• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like RAVENLOFT

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

ravenloft-strahd.jpg

In response to comments about Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman, Merwin said "You like that kind of stuff? I get misty-eyed about it myself."

Of course, none of this is conclusive. But it's hard not to think that - if not Ravenloft itself - something Ravenloft-inspired is coming with the next D&D storyline.

They went on to discuss Baldman Games' (hosts of Winter Fantasy) announcements about D&D events at the convention in February. Regarding the Epic adventure being used to launch the upcoming season, which will debut at that convention, they have the following exchange:

Shawn Merwin: ...if you're into D&D at all, or if you're into Adventurer's League specifically, you will not want to miss.

Christopher Sniezak: I hear there may be blood and stakes involved?

Shawn Merwin: It's definitely possible.

It sounds a little to me like they have discussed this subject in more detail off-air. Whatever the case, these are not the first "gothic" hints we've gotten - it's certainly Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ravenloft, as Bing Crosby once famously sang.

If you want to listen to the full podcast, click here or on Strahd up above.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
It's very likely that they already have a pretty clear picture and have concluded that it's not worth their while.

Remember those premium reprints of the old-edition core rulebooks? Those obviously sold well enough, because they then put out reprints of the "Spell Compendium" and "Magic Item Compendium" (for 3e) and the A- and S- series of adventures (for 1st Ed). Oh, and UA. So there was enough of a market there to justify some expansions.

But since then? Nothing. No T- series, or GDQ, none of the 2nd Ed settings, or the old Greyhawk or FR boxed sets. They could have done those things, but didn't. That suggests they've calculated that it just wasn't worth their while.

Maybe the 5th edition marketing had already swung into gear by then?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
No, it isn't. For a lot of reasons.

Languages change. We say 'you' for singular and plural now, not 'thou'.

'They' is correct and for many it is their preferred pronoun. If you are referring to someone who uses 'they' as their pronoun you will be using it in the singular for them anyway.

It's just how language works.

Banderhobb

First Post
Rather than arguing about whether their doing Ravenloft, or if there going to mess up Ravenloft, or which setting its going to be in.

How about we think about all the cool stuff will get if they do make a horror adventure, new monsters, horror themed spells, warlock pacts with vampires and shadow entities, Vistani magic items, shades, nethermancers, and curses!

if AL features RL the whole being trapped aspect won't feature, as you can play AL mods in any order as long as you're in the correct Tier.

Not arguing it isn't or isn't Ravenloft for season 4, but why couldn't AL put in a blurb something like "This is a Ravenloft adventure and if you play it you cannot play any other adventures with that character except Ravenloft adventures until your character finds a way out?" Assuming AL was up front with such an idea and advertised (and instructed all DMs to make sure players knew), couldn't they change their rules?

I guess my question isn't Ravenloft specific, but more, if they did something before, are they required to do it that way in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:

Corpsetaker

First Post
The adventure When Black Rose's Bloom also allowed for escape by awakening Soth's memories (to Krynn) and House of Strahd allowed it if you free Siergi by "slaying" Strahd (who will reappear, but while he is out you can leave.)

It's easier to leave if you are a good person and further the Dark Powers mysterious goal, but imposable if you are wicked or trying to cheat using magic spells and items.

These cases, well the two actually, are the only recognized cases that beings have escaped and the two being Vecna and Lord Soth. The Dark Powers are the ones who decide whether you leave or not but part of the settings theme and make up is the fact that it is a dark prison.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Not arguing it isn't or isn't Ravenloft for season 4, but why couldn't AL put in a blurb something like "This is a Ravenloft adventure and if you play it you cannot play any other adventures with that character except Ravenloft adventures until your character finds a way out?" Assuming AL was up front with such an idea and advertised (and instructed all DMs to make sure players knew), couldn't they change their rules?

I guess my question isn't Ravenloft specific, but more, if they did something before, are they required to do it that way in the future?

If they aren't going to uphold what is a signature feature of Ravenloft then you have to ask why use it in the first place? You could actually use Greyhawk and pick and area for Goithic Horror.

Remove ads

Remove ads