level (max +5) from each melee or ranged attack that deals damage. This spell does not increase damage from spells.[/sblock]Bane
Bless
Detect Chaos
Detect Law
Divine Favor
Doom
Endure Elements
Magic Weapon
Protection from Chaos
Resistance
Shield of Faith
Virtue
Weapon Bless. Prepare one weapon for combat against a particular foe.[sblock]Transmutation
Level: Fury 1, Sha 1, Soh 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
You prepare one weapon for combat against a particular foe. While casting the spell, you write the identity of the foe on the weapon, along with spirit invocations to give the weapon power. Although you do not need to know the exact name of the intended victim, you must still identify the creature specifically. You cannot, for example, bless a weapon for use against “a kappa,” but you can bless it for use against “the kappa who lives in Ch'i Sheng's pond.”
The first time the blessed weapon is used against the target creature, its wielder gains a +5 enhancement bonus on the first attack roll and a +5 bonus on damage if the first attack is successful. After the first attack, or if the weapon is used against another for before it is used against the target creature, the writings on the blade disappear and the spell effect ends.
Focus: A writing brush and ink.[/sblock]
SECOND LEVEL
Animal Messenger
Bull's Strength
Delay Poison
Eagle's Splendor
Honorable Weapon. Weapon is more efficient against dishonorable creatures.[sblock]Transmutation [Lawful]
Level: Sha 2, Soh 2
Components: V, S, DF
Target: Weapon touched or fifty projectiles
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
Honorable weapon makes a weapon honorable, allowing it to bypass the damage reduction or certain dishonorable creatures, primarily undead and a few non-oni residents of the Shadowlands. This spell has no effect on a weapon that already has an alignemen, such as a Tainted sword.
You can't cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an animal's claw or bite.[/sblock]Owl's Wisdom
Remove Paralysis
Resist Energy
Restoration, Lesser
Shield Other
Warning. Subject gains +4 to Listen and Spot and retains Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed.[sblock]Divination
Level: Guardian 2, Sha 2, Soh 2
Components: V, S
Area Effect Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
This spell heightens the subject's senses and awareness of danger. The subject gains a +4 insight bonus on Listen and Spot checks and retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)[/sblock]
THIRD LEVEL
Discern Lies
Dispel Magic
Magic Circle against Chaos
Magic Weapon, Greater
Mental Strength. Recipient gains +4 bonus on Will saves.[sblock]Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sha 3, Soh 3
Components: V, S, F
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
You imbue the recipient with magical energy that fortifies her will, granting her a +4 resistance bonus on all Will saves.
Focus: The tail of a white fox.[/sblock]Prayer
Protection from Energy

FOURTH LEVEL
Castigate. Verbal rebuke deafens all who hear and damage those whose alignment differs from yours. [Updated in Complete Divine][sblock]Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Clr 4, Fury 4, Sha 4, Soh 4
Components: V
Range: 10 ft.
Area: 10-ft. radius emanation
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell allows you to verbally rebuke foes. By shouting your deity's teachings about other alignments, you inflict pain on those who hear, and those in the area need not understand your divine words to be affected. This spell has no effect on creatures that cannot hear. Otherwise, you deafen foes of the same alignment for 1d4 rounds (save for half). Foes within one alignment step of yours (lawful, neutral, chaotic; good or evil) take 1 point of damage per caster level (maximum 10). Foes whose alignment is more than one step different from yours take 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d4). A Fortitude saving throw is allowed for half damage from this spell.[/sblock]Death Ward
Discern Shapechanger. Penetrates disguises and shape changes.[sblock]Divination
Level: Sha 4, Soh 4, Wuj 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: Full round action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
With a standard action spent in concentration, you can see the true form of polymorphed, disguised, or transmuted creatures within 60 feet. Each round, you can see and determine whether it is polymorphed, disguised, or transmuted, and what its true form is.
If you look at a shapechanger in its true form, you what that it is a shapechanger, but cannot determine what other forms it might be capable of assuming. For purposes of this spell, a shapechanger is any creature with the shapechanger subtype or the supernatural ability to take an alternate form or change shape. A wu jen who knows polymorph self is not a shapechanger (since a spell is not a supernatural or extraordinary ability), but a spirit centipede is (since it has the extraordinary ability to assume alternate forms, though it hasn't the shapechanger subtype).
Material Component: A balm of honey and lotus flower, smeared on your eyelids.[/sblock]Dispel Chaos
Divine Power
Freedom of Movement
Neutralize Poison
Order's Wrath
Remove Fatigue. Removes effects of fatigue as 8 hours of rest.[sblock]Transmutation
Level: Sha 4, Soh 4
Components: S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: Up to one living creature touched per two levels.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
The creatures you touch gain the benefits of 8 hours of restful sleep. If a subject was fatigued, the fatigue and its penalties are removed. If a subject was already well rested, it does not need to rest or sleep during the next 24 hours. Arcane spellcasters must still rest their minds for 8 hours in order to prepare or ready their spells.[/sblock]Restoration
Spell Immunity
Sustain. Recipient need no food or drink for 6 hours/level.[sblock]Transmutation
Level: Sha 4, Soh 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: Full-round action
Target: Up to one living creature touched per two levels.
Duration: 6 hours/level
Saving Throw: None
The recipient of this spell can go without food nor water for the duration of the spell, feeling no hunger and suffering no ill effects from the deprivation. An affected creature can eat or drink normally without difficulty. When the spell ends, the creatures must resume normal eating and drinking habits, but do not feel adverse effects from the missed meals. The size of the creature is not a factor, a tiny lizard and a dragon are both fully nourished by the spell.
If a target of the spell is suffering from hunger and thirst, the spell relieves the creature as if it had eaten one healthy meal for every 6 hours of the spell's duration.
Material Component: A flask of warm sake and a rice cake.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Quick question, could I make a multiclass sohei 2/scout 2?

Here's the scout (copied from Complete Adventurer):
[sblock]Scout Table[sblock]
Code:
Level BAB  Fort  Refs  Will  Special-------------------------------   -Skirmish-
 1st   +0   +0    +2    +0   Skirmish, trapfinding                    +1d6 +0 AC
 2nd   +1   +0    +3    +0   Battle fortitude, uncanny dodge          +1d6 +0 AC
 3rd   +2   +1    +3    +1   Fast movement +10 ft., trackless steps   +1d6 +1 AC
 4th   +3   +1    +4    +1   Bonus feat                               +1d6 +1 AC
 5th   +3   +1    +4    +1   Evasion                                  +2d6 +1 AC
 6th   +4   +2    +5    +2   Flawless stride                          +2d6 +1 AC
 7th   +5   +2    +5    +2                                            +2d6 +2 AC
 8th   +6   +2    +6    +2   Camouflage, bonus feat                   +2d6 +2 AC
 9th   +6   +3    +6    +3                                            +3d6 +2 AC
10th   +7   +3    +7    +3   Blindsense 30 ft.                        +3d6 +2 AC
11th   +8   +3    +7    +3   Fast movement +20 ft.                    +3d6 +3 AC
12th   +9   +4    +8    +4   Bonus feat                               +3d6 +3 AC
13th   +9   +4    +8    +4                                            +4d6 +3 AC
14th  +10   +4    +9    +4   Hide in plain sight                      +4d6 +3 AC
15th  +11   +5    +9    +5                                            +4d6 +4 AC
16th  +12   +5   +10    +5   Bonus feat                               +4d6 +4 AC
17th  +12   +5   +10    +5                                            +5d6 +4 AC
18th  +13   +6   +11    +6   Free movement                            +5d6 +4 AC
19th  +14   +6   +11    +6                                            +5d6 +5 AC
20th  +15   +6   +12    +6   Blindsight 30 ft., bonus feat            +5d6 +5 AC
[/sblock]
Abilities: Dexterity helps scouts become stealthy and overcome their lack of access to heavy armor. Wisdom is also important because it affects many skills, especially Spot and Listen, that most scouts consider vital to their ability to survive in the wild and to detect enemies efficiently.
Alignment: Any.Scouts in military service are usually lawful.
Hit Dice: d8.
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Cimb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge-Dungeoneering (Int), Knowledge-Geography (Int), Knowledge-Nature (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (n/a), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).
Base Skill Points: 8.

Scout Class Features[sblock]
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Scouts are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the handaxe, throwing axe, short sword, and shortbow. Scouts are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.
Skirmish (Ex): A scout relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve her defense. She deals a number of extra d6 of damage on all attacks she makes during her turn, after having moved at least 10 feet.
The extra damage only applies against living creatures that have a discernible anatomy. Undead, construct, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The scout must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot, and must be able to reach such a spot. Scouts can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing, but only if the target is within 30 feet.
Scouts also gain a competence bonus to Armor Class during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet. The bonus applies as soon as the scout has moved 10 feet, and lasts until the start of her next turn.
A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load. If she gains the skirmish ability from another class, the bonuses stacks. Skirmish damage stacks with other precision-based damage, like sneak attacks.
Trapfinding (Ex): A scout can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and she can use the Disable Device skill to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps.
Battle Fortitude (Ex): At 2nd level, a scout gains a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves and Initiative checks. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 20th level. A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a scout cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so.
Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a scout gains a +10 feet enhancement bonus to her base land speed. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +20 feet. A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Trackless Steps: Beginning at 3rd level, a scout cannot be tracked in natural surroundings.
Bonus Feats: At 4th level and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level), a scout gains a bonus feat, which must be selected from the following list: Acrobatics, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Blind-Fight, Brachiation, Combat Expertise, Danger Sense, Dodge, Endurance, Far Shot, Great Fortitude, Hear the Unseen, Improved Initiative, Improved Swimming, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Quick Reconnoiter, Rapid Reload, Shot on the Run, Skill Focus, Spring Attack, Track.
Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, a scout can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save.
Flawless Stride (Ex): Starting at 6th level, a scout can move through any sort of terrain that slows movement (such as undergrowth, rubble, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. This ability does not let her move more quickly throught terrains that requires a Climb or Swim check to navigate, nor can she move quickly through terrain or undergrowth that has been magically manipulated to impede motion. A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Camouflage (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a scout can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain. A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Blindsense (Ex): At 10th level, a scout gains blindsense ability out to 30 feet.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Beginning at 14th level, a scout can use the Hide skill, while in any sort of natural terrain, even while being observed.
Free Movement (Ex): At 18th-level and higher, a scout can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a freedom of movement spell, except that it is always active. A scout loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Blindsight (Ex): A 20th-level scout gains the blindsight ability out to 30 feet. Her senses become so acute that she can maneuver and fight flawlessly even in total darkness. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the scout must have line of effect to a creature to discern it.[/sblock][/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads