D&D 5E Interesting Race/Class/Background combinations

Forest Gnome Barbarian, Urchin background.
Orphaned after a tragic cart accident in the big city, grew up on the streets among the humans, befriending the alley cats and sewer rats and stray dogs (speak with small animals).
He is terribly enthusiastic as befits a gnome but when he thinks about what happened to his parents, or sees anyone being bullied or kept downtrodden, he just gets really mad.
He has a high Dex and prefers to fight with a rapier (those narrow city alleys favour the cut and thrust over the hack and slash).
He's ace.

Geoarrge

Explorer
A Halfling Noble Barbarian, prince of an obscure tribe, prophesied to find a new homeland for his people. Gets very frustrated when nobody takes his credentials seriously. His signet ring and pedigree papers are a carved bear tooth and an ink painting on a wolf pelt.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
A Dark Elf Acolyte Rogue who belongs to a cult of thieves?
Speaking of which...
The character I've been playing for quite some time in a "home" (read: FLGS) game: a half-elf acolyte assassin/shadow monk/feypact bladelock. Basically a member of an elite, secret order of assassins within the elven church. He's been so much fun to play.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Kobold Noble. (Comes from a long and proud lineage of princely dragon slaves.)

Catfolk/Rakasta Pirate. (Aquaphobe who lives on a boat!)

(Half) Ogre Secret Agent Rogue. (Shhh!! I am in disguise as one of the human cultists!)

Goblin Sage. (Listen to the great wisdom of the 11 year old!)

Hobgoblin Charlatan. (I will lie to you within the bounds of my honor!)

Minotaur Guild Artist. (For some reason his porcelain shop business just isn't doing too hot.)

Rakasha Urchin. (Alms... alms... alms for the evil megalomaniacal sorcerer tigerman....)

This is probably my favorite aspect of the system! I have a had a great time with it.

I have made a High Elf Illusionist Wizard with the Entertainer Background which was a lot of fun. He yelled magic words, some taken from Harry Potter books and Latin class, whenever he casts any spell (I made it a flaw, if he can't yell it theatrically, it just fizzles...)

I also made a Dwarf Battlemaster Noble (think John Hannibal Smith from the A Team)

My current PC is a Halfling Ranger with the Soldier Background (which, admittedly, isn't that odd)

My backup PC, waiting in the wings, is a Forest Gnome Priest of War (Torm) with a Charlatan Background (Think Psyops)

ccs

41st lv DM
I have a dead Warforged Fighter (Eldritch Knight), Nobel (knight).

He's an animated/clockwork suit of armor who's continuously being upgraded by a trio of gnome tinkerers.
Think Iron-Man. With a pit-crew.

Currently the gnomes are crafting him a new head....
Once that's complete a raise dead spell is needed.

So my next 5e character is planned to be one of the gnomes, forced to do some adventuring of his own to get the parts/spell.
Background wise I might make the gnome a noble (knight) as well so I can keep the remaining pit crew + dead warforged handy.

Azurewraith

Explorer
High elf Spy (variant Criminal) Paladin of Vengeance -- a divine assassin. I might have gone acolyte+rogue instead, but assassinating people with a great sword is important to me.

Interesting my divine assassin is a rogue/paladin with a sailor(dread pirate) background he uses the cover of being a pirate to get around town doing what needs to be done.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Dwarf Bard/Skald Sailor who embraces the sea life as a "saltbeard" (gently cribbed from Pathfinder). Has seen a lot of things and has many stories to tell.

Throw a bunch of Dwarf Pirates on a ship and enjoy your new Vikings.

Remove ads