D&D 5E Is it right for WoTC to moralize us in an adventure module?

How about "it's not right for an adventure writer to dictate what the 'right' course of actions are to 'win' a scenario?"
I don't agree. There are multiple ways to win the scenario, it's just explicit that if the players work the Golden Vault Org (Something that is optional) the Golden Vault will not reward them for doing things they consider distasteful.

Reynard

Legend
Actually the adventure is clear that the prisoner is still operating as normal despite the anti magic.
Technically, when out of the anti-magic. The boss get messages out from prison is a trope.
I agree that protagonists in The Witcher and Game of Thrones could be about making less-evil type decisions.
And, frankly, most of the people I have played with.
I think D&D (at least my D&D) is about the right to make good decision, not just less evil ones.
I'm ambivalent in theory but generally prefer it if the PCs are not monsters.
Also I am still frustrated trying to understand why a LG organization would decide it is good and lawful to:
  • violate the jurisdiction of the prison
  • condone unlawfully breaking into a prison
  • etc. etc.
  • all for materialistic enrichment (gold)?

If they are LG, why didn't they follow legal procedures, send an agent to diplomatically allow access to the prisoner and, say, look we need to talk to your prisoner in order to release the funds to our client? To me, that's lawful good.

Then you might, say, well that's not a fun adventure. So then I'd say: true, so why not restructure the adventure plot so it doesn't put us in this awkward situation?
All for treasure, right? I mean if they needed the info to save an innocent or something it would make more sense.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Why, the PCs also don't know that.
Then why does she need the ledger?

Either the "good" ending of the adventure requires that the PCs unknowingly aid and abet a criminal mastermind, or not inquire too closely why she needs it. Neither is optimal for me.

Reynard

Legend
A plot point that, arguably, compels a good PC to want to report it to the prison warden and say, "Hey your prisoner that you thought was secured, she's actually still doing her thing."
The PCs have a job to do. It's good for there to be a little bit of consternation about getting it done, even a litle friction or mild conflict between part members. That's all in genre. But in the end, they have to do the job if they want the payout.

Then why does she need the ledger?

Either the "good" ending of the adventure requires that the PCs unknowingly aid and abet a criminal mastermind, or not inquire too closely why she needs it. Neither is optimal for me.
They don't know why she wants it. She won't tell them. It's up to the PC's to decide if helping her is worth it (They already have permission to help her escape if that is what is required)

Remove ads