• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Vi and the Cyre 1313 disagree.
This from the book, though, agrees.

"Eberron is part of the Great Wheel of the multiverse, as described in the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide. At the same time, it is fundamentally apart from the rest of the Great Wheel, sealed off from the other planes even while it's encircled by its own wheeling cosmology."

Being sealed off means nobody gets in or out. So no teleporting there, no knowledge that gods are real, no nothing other than Eberron as it was in 3e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This from the book, though, agrees.

"Eberron is part of the Great Wheel of the multiverse, as described in the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide. At the same time, it is fundamentally apart from the rest of the Great Wheel, sealed off from the other planes even while it's encircled by its own wheeling cosmology."

Being sealed off means nobody gets in or out. So no teleporting there, no knowledge that gods are real, no nothing other than Eberron as it was in 3e.
Yet at the same time, they include a character from Eberron who lives in Sigil and visits Ravnica and the Forgotten Realms.

Bolares

Hero
No worries, I just noticed in another post the Eberron is in its own Prime in 5e, so it seems like the idea of multiple primes still exist.
This is how I've always interpeted the 5e multiverse. Everything is connected, but each setting has it's own planes and cosmology. I've always read it as everything in a setting is in its own crystal sphere, not just the material plane. This is how Tiamat can be in Avernus in FR, in Khyber in Eberron, being thakisis in Krynn...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yet at the same time, they include a character from Eberron who lives in Sigil and visits Ravnica and the Forgotten Realms.
Nobody is perfect. Inconsistencies are going to happen. I'm guessing it was an oversight.

If Eberron is sealed off, then you can't get descriptions or items from other prime worlds to teleport there or vice versa. No idea how that person ended up there, but a place sealed off from the wheel won't have gates or doors to places like Sigil.

dave2008

Legend
Every seal has some cracks eventually.

I think they are trying to tread that line to allow people to have complete closed of settings and also give some people an "official" excuse to opening them. @doctorbadwolf seems to think they all wide open connected, but that quote from Eberron, RftLW indicates the it still has its own unique cosmology, with just a tread of a connection to the wheel.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nobody is perfect. Inconsistencies are going to happen. I'm guessing it was an oversight.

If Eberron is sealed off, then you can't get descriptions or items from other prime worlds to teleport there or vice versa. No idea how that person ended up there, but a place sealed off from the wheel won't have gates or doors to places like Sigil.
I think there was a disagreement among the developers, and the compromise leaving it open is what made it into the book. BUt Crawford is the one who controls Acquisitions Incorporated, so he was able to push his version into that level of canon.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
as it is in 5e*. I know this is pedantic, but there are changes in Eberron, like the dwarves
I didn't play Eberron. I'm not into magic being that common, so as a setting it just doesn't appeal to me. My comment exclusively pertains to 5e Eberron being sealed away from the rest of the Wheel and having it's own unique cosmology still.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads