• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E is a big Pathfinder surge on the way?

enrious

In that case, yes, I would say that is their core customer base. Or at least, that it was; I think they've developed their own fan community to the point that even an official WotC re-release of 3.X D&D wouldn't put them out of business.

Not without tinkering with 3.x, IMO.

I mean, that 3.x release would have to be 10 times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres to sway Pathfinder players into playing 3.5 again.

All of the Pathfinder/4e talk aside, let's not forget that there is a sizeable number of 3.5 players who never stopped playing that.

As for:
I'd probably shop around too if the game I was playing was going to be canceled and there were similar games out there that were going to be well supported into the future.

Given how many 4e books are released, why on Earth would there being or not being future books matter?

It's the exact same 3.5 argument, only for 4e, and it's just as much of a non sequitor.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Not without tinkering with 3.x, IMO.

I would go so far as to say at this point that if Wizards of the Coast published a new edition of the game that followed the design principles of the 3.X rules and made them that much more appealing to the 3.X fanbase, they still would not be capable of reclaiming the market share they lost to Paizo. They'd pick up a sizable crowd of dual-purchasers, but Paizo has loyalists of its own now.

Hell, if they did enough with Tome of Battle to balance the non-spellcasters and put it back under the OGL, I'd probably buy the books but I wouldn't switch except to incorporate the new material into my Pathfinder games.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I can see Pathfinder adventures selling a lot more once 5e comes out, if 5e is reasonable easy to run past edition's modules with.

I think WOTC's stance on adventures was something of a self-fulfilling prophecy - they made terrible ones, so no one bought them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads