D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Yeah the Roman model isn’t exactly respectful of the legitimacy of other cultures.
Come to think of it, the Roman model of saying "Our interpretation of cosmology and the gods is the correct one, and anything that disagrees with it is just a misunderstanding the truth that we've figured out" is pretty apropos for the 2E/5E cosmology (especially the Planescape version).

Gaulish Dude: "I'm a worshiper of Sucellus, god of agriculture."
Roman Sage: "God of agriculture? Well, clearly this 'Sucellus' is just your name for Apollo."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Come to think of it, the Roman model of saying "Our interpretation of cosmology and the gods is the correct one, and anything that disagrees with it is just a misunderstanding the truth that we've figured out" is pretty apropos for the 2E/5E cosmology (especially the Planescape version).

Roman Sage: "God of agriculture? Well, clearly this 'Sucellus' is just your name for Apollo."
But the Gauls were fine with that, and just felt that Apollo was another name for Sucellus. Same with the Greeks, Germans, Egyptians, etc. That's because they believed the gods were real, and ergo transcendent across cultures.

But the Gauls were fine with that, and just felt that Apollo was another name for Sucellus. Same with the Greeks, Germans, Egyptians, etc. That's because they believed the gods were real, and ergo transcendent across cultures.
I'm pretty sure there was at least one major people group interacting with the Romans who didn't appreciate their religion and deity being subsumed into the Roman view of the gods.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm pretty sure there was at least one major people group interacting with the Romans who didn't appreciate their religion being subsumed into the Roman view of the gods.
Yes, indeed, and they outlasted and absorbed the Romans. But that is neither here nor there, the Translatio was generally well received, because gods are gods.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover

Another reason I don't like Planescape, lol.

Anyways, we should return to how Fizban and the Old Man with canaries are the one and the same. And in fact, when I used the Old Man in my game, I named him Fizban ;)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Yeah and considering we have vastly more records from the Roman side, I rather doubt that we have an especially good idea of what the various Celtic and Germanic peoples thought of the practice.

Aaron L

Hero
Here's an interesting tidbit I just realized while randomly reading through the Artifacts in the 5E DMG; the description of the Orbs of Dragonkind says that Takhisis is Tiamat's name on Krynn.

Topic settled, I guess.

Remove ads

Remove ads