D&D (2024) Is Shield to strong of a spell? Should and how would it be changed for OneD&D?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I have run a campaign to 20, the wizard had shield but rarely needed to use it and did not have great AC so often it was not useful. I have played a 10th level fighter EK and a 9th level Bladesinger and used Shield quite often. Very useful but not super, I got hit often enough. EK used a greatsword and used Shield alot but does not really have spells that compete with "Hit them often with sharp and pointy". For the Bladesinger it took a bit more circumspection since it is a real resource hog and there are often other spells I would rather be casting.

It is a top tier spell, but I do not regard it as overpowered. I would not be too upset if it was nerfed slightly either though. It would really depend on what the proposed changes were.
I have never felt any inclination to ban it though.

Shield is fine at lower levels, because you have limited slots. Then it becomes more powerful at higher levels because there's more multi-attacks there and it defends against all of them, only it's no more competing with any other spells and you have 15+ slots anyway.

The problem here isn't really Shield, but that it's given to full casters... or rather, that all your spell slots stack through your life, full casters just get there faster.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Shield is fine at lower levels, because you have limited slots. Then it becomes more powerful at higher levels because there's more multi-attacks there and it defends against all of them, only it's no more competing with any other spells and you have 15+ slots anyway.

The problem here isn't really Shield, but that it's given to full casters... or rather, that all your spell slots stack through your life, full casters just get there faster.
I disagree that one would be burning higher level slots on shield.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Maybe it could be buffed, then made upcast-able:

Shield
1 Action
1 Minute
The next time you are hit before the spell expires, you can reduce the damage of the attack to 0. For the duration of the spell, you are also immune to the magic missile spell.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the number of attack blocked increases by 1 for each slot level above 1st.

Tales and Chronicles

or

Shield
1 Bonus Action
1 minute
Range 5 ft

A wall of force rises from the ground in front of you. You can make the wall up to 15 feet long, 5 feet high, and 1/4 inch thick. You can shape the wall in any way you choose so long as it makes one continuous path along the ground. The wall lasts for the duration and moves with you. If the wall cuts through a creature's space when it appears, the creature is pushed to the other side of the wall.

The wall offers 3/4 cover against attack coming from the other side of the wall and makes you immune to the effect of the magic missile spell.

Shiroiken

Legend
The issue with shield is that it's one of the few spells that remains equally beneficial, regardless of spell level. With cantrips scaling damage, they regularly outperform most level 1 spells, leaving low level slots less useful... except for spells like shield.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The issue with shield is that it's one of the few spells that remains equally beneficial, regardless of spell level. With cantrips scaling damage, they regularly outperform most level 1 spells, leaving low level slots less useful... except for spells like shield.
That is better addressed by better scaling of level 1 spells. They should not be afraid of level scaling, Which I think they were.

Tales and Chronicles

I would prefer they went back to auto-scaling (casters dont have that much spells nowadays) based on Proficiency Bonus, like a Fireball would be 5d6+1d6 per Prof Bonus (aka 8d6 when they get access to it at 5th level).

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark

I've not seen a lot of 10+ level play in 5e. Are there no more powerful options a wizard has for their reaction than shield at higher levels?

I would guess it's strongest aspect and it's biggest weakness, is the fact it uses up a reaction.

Arilyn

Hero
There are other 1st level spells that don't go out of style: detect magic, identify, comprehend languages, feather fall, charm person, disguise self, magic missile (sometimes you just want to auto hit), even sleep if you beat down some of the hp first. I'm sure there are some others I'm not thinking of.

Remove ads