D&D 5E Interesting Race/Class/Background combinations

TheAres19991

First Post
I have have Half-Orc Cleric named Reverend Hul Trunton. His background is a Cloistered Scholar. His story is that he was born rich, but learned to hate the violent ways of his people, and after a wizard came through his village one day, he realized the power of study. He liquidated all of his assets and left. He spent days on end studying, until he came learned the power of the gods. He became a Life Cleric, and dedicated his life to good.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Mechanically interesting, or backstory/character development interesting? Any race/class combo can be interesting if you develop the character. But some have distinct mechanical quirks or advantages.

Ritorix

First Post
I like using a Background to show some character growth over time.

Anyasa is the weird elven witch living alone on the outskirts of a human village. She might brew the peasants a 'love potion' or magically help mend their tools, but mostly keeps to herself. She's even got a black cat familiar. Clearly a witch. But really she's just biding her time. She's putting on an act while she's been hiding out for a 'few years' (40 so far) among the short-lived humans, avoiding her Criminal past. She used to run with a bad crew and wanted out; now she wants nothing to do with her old life, but of course it won't let go (Criminal Contact). Her old skills are a bit rusty, but in the meantime she's discovered a real talent for magic, and more importantly had a change of heart. Mechanically you get a wizard with a few rogue skills.

Valetudo

Adventurer
I have not had the chance to play a character, only dm. But I think I would go with a mountain dwarf valor bard. He would specialize in dwarven operas. I imagine him talking like the necromancer from the Venture bros.

CapnZapp

Legend
One of the most interesting aspects of 5E is that backgrounds have been turned into a core feature of character creation, almost on a par with classes and races. What's fascinating is that, thanks to that system, you could come up with fairly imaginative character concepts with little to no effort.
Agreed.

While backgrounds play little role in the power level of your character, and can be ignored if you just want to kick down some doors and bash a couple of goblins, it is a very nice bone thrown to the role-players. I like its inclusion very much.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I would like to think my current two 5e characters are interesting.

"SHAGGY"
Half-Elf Draconic (Silver) Bloodline Sorcerer with the Acolyte background, raised by the Temple of Tyr, recently converted to the faith of Elistae.
His dearest wish is to be a world-renowned painter, and for the longest time he WASN'T proficient with painter's tools.

THISS'LARO
Lizardfolk Light Domain Cleric/Fighter with the Guild Artisan (leather worker) background, who worships Hades, eats his enemies and makes weapons from their carcasses (to the great unease of his companions) . . . And wears a baker's hat on his head in an inept attempt to blend in with his companions.
In a comedic turn of events, ol' Thiss has recently been declared an official ambassador to the non-lizardfolk races, to the incredulity of his adventuring companions.

Yuan-ti Pureblood Charlatan -- This is my usual choice for Yuan-ti Pureblood PCs trying to "pass" as human.

Criminal Paladin of Devotion -- You were a common criminal until one day you saw the light. How does your past still haunt you?

Acolyte Warlock -- Why did you turn away from your God to make a pact with some other entity?

Half-Elf Noble -- Nobility is normally only reserved for those of pure blood. Somehow, you were an exception. Is this some rare noble house of only half-elves? Or is something else going on?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Human, Chirurgeon (Sage, replace History with Medicine), Paladin of the Ancients/Warlock of the Great Old Ones. No conflict between his patrons, because they're the same being-- a horrifying Far Realms goddess of love, beauty, and "self improvement". He was the court physicker to a dying, wise and beloved king, and he swore his blasphemous Oath in a desperate bid to save his life. When his liege died... the nameless goddess offered to release him from her service... but grieving and purposeless, he chose to dedicate himself fully instead.

Played dead straight as an Ancients Paladin, but as many of his Warlock invocations as possible were fluffed as... biological.

Half-Orc Noble Rogue (Swashbuckler). The bastard firstborn son of a duchess, the reason she was forced to marry down, ineligible to inherit her titles or estates. He has the best education money can buy, an officer's commission and letters of marque... and he adventures to leave a legacy for his younger half-siblings that his incompetent and grasping stepfather can't squander.

Absolutely ate up with the Genteel Proficiency Delusion, and it would probably shatter him into a million pieces if he ever had to admit that much of his physical prowess comes from his father's side.

Remove ads