It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

gban007

Adventurer
See, corporations actually do owe you something--they owe you a product that is worth the money they are charging for it. No friendship is required for this.

Up until recently, WotC has been pretty good about producing books that are worth the money. They may not have been perfect, and not everything they produced was to my personal taste or was something that I needed, but they've been good enough that I could trust that they'd produce a book that's worth the money. But that trust is gone.

Maybe you have never pre-ordered a book in your life, but you have to realize that many, many people do.
While I agree with main point, that corporations if want us to buy from them, need to provide a product we want / think is worth the price they are charging for, I am a little confused and possibly just haven't followed the converstaion well enough.

Where I'm confused, is what has removed the trust that they will produce a book that is worth the money.

If that is due to recent book releases not being up to scratch, so no longer have that trust, then I can follow - but if it is due to this OGL situation, then I don't quite follow - as while I can see it can have an impact on overall trust, I don't see why it would dent any trust in the quality of books they produce - as this is separate to the OGL to my mind.

If I was a 3rd party publisher, I would have lost trust that I could continue to publish material for D&D outside of 5.1, but that is separate to just buying WOTC books to my mind.

gban007

Adventurer
Um, all the people who seem to be shocked and even dismayed that I don't think it's time to forgive WotC and get back onboard with them. You know, half the people in this thread who are willing to buy the books that are coming out this year. The people who are saying that we should be rewarding them for not actually destroying the OGL and VTTs because gosh, wasn't it nice for them to give us extra with the CC license when we still have no way of knowing how useful that will be when One comes out next year.

Those people.
I don't see how it is blindly trusting to say hey, they've backed out on what they were going to do, so I'm happy to buy products from them again because they are of value to me, and if they do stuff in future I don't like, I may stop buying again.
And again, the CC license / OGL seems irrelevant to me as to whether the books they are buying now are valuable enough to use either now or post One DND - if they have concerns about how One DnD it self will play out, then certainly shouldn't buy books if wanting to use them with One DnD, but otherwise where does the OGL come into the trust equation?

Lichbeard

Explorer
Well, a lot of us are saying we are not angry with them anymore. That's isn't really saying we will be buying future books. I stopped auto buying the books once it became clear to me the quality of the product wasn't really measuring up at least not on a consistent level. It just seemed like to me they started phoning it in and relying on "it's D&D you got to buy it" more and more.

I'm not angry with them so I will once again look at anything they make and see if I might want to buy it.

Secretly I think we are all mostly at the same point. If something comes out that is very good I'm sure most of us will buy it. The likelihood of that happening is just not as high as it once was.

I think the entire reason for this happening in the first place was the growing awareness of the lack of quality lead to lower sales. Bad management instead of handling this with increased attention to putting out a better-quality product, decided to try to eliminate competition.

Things do not look good for the next edition of D&D. I think they have most of their eggs in the D&D movies basket. Hoping that brings in massive amounts of sales.

If the movie isn't a huge hit, they are in trouble.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Um, all the people who seem to be shocked and even dismayed that I don't think it's time to forgive WotC and get back onboard with them. You know, half the people in this thread who are willing to buy the books that are coming out this year. The people who are saying that we should be rewarding them for not actually destroying the OGL and VTTs because gosh, wasn't it nice for them to give us extra with the CC license when we still have no way of knowing how useful that will be when One comes out next year.

Those people.
I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. All I reliably have to act upon, other than rumors and conspiracies spun by outsiders, is what they actually do. And they walked back from the abyss for now. So, for now, I'm going to walk back from the brink of boycott and go back to evaluating products on an individual basis and how well they fit my preferences. Like I always have done.

As far as buying stuff for One D&D when it comes out - I'll make that determination when it's relevant. I'm buying and using 5e stuff now, and future issues of licenses with One D&D are irrelevant to that.

If you want to continue to boycott them because you feel they burned their bridges, then it wouldn't matter whether or not they changed their behavior. That's fine... for you. But it may not be for some of the rest of us who expressed our ire to get them to change their behavior. Since that behavior changed, people who had the same goal as I did should change our approach to acknowledge and reinforce it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
While I agree with main point, that corporations if want us to buy from them, need to provide a product we want / think is worth the price they are charging for, I am a little confused and possibly just haven't followed the converstaion well enough.

Where I'm confused, is what has removed the trust that they will produce a book that is worth the money.
I already said: Spelljammer. They didn't include any of the 2e lore (such as the space-factions and space-religions) and they also didn't create new lore to replace it. I didn't read the adventure (someone else at my table had originally planned on running it) but I've heard it's terribly rail-roady--the potential DM certainly said it was pretty bad. The monsters were incredibly lackluster and included a cosmic horror that was reduced to nothing more than a boring combat monster; several of the monsters updated from 2e had most of their personality stripped away and also became little more than combat monsters--and many of those monsters were actually from Dark Sun, which suggests that that setting is going to be cut short as well, should it ever get published. The books lacked mechanics for space combat. They failed to go into details about solar systems, thus moving away from some of what made Spelljammer interesting--the idea that you could legitimately have discworlds or cube-shaped suns or planets resting on clockwork machinery. And they used thick paper and divided into three books to hide the fact that it had a very low page count.

It had 64 fewer pages than VGR and cost $20 more. I would have taken thinner pages or a single book for a lower price, because that slipcase and extra binding wasn't worth $20 in and of itself.

And that's ignoring their screw-up with the hadozee. I'm more than willing to accept it was just a dumb mistake that happened because they didn't have a sensitivity reader look over it, and that they'll use one in the future as they've promised to do.

Please note that I am not talking about just things I don't like. I'm not fond of the loss of crystal spheres and putting Wild Space (and thus the Material Plane) in the Astral, but that's purely a matter of personal taste and I can easily ignore it, adapt it, or learn to accept it. I'm talking about actual lack of included material. To go back to cosmic horrors for a moment--they had two small paragraphs of flavor text. I can't help but think that in earlier editions, even earlier in 5e, there would have been two paragraphs on the cults that spring up around them. The section on dead gods is also a mere two paragraphs long, and I'm positive that there would have been a chapter about them in an earlier edition--in fact, there was a 5-page-long chapter on dead gods in the 2e Planescape book Guide To The Astral Plane.

If that is due to recent book releases not being up to scratch, so no longer have that trust, then I can follow - but if it is due to this OGL situation, then I don't quite follow - as while I can see it can have an impact on overall trust, I don't see why it would dent any trust in the quality of books they produce - as this is separate to the OGL to my mind.
It's about both. They've shown they're untrustworthy on two different fronts. Maybe even a third, if those recent tweets about WotC having a hostile work environment are true.

If I was a 3rd party publisher, I would have lost trust that I could continue to publish material for D&D outside of 5.1, but that is separate to just buying WOTC books to my mind.
See, I am. I mean, I've only published a single book, and it was for Level Up, so I'm also waiting for LU to finalize whatever their dealings are with ORC, or whatever license they choose (I don't know what's involved on their end), before I complete my second book. And even though I was never going to be even a blip on WotC's radar (my first book has given me enough money to not feel guilty about spending money on new gaming books, if they're on sale), their willingness to screw with other 3pps means that I can't trust them to not try to do it again. Even if they can't do it with 5e-based books now, because of the CC, they can do it with One-based books in the near future.

gban007

Adventurer
I already said: Spelljammer. They didn't include any of the 2e lore (such as the space-factions and space-religions) and they also didn't create new lore to replace it. I didn't read the adventure (someone else at my table had originally planned on running it) but I've heard it's terribly rail-roady--the potential DM certainly said it was pretty bad. The monsters were incredibly lackluster and included a cosmic horror that was reduced to nothing more than a boring combat monster; several of the monsters updated from 2e had most of their personality stripped away and also became little more than combat monsters--and many of those monsters were actually from Dark Sun, which suggests that that setting is going to be cut short as well, should it ever get published. The books lacked mechanics for space combat. They failed to go into details about solar systems, thus moving away from some of what made Spelljammer interesting--the idea that you could legitimately have discworlds or cube-shaped suns or planets resting on clockwork machinery. And they used thick paper and divided into three books to hide the fact that it had a very low page count.

It had 64 fewer pages than VGR and cost $20 more. I would have taken thinner pages or a single book for a lower price, because that slipcase and extra binding wasn't worth $20 in and of itself.

And that's ignoring their screw-up with the hadozee. I'm more than willing to accept it was just a dumb mistake that happened because they didn't have a sensitivity reader look over it, and that they'll use one in the future as they've promised to do.

Please note that I am not talking about just things I don't like. I'm not fond of the loss of crystal spheres and putting Wild Space (and thus the Material Plane) in the Astral, but that's purely a matter of personal taste and I can easily ignore it, adapt it, or learn to accept it. I'm talking about actual lack of included material. To go back to cosmic horrors for a moment--they had two small paragraphs of flavor text. I can't help but think that in earlier editions, even earlier in 5e, there would have been two paragraphs on the cults that spring up around them. The section on dead gods is also a mere two paragraphs long, and I'm positive that there would have been a chapter about them in an earlier edition--in fact, there was a 5-page-long chapter on dead gods in the 2e Planescape book Guide To The Astral Plane.

It's about both. They've shown they're untrustworthy on two different fronts. Maybe even a third, if those recent tweets about WotC having a hostile work environment are true.

See, I am. I mean, I've only published a single book, and it was for Level Up, so I'm also waiting for LU to finalize whatever their dealings are with ORC, or whatever license they choose (I don't know what's involved on their end), before I complete my second book. And even though I was never going to be even a blip on WotC's radar (my first book has given me enough money to not feel guilty about spending money on new gaming books, if they're on sale), their willingness to screw with other 3pps means that I can't trust them to not try to do it again. Even if they can't do it with 5e-based books now, because of the CC, they can do it with One-based books in the near future.
Thanks for all that - makes it clearer to me, and I certainly have no issues with your stance, just previously the different factors were getting conflated for me at least when trying to understand your posts, and hence my confusion.

For some people, they may have been happy with Spelljammer, or happy to say that was a one off, and so happy to still consider future products, and so happy to continue buying products in future, and I don't think the OGL trust issues will necessarily play a big part in that, or that people are wrong to consider buying future products, and don't consider it blind trust as such.

You have my sympathy as a 3rd party publisher, as I think while for WOTC consumers it is pretty much back to what it was, I do think for publishers it hasn't gone back to what it was and feels like some bridges burnt by WOTC, and so a lot more uncertainty there, and I hope there does end up being a pathway forward for you, whether through ORC or some other means.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For some people, they may have been happy with Spelljammer, or happy to say that was a one off, and so happy to still consider future products, and so happy to continue buying products in future, and I don't think the OGL trust issues will necessarily play a big part in that, or that people are wrong to consider buying future products, and don't consider it blind trust as such.
Nailed it: I liked the Spelljammer set, though a higher page count would have been nice. OGL stuff is irrelevant to me and my purchases.

Pedantic

Legend
I feel like the point we're missing here is that WotC did plenty of damage just by considering and preparing this course of action, regardless of the fact they ultimately stopped before the point of no return.

We're not back to status quo. The status quo is dead and cannot be resurrected. As soon as WotC put the word "Deauthorized" on a document, they killed it.

Restoring the previous state literally can't happen, but it is probably possible to restore the previous trust, with time, effort, and sincere amends. I don't know why that process should look different for an institution and an individual. WotC has currently stopped doing the bad thing, taken a reasonable step toward making amends, and is, as most corporations do, struggling with admitting fault.

I feel like the point we're missing here is that WotC did plenty of damage just by considering and preparing this course of action, regardless of the fact they ultimately stopped before the point of no return.

No. It is not missed. That is exactly the discussion going on.
The question is how much damage did they really do.

And I want to add something to the thediscussion:
Also, sometimes thing have to be broken to create better things.
Lets hope, every 3pp is now well back on their feet, not that one safe haven is restored and in place forever, out of WotC control.

The rest of your post is rather uncontroversial. I like your last sentence...
it is just the way corporations work...

Remove ads