D&D General Is DnD being mothballed?

darjr

I crit!
Yea, but even at a slower pace their should be more for this game, like PHB2 would actually be new classes, and more then that then just a few subclasses and DM's tool, their wasnt even a lot in that, and why arent we getting more player options like that, for what reason?
Its just less money, they dont print a lot, what they do print doesnt have much in it, if it was about making money, printing new player options even at a slow pace would happen a lot more, classes, more subclasses more rules, they just do not do this.

I think it might go beyond just "its strategy" Im not sure if it makes sense.
No.

This is the best selling rpg ever.

If that other stuff was the secret sauce it might have been 3rd.

Oofta

Legend
They didn't have a PHB 2, DMG 2 or any other numbered books because based on their research people found it confusing. They don't invest a ton into D&D? They just spent how much buying DndBeyond? They're investing in a VTT just for funzies?

I don't buy it. No, they aren't plowing a ton of money into it, it's not a major product for them because even as the most successful TTRPG ever it still pales in comparison to the money made on things like video games.

Scribe

Legend
I dont think it was mothballed. I think its intentionally being slow rolled.

I agree that Xanathars/Tashas are the 'PHB 2/3' books, its just a different system of delivery.

I DO however believe when I look at various kickstarters, that Wizards/Hasbro has left a lot of money on the table.

FallenRX

Adventurer
No.

This is the best selling rpg ever.

If that other stuff was the secret sauce it might have been 3rd.
My point is, its the best selling RPG ever..and it doesnt look like it, it looks meager, in terms of content, production and releases.

And best selling RPG ever i dont think means much to those guys, because they can make more money by just giving away the license, to make a video game and watch the money just come in. Its not worth much in comparison, and certainly not worth actually giving money too, unless they do a big digital initiative for microtransactions, no one is giving the DnD 5e team millions to the develop the RPG, thats going into the movies, and video games. They are giving that dev team chump change in comparison.

Oofta

Legend
My point is, its the best selling RPG ever..and it doesnt look like it, it looks meager, in terms of content, production and releases.

And best selling RPG ever i dont think means much to those games, because they can make more money by just giving away the license, to make a video game and watch the money just come in. Its not worth much in comparison, and certainly not worth actually giving money too, unless they do a big digital initiative for microtransactions.
They learned a lesson from previous editions: more books don't mean more profit.

darjr

I crit!
They didn't have a PHB 2, DMG 2 or any other numbered books because based on their research people found it confusing. They don't invest a ton into D&D? They just spent how much buying DndBeyond? They're investing in a VTT just for funzies?

I don't buy it. No, they aren't plowing a ton of money into it, it's not a major product for them because even as the most successful TTRPG ever it still pales in comparison to the money made on things like video games.
Look most of the D&D video games were a HUGE bust.

BG3 Being GOY was a surprise.

FallenRX

Adventurer
They learned a lesson from previous editions: more books don't mean more profit.
Its not just more books, but what books they are making, if profit is the goal, more player options and more content about stuff like that, would be made more, but...they dont do that, its not profit, its something else.

Oofta

Legend

True, but hope springs eternal right? That, and the other games released in the past decade were kind of crap until BG3. It's the first AAA single player D&D game released in a long time.

Kurotowa

Legend

Indeed. The reason there's no big box set to go with Baldur's Gate 3 is that no one expected it to be the success it was. Even Larian Studios was caught by surprise. They and WotC were hoping it would do well, sure. But hoping it'll do well and planning major releases around one of the most popular video games of the year are different stories.

Larian and WotC probably expected it to do a bit better than Divinity Original Sin 2, but not this. Are tie-in releases in the works now? Oh, you betcha. But those take a while.

Remove ads