Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai placed his boot on another corpse and reached down to yank another arrow free. The shaft had splintered. “Worthless,” he muttered as he threw it down. He continued to the stash Shen had discovered. Joining in the dig, he paused as they unearthed the remains of a corpse wearing armor subtly marked with guild symbols. The styling was unfamilar to him, but the armor was untouched by decay. He gritted his teeth and grabbed some scraps of cloth from the warren. He gingerly removed the skull and backbone from the armor and wrapped it in the strips of cloth. “We'll bring you home and give you the burial you deserve,” he whispered as he placed the remains in his pack.

“If it's agreeable, we'll carry all of this out and sort out the best way to distribute it among the team when we're in safer surroundings.” The elf lashed the guild armor to his pack and rolled the belt with the thieves' tools and poisoner kit and put it in his backpack. “Isaac and Alejandro, do you think you can help carry some of this stuff out of here? I'm not sure what might be useful or not, but if we can get a few extra coins out of it, it's probably worth the effort to haul out. I'm cautious with the sword and the guild armor though. Their condition makes me think there could be magic involved and that's not always beneficial. We can check it all out when we're in safer surroundings.”

[SBLOCK=OOC]I don't know how we want to divide stuff like this. I'm interested in the guild armor (studded leather is a step up for me), but I think others might be as well. I believe the sword will probably benefit Isaac, but if it's magic, it might depend on the enchantment. My take is grab everything we can and get to the gate into the mines. Once we're on the other side of the gate, we can check our time to see if we need a short rest or just push through with the switch. I'm assuming that we can give our new poisoner friend the poison kit as part of his welcome to the team package.[/SBLOCK]

Macv12

First Post
Shen soon has all the bits separated out: the brain, the shovel-hands, a probable heart, stomach and contents, a couple bones. The usual suspects, mostly. She wipes the goo off her hands with sand and a rag, and puts the spare body parts off out-of-sight a bit.

"Hey, anyone wanna see what I'm lookin' at here? Glow-in-the-dark goblins ain't exactly my area of expertise."

[sblock="OOC"]If Shen notices anything significant, she'll point that out, but so far I'm not sure what she does or doesn't know. Otherwise not going to call out anyone in particular. Obviously Mina is exactly who she was thinking of when she went elsewhere to tear open the freshly dead enemy. :p

Survival: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
Nature: 1D20-1 = [12]-1 = 11[/sblock]
[sblock="RE: Loot"]We could divide cash loot evenly, then figure a rough value for loot items, and let people "buy" those items by giving up some of their share of cash. This would equalize found loot with loot bought using found cash in town, but it's extra bookkeeping. Need/want also works, maybe like this:

- Magic studded leather with thieves guild markings: WANT
- Gold stuff: GIVE
- Elven shortsword: GIVE
- Thieves tools: GIVE
- Poisoners kit: GIVE
- Red potions: WANT (one)
- Clear liquid: ???
- Yellow liquid: ???
- Spiked shield: GIVE
- Armor: GIVE (no proficiency)

Any other ideas?
I would suggest we do this in the other thread though, in case we need to ask a bunch of questions and negotiate and such, so we don't inflate this one.[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=OOC Shen]I'm satisfied with your roles. I required two from you and you got above 10 with each, which is basically like trying to get one roll at -4. So, here's what Shen has learnt[/sblock]

Shen places the blade of her knife down on the creature. Slicing down, all is well until she gets below the taught belly. Suddenly, the liver spurts out as if released by great pressure. Its stinking contents covering Shens arms. The liver is glowing with enough illumination to equal that of a torch. This is the organ that processes poisons in the system. The mass of this goblins liver must be 4 times that of a human and it appears to be working overtime. As she wipes the contents of the liver off her hands, Shen notices a tingling feeling in her hands. Her hands suddenly feel very cold, the pain in this part of her body stopping as the coolness spreads. After about a minute, the coolness stops and the pain returns.

Shen then proceeds to open the creatures skull, examining the brain. She notices that the fight or flight part of the brain, the amygdala, is waaay waaay smaller compared to one in an average goblin. The other parts of the brain are much bigger.

The spades-for-hands? Well, it would in fact appear that the original bones that may have formed fingers may exist within the disgusting calcification. It looks like something has caused these creatures to sprout these peculiar mutations and that something is NOT natural, but it's a trait that consistently appears to have been bred into all sand goblins.

Shen's conclusion, these things appear to be nearly fearless and it is due to their weird brain setup. They also appear to be able to be pain-free due to the fungus they've been eating and their massive livers allow them to process the poisonous properties of these fungi. Their unnatural hands also lead her to thinking of one conclusion, they are not a naturally occurring creature, they were.... Changed, modified somehow. No wonder the city is trying to keep druids away.... A druid would be horrified at this abomination...

The party move further forward after the dissection, listening to the occasional goblin bark off in the distance, they reach the gate to the compound with no further encounters... A sturdy looking half-orc is quietly waiting with a half-elf. The half orc grins at the sight of Daedarai. He puts his hand into a fist and crosses it to his opposite shoulder "Greetings guild brother", he says via the cant. The half-elf can not be entirely seen in the darkness. He appears to hold similar facial features to his replacement, but he looks weathered and tired.

What do you all do?

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=OOC] The nature of the kidney sure sounds like some kind of topical analgesic. It’s kind of macabre, but do we think we should take any specimens with us for study and/or sale? Is knowledge of the mutations enough or should we try and preserve evidence for later somehow?[/SBLOCK]

Approaching the gate, Daedarai returns the greeting to the half-orc. Turning to the half-elf with them, “It looks like everything is ready for you. I’ll get the gate open and we’ll make the swap. Stick with your contact there. He’ll bring you up to speed and get you in place.” He reaches out and shakes the half-elf’s hand before finishing, “Good luck in there.”

Kneeling down to work on the lock, he gets out his tools and attempts to pop it open.

[SBLOCK=Rolls] Open Lock: 1D20+7 = [2]+7 = 9 That doesn’t look good. Sometimes the dice laugh at you.[/SBLOCK]

“Mina, there’s an odd catch on of the tumblers that’s not moving. Can you give me a hand?”

[SBLOCK=OOC] I don’t know how Sezarious would like to run this. Can Mina help me to give me advantage (as per the help action) and another try at the lock or can I help her to give her advantage? She should be proficient in thieves’ tools from her rogue level.[/SBLOCK]

Alejandro has glugged the potion after Isaac says to go for it.

[sblock=Archie's thought] please not poison please not poison please not poison [/sblock]

Upon seeing the brightness of the goblin goo, he takes back the javelin he lent out, wraps some of the goblins rags round the top and dunks it into the goo to act as a torch.

He also rips out the half Orc head's compliment of teeth for the stash.

On seeing the half Orc at the gate he tenses but as he appears to be on our side keeps his distance.

He offers his help to Daederai.

"Here, let me. I'm good with these things". He takes the picks and...

[sblock=Lock picking] Lock picking : 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21
I'm going to assume that's a success?
[/sblock]

... It pops open. He hardly looks as he does it, either.

He hands the tools back to Daederai.

"Happy to help".

Matthan

Explorer
Flustered, the elf slips the pick back into place and quietly rolls up the toolkit as his cheeks lightly flush. “Well, then, let’s get moving.” Opening the gate, he addresses the battered half-elf on the other side, “My associates and I will see you safely back to the city. My name is Daedarai.” He extends his hand in greeting and waits.

Sezarious

Explorer
The half-Orc extends a solid handshake to Daedarai. "Oo'Raff my brother. It is good to meet you. I can only assume you are new to being a senior as I've not seen any of you before. I should let you know that you probably picked the most difficult job on the board, though this is hardly your fault. Other senior members always rush in to snag the easiest jobs and they do so by hiding the jobs they choose on the back. As for these mines, beware. Many a brother has perished down below."

"You have done well to come as a well armed group. As for your poison-maker"; he quietly tries to flick his head in the direction of the gaunt looking half-elf besides him. You see the half-elf appears to be shaking and muttering non-sensicly. "He has a brilliant mind, but... He has not been able to mix himself his medication. Increasing paranoia along with the occassional sobbing, he keeps on repeating about how he is sorry... He 'poisoned the flower in the old house and now the weed doth grow'?" The half-Orc shrugs and continues on. "Anyway, take this parchment for his address. Before he deteriorated, he told me that as soon as he gets taken back to the city, he needs to be given his medicine. He owns a house on the outer ring and has paid a fee to prevent it from being repossessed. There are instructions in his home for mixing medication along with a small locked cabinet full of different poisons. According to him, they're yours for the taking. So that's about it. Oh and can you tell them to hurry MY relief along. I'm happy to build muscle down in the mines and to receive a good payout from the guild, but 2 years without ale is a loooong time for a half-Orc"; he chuckles. "Is there anything else?

Last edited:

Remove ads