D&D 5E Invisibility and Perception

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't agree.

Once you've taken the "hide action" you can maintain your stealthiness by moving at no more than half your speed. That is, for lack of a better term, sneaking. You can continue to make your stealth rolls as you sneak around at half speed without having to take another "hide action" until you are discovered.

I think that an invisible character should absolutely be able to sneak. If the character uses its full movement, then sure--it is making no effort, or no meaningful effort--to be stealthy. If it uses no more than half of its movement and the player expresses an intent to tiptoe quietly, then it is entirely reasonable to let that character make a stealth check as he sneaks across the room.

I don't think that ruling is unreasonable and as a player I'd gratefully accept it for the gift that it is. As a DM, I don't think that ruling is in keeping with the rules for hiding and combat action economy and thus my ruling would differ.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
I do not think an invisible creature in combat needs to make a sneak or hide roll. They are considered heavily obscured and 'perceiving' creatures are effectively blind when dealing with invisible creatures. Unless their is extenuating circumstances, no perception is allowed. They can guess and attack their guesses, at disadvantage. They can take a readied action vs attack from the invisible creature. If a perception is allowed, it would be at disadvantage against the invisible creatures passive stealth, which in this case would be at plus 5, because the invisible creature has advantage on stealth.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Once you've taken the "hide action" you can maintain your stealthiness by moving at no more than half your speed. That is, for lack of a better term, sneaking. You can continue to make your stealth rolls as you sneak around at half speed without having to take another "hide action" until you are discovered.

Is there something in the book that references restricted movement relative to Stealth? The only information I could find was for overland travel which restricts speed to 2/3 normal movement to allow for group Stealth checks. I was considering implementing a rule that would equally restrict grid/combat movement if the person was trying to maintain Stealth.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases