It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

teitan

Legend
To win me back to D&D completely they would need to go back to their marketing from 5e’s earliest couple years and largely the policies and I don’t mean races and the like. The slow roll out, careful releases, not reprinting iterative adjustments across books for small tweaks to things. Keeping the game in the hands of the DM and the players by keeping optional rules optional.

I'd argue people should have learned a lesson from this experience; it's not healthy for 1 system to dominate the industry like this. Branch out, try new stuff. I'm not boycotting WotC since they backed down, but my table will still be switching to PF2e for our next campaign and we'll likely try a different system and genre after that. Maybe we give 1D&D a try down the road, we'll see.

While I would personally like to see people playing more systems (and I would benefit from people playing more systems), I think if people want 1 system that is commonly understood by everyone, that is fair. The problem is that system was always under the control of one company (a very big company). If we truly want one system and open gaming we really need to consider if it ought to rely entirely on the whims of Hasbro (or of Paizo). I do share your hope that people will branch out after this, but I also hope that if we continue to have one system as the core, that we manage that in a way that is more sustainable, less subject to corporate greed.

Dausuul

Legend
Yes, forgiveness is healthy.

I've known a few of victims of abuse. Holding a grudge only hurt them, even when they where at a distance of years apart. You can both forgive and move on.
There is a difference between letting go of a grudge, and forgiveness. Letting go of the grudge just means you don't waste any more emotional energy on the person. It doesn't mean you change your opinion of them.

As for me, I'm in the "Don't anthropomorphize the giant corporation" camp. WotC is an accounting and legal fiction, a bookkeeping device. It can't be forgiven because it can't do anything -- people who work there do things. There were some people at Wizards who tried to do a bad thing. There were some other people who stepped in to do a good thing. I was mad at the first group and I'm immensely happy with the second group.

When it looked like the first group was in charge, I canceled my DDB subscription, bought some 3PP books, and planned to boycott Wizards. The goal was to tarnish that first group's reputation and reduce their influence within Wizards, and maybe someday get their decision changed. (Also to give 3PPs some love.) I was expecting this to take years and a failed 1D&D release, if it happened at all. Instead it happened within a month.

Now the second group seems to be in charge -- however temporarily, and maybe only for this one thing -- and I want to show my support and strengthen their hand. So I resubscribed and I'm gonna go see the D&D movie and buy some Magic cards when the new set comes out.

I'm not holding a grudge against the first group. I'm not going to waste emotional energy grinding my teeth and wishing them ill. That doesn't mean I've forgiven them, though. I don't need them to be publicly humiliated or fired, but if their boss asked me, "Should I fire these people?" the answer would be a firm yes. And I hope they are kept well away from making any more decisions about D&D.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
That does not really sound like forgiving.
That's because people these days feel like Forgiveness is equal to granting carte blanche. To wiping the slate clean. People often combine Forgive and Forget into a single concept rather than keeping them separate.

Forgiveness is giving up anger and resentment. Letting those harsh feelings subside. It has nothing to do with the regaining of trust, or position, or comfort. Those things have been lost.

But I'm not longer angry. No longer resentful.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
I agree that forgiveness is sorely lacking in modern life and more forgivens should be granted. That said:

1, you can forgive from a distance.
2. you can forgive and also move on.
3. forgetting is not a requirement of forgiveness.
4. you forgive people, not corporations. your emotions are misplaced and you are inviting further pain down the road.

That's because people these days feel like Forgiveness is equal to granting carte blanche. To wiping the slate clean. People often combine Forgive and Forget into a single concept rather than keeping them separate.

Forgiveness is giving up anger and resentment. Letting those harsh feelings subside. It has nothing to do with the regaining of trust, or position, or comfort. Those things have been lost.

But I'm not longer angry. No longer resentful.

I know the difference, thank you. Going around telling everyone not to trust seems not forgiving to me. Sounds like beholding a grudge. But maybe I misinterpreted it.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I know the difference, thank you. Going around telling everyone not to trust seems not forgiving to me. Sounds like beholding a grudge. But maybe I misinterpreted it.
It seems like you're dictating my emotional state from an external perspective after I've expressed and clarified my emotional state.

I think that may be where the interpretation goes astray.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases