• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like RAVENLOFT

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

ravenloft-strahd.jpg

In response to comments about Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman, Merwin said "You like that kind of stuff? I get misty-eyed about it myself."

Of course, none of this is conclusive. But it's hard not to think that - if not Ravenloft itself - something Ravenloft-inspired is coming with the next D&D storyline.

They went on to discuss Baldman Games' (hosts of Winter Fantasy) announcements about D&D events at the convention in February. Regarding the Epic adventure being used to launch the upcoming season, which will debut at that convention, they have the following exchange:

Shawn Merwin: ...if you're into D&D at all, or if you're into Adventurer's League specifically, you will not want to miss.

Christopher Sniezak: I hear there may be blood and stakes involved?

Shawn Merwin: It's definitely possible.

It sounds a little to me like they have discussed this subject in more detail off-air. Whatever the case, these are not the first "gothic" hints we've gotten - it's certainly Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ravenloft, as Bing Crosby once famously sang.

If you want to listen to the full podcast, click here or on Strahd up above.

hawkeyefan

Legend
But that really defeats the whole purpose of the setting. It is more than just gothic horror, the dark prison theme is just as much a part of Ravenloft as Strahd. I get what you are saying but what's the point in Ravenloft if the dark powers are just going to let them go? There are plenty of people who were not evil and were abducted and who are either still there or died of old age.

Things stop becoming special when it starts happening all the time.

Your last sentence explains it entirely and you answered your own question. Because they knew that a horror themed campaign might not be everyone's cup of tea, but an occasional horror themed module would be, they built in a way to have the setting be temporary. The mists come in and take the PCs away. They have to embark upon some dark adventure and try to find a way home. Many of the RL modules included ways for them to do exactly that.

Because horror might get old for some. So they designed it to be temporary if that's what the individual gaming group wanted. Others might enjoy a horror themed setting...and so they were not able to escape.

The Dark Powers were just a loosely described device to allow the DM to do whatever fit his game. I don't think things are nearly as set in stone when it comes to them as you are describing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it is. Have you actually read the setting?

Your behaviour on this board is becoming increasingly rude to other members. Please do not post in this thread again.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I'd love and welcome a new Ravenloft. But I don't see enough evidence yet to convince me that's what we will get. I won't hold my breath. But I will certainly breathe deeply and contently if it turns out to indeed be the case.

But the thing is you have already spoiled it by stating "when" they get out. You have already given some indication that they will leave.

Defeats the purpose of the setting.

Given that the AL only puts out things in a season, would it be better to start a new PC, say at level and say you never get to leave. Or perhaps just not say there are anyways out and imply you may never ever get that PC back if you choose to play any of that AL season?

Benji

First Post
My guess is if they do release this, it'd be next year at halloween time. That might be what Chris Perkins was on about when he was going on about the best time to release something like that. I might be wrong but I'd guess it won;t necessarily be the next ap.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My guess is if they do release this, it'd be next year at halloween time. That might be what Chris Perkins was on about when he was going on about the best time to release something like that. I might be wrong but I'd guess it won;t necessarily be the next ap.

That was also my guess, but I've definitely been wrong before. :) Like last Tuesday. Which wasn't actually Wednesday, however much I thought it was!

Cheers!

Mirtek

Hero
Not arguing it isn't or isn't Ravenloft for season 4, but why couldn't AL put in a blurb something like "This is a Ravenloft adventure and if you play it you cannot play any other adventures with that character except Ravenloft adventures until your character finds a way out?" Assuming AL was up front with such an idea and advertised (and instructed all DMs to make sure players knew), couldn't they change their rules?

I guess my question isn't Ravenloft specific, but more, if they did something before, are they required to do it that way in the future?
They could, but it would throw S4 out of sync with all other AL content there is. Big problem is that AL is not played in order by most people who just sit down at whatever table is offered where they're currently at. So if they do a trilogy where you escape at the end, what about people who play part 3, 1 and 2 in that order? And how many people would want to be forced to put their character on time-out for month just because they happened to play the first RL mod and the next part is only released in 3 month, while the store is running plenty of suitable S1-3 mods during that time the character has not done yet?

Closing off a season from the rest of the content like that just would not work for AL.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's possible if the do RL for ALS4 that each adventure is an independent drop-in to Ravenloft. Maybe someone whips up a portal or something. Lets you do one "weekend in hell," or several!

Mirtek

Hero
It's possible if the do RL for ALS4 that each adventure is an independent drop-in to Ravenloft. Maybe someone whips up a portal or something. Lets you do one "weekend in hell," or several!
Still not much of a "trapped" feeling when you have to fit the being snatched by the mists, orientating in your new "home", discovering and completing your mission of the week and escaping the "trap" all within 4 hours.

Not much respect for the entraping nature when you are about to do it for the 8th time

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads