D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Bolares

Hero
I want the books to be something I don't have to tack addendums and caveats to so that players can actually make good use of said books. If I'm playing Eberron, I want to know that things like "the gods might not exist, but divine magic definitely does" and "this is not the same cosmology as FR, and you can't get from one to the other via anything like normal means" aren't going to change.
Well, you will never know they aren't going to change. They haven't until now. Rising did not change that. Giving a possible answer if you want it to be in the same cosmology and be accessible is not changing that. But they can change that anytime they want. They did a lot of changes in Ravenloft...

dave2008

Legend
I hope this thread has finally taught me to stop engaging people on the topic of the relevance of "official" lore/fluff past and present.

PS It just seems to offend some people and that is never my intent.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I want the books to be something I don't have to tack addendums and caveats to so that players can actually make good use of said books. If I'm playing Eberron, I want to know that things like "the gods might not exist, but divine magic definitely does" and "this is not the same cosmology as FR, and you can't get from one to the other via anything like normal means" aren't going to change.

Well I think everyone wants that. But not everyone plays with that same assumption, so no book will make everyone happy in that respect.

As far as being consistent with prior World building?

Absolutely.

Otherwise, no let's just change foundational aspects of Eberron, or Ravenloft. Who cares right? Your game can ignore it. /s

I simply don't understand why this matters, so have no retort.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
That is the exact connection I use.
Nice! That's actually how I connect the worlds of M:tG, the ones in the Prime Material Plane, and Eberron. In my cosmology, Xoriat is a small pocket of the Far Realm that can be used to travel into the Far Realm (if you can survive it without going insane), where you can then venture into one of the layers of the Far Realm that's called the Blind Eternities, and travel to the different worlds of the Magic: the Gathering Multiverse, and the Ring of Siberys prevents travel from the Toril, Oerth, Krynn, Exandria and similar worlds to get to Eberron, but there are ways around it (by flying above the Ring of Siberys, destroying the Ring, having Epic Level Magics, etc).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
For what its worth, I cannot grasp the appeal of taking an established setting, and saying 'nah just do what you want' either. ;)

So I guess the opinion you have is simply "I liked the old thing, give me more of the old thing." Which I've never understood, because you have the old books. Use them. Why you even need or want the same lore republished in a new book makes no sense to me.

I think the canon blog strikes a nice balance, essentially saying "do what you want to do" instead of saying "Those old books are poop, all new books are canon!" But I guess some folks just need it printed exactly how they remember it, otherwise it's ruined, even if doesn't matter...

Scribe

Legend
So I guess the opinion you have is simply "I liked the old thing, give me more of the old thing." Which I've never understood, because you have the old books. Use them. Why you even need or want the same lore republished in a new book makes no sense to me.

I think the canon blog strikes a nice balance, essentially saying "do what you want to do" instead of saying "Those old books are poop, all new books are canon!" But I guess some folks just need it printed exactly how they remember it, otherwise it's ruined, even if doesn't matter...
Nope, its more like.

"I liked the old thing, give me new stuff that reinforces, expands upon, and is consistent with it."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For what its worth, I cannot grasp the appeal of taking an established setting, and saying 'nah just do what you want' either. ;)
I cant either, but since we have (or are going to have) incompatibilities in our established settings, all we can do is pick what we like and run with it.

Remove ads

Remove ads