• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like RAVENLOFT

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

ravenloft-strahd.jpg

In response to comments about Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman, Merwin said "You like that kind of stuff? I get misty-eyed about it myself."

Of course, none of this is conclusive. But it's hard not to think that - if not Ravenloft itself - something Ravenloft-inspired is coming with the next D&D storyline.

They went on to discuss Baldman Games' (hosts of Winter Fantasy) announcements about D&D events at the convention in February. Regarding the Epic adventure being used to launch the upcoming season, which will debut at that convention, they have the following exchange:

Shawn Merwin: ...if you're into D&D at all, or if you're into Adventurer's League specifically, you will not want to miss.

Christopher Sniezak: I hear there may be blood and stakes involved?

Shawn Merwin: It's definitely possible.

It sounds a little to me like they have discussed this subject in more detail off-air. Whatever the case, these are not the first "gothic" hints we've gotten - it's certainly Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ravenloft, as Bing Crosby once famously sang.

If you want to listen to the full podcast, click here or on Strahd up above.

Remathilis

Legend
Now you're insulting Castlevania :p

Unless you're talking about post SNES Castlevania which I know nothing about and may be horrible.

I'm a giant Castlevania fan, but its a very different feel from Ravenloft (despite similar cover art). Castlevania is basically exploring a giant "dungeon" full of stock Halloween monsters with no greater point than to destroy the vampire boss at the end. Early games have no greater plot beyond that (and later ones have more detailed, but somehow worse plots, if you can believe it). Ravenloft should be more dread, fear, subtle terrors, things like that. It shouldn't just be a Monster Mash dungeon.

That said, check out Symphony of the Night; I think you get get it on Xbox Live and PSN cheap. One of the best post-SNES games made.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The old Ravenloft material mentioned explicitly that you can escape. The lords of each domain could not escape without some kind of agreement from the dark powers or somehow sidestepping them, but PCs can escape. Of course, the material generally doesn't cite that happening because it will vary from game to game. But to say you cannot escape Ravenloft is incorrect.

Corpsetaker

First Post
In terms of domain lords, this is true. However, the AD&D 2E adventure The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga notes that she has a living wall in her hut, which she acquired during a stay in Ravenloft; that she got out makes sense, since her hut is a major artifact and canplaneshift, and the Ravenloft campaign setting notes that major artifacts can break the setting's rules.

Also, the Spelljammer adventure Crystal Spheres has a world (the Neutral Evil planet in Herospace, the name of which escapes me at the moment) named after a character who, if I recall correctly, was said to have escaped from Ravenloft.

It's worth noting that there are one or two exceptions to this; for example, Vlad Drakov can't close the borders of Falkovnia except by sending out patrols to try and apprehend emigrants.

Or perhaps the Dark Powers decided to let her leave. You can't Plane Shift in and out of Ravenloft. There are a score of Mind Flayers who are trapped in Ravenloft as well. Certain authors may have decided to have an exception here or there but having the setting just allow anyone in and out really ruins part of the identity of the setting.

If they aren't going to uphold what is a signature feature of Ravenloft then you have to ask why use it in the first place? You could actually use Greyhawk and pick and area for Goithic Horror.

Yup, that's what I am saying. Why couldn't the AL if they wanted to say "Any PC you play in these adventures cannot leave until they find a way out."?

Remathilis

Legend
These cases, well the two actually, are the only recognized cases that beings have escaped and the two being Vecna and Lord Soth. The Dark Powers are the ones who decide whether you leave or not but part of the settings theme and make up is the fact that it is a dark prison.

You're missing the subtlety there...

The Dark Powers (DM) can release anyone they want, anytime they want.

For Dark Lords, its happened twice (one willingly, with Soth, and once unwillingly in Vecna).

For non-Dark Lords, its happened infrequently. Usually, its done when the Dark Powers (DM) wishes to let them go as a reward for furthering their own ends (the DM is ready to move on). Escaping almost always requires some sort of greater quest (WBBM, FoG, HoS) or Major Artifact (Baba Yaga's Hut, The Outer Planar Catalogue) and even these have a great risk of failure. What DOESN'T work is normal "magical" means like plane shift or teleport; the PCs cannot decide when they want to leave, only the Dark Powers (DM) decides that.

As long as the AP has such an "escape clause" for completing it, then you're not breaking any rules of the setting. The big thing would be not allowing them to leave on their own power (or, if they go evil).

Corpsetaker

First Post
I am well aware of Ravenloft seeing as I own all Ravenloft material and I ran it for several years.

The only two beings that have been known to have escaped "Ravenloft" are Vecna and Lord Soth. An adventure does not cancel out the canon of the setting. If a Dark Lord of the domain does not want you to leave he has the power to control his borders. Only the Vistani can freely move through the mists and actually navigate through them.

You might want to do a bit more research yourself on the Demi Plane of Dread. You can't just appear in Ravenloft and then leave when you want. That's not how it works.

@ DM Magic: What exactly do you find funny in this post? You seem to laugh a lot at things that aren't funny but can't seem to back anything up. Not really sure what you are laughing at because I have posted facts while you have not.

Corpsetaker

First Post
You're missing the subtlety there...

The Dark Powers (DM) can release anyone they want, anytime they want.

For Dark Lords, its happened twice (one willingly, with Soth, and once unwillingly in Vecna).

For non-Dark Lords, its happened infrequently. Usually, its done when the Dark Powers (DM) wishes to let them go as a reward for furthering their own ends (the DM is ready to move on). Escaping almost always requires some sort of greater quest (WBBM, FoG, HoS) or Major Artifact (Baba Yaga's Hut, The Outer Planar Catalogue) and even these have a great risk of failure. What DOESN'T work is normal "magical" means like plane shift or teleport; the PCs cannot decide when they want to leave, only the Dark Powers (DM) decides that.

As long as the AP has such an "escape clause" for completing it, then you're not breaking any rules of the setting. The big thing would be not allowing them to leave on their own power (or, if they go evil).

But that really defeats the whole purpose of the setting. It is more than just gothic horror, the dark prison theme is just as much a part of Ravenloft as Strahd. I get what you are saying but what's the point in Ravenloft if the dark powers are just going to let them go? There are plenty of people who were not evil and were abducted and who are either still there or died of old age.

Things stop becoming special when it starts happening all the time.

Corpsetaker

First Post
There are many signature features of Ravenloft. Why are you choosing this one feature -- which isn't actually as strict as you are making it seem to be -- to decry the entire endeavour?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it is. Have you actually read the setting?

Corpsetaker

First Post
Yup, that's what I am saying. Why couldn't the AL if they wanted to say "Any PC you play in these adventures cannot leave until they find a way out."?

But the thing is you have already spoiled it by stating "when" they get out. You have already given some indication that they will leave.

Defeats the purpose of the setting.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Also, the only time escape was possible was the "Conjunction" which it is believed one could escape but that has only happened once and it was known as the "Grand Conjunction". This was a "happened only once" type of phenomena that shouldn't be used lightly.

Remove ads

Remove ads