Paizo Jessica Price (ex Paizo employee) spills the beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The weird inclusion of Phrenology in Pathfinder begins to make some sense now.
I am not at all bothered by phrenology in a role playing game about weird and occult stuff. The fact that they treat things like magic, mythology, and monster as real makes for fertile grounds for even making phrenology have real weight.

I'm much more concerned about the claim that Bulmahn sends around unsolicited dick pics.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah. It starting to look like someone is intentionally derailing at this time...

So as I was saying, what can be done to help fix this situation?
Not sure. The only thing that usually speaks is a lot of people stop supporting the Co., or the threat of a lot of people stopping their support. I think Paizo relies a lot on their subscriptions, so I think that community better situated to spearhead change. Perhaps they could start a petition request certain changes or they will cancel their subscriptions. You get enough people to sign and it might go somewhere.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am not at all bothered by phrenology in a role playing game about weird and occult stuff. The fact that they treat things like magic, mythology, and monster as real makes for fertile grounds for even making phrenology have real weight.

I'm much more concerned about the claim that Bulmahn sends around unsolicited dick pics.
The cras and the creepy are sort of a piece, though.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
OK, I'll try and shift the thread in another direction to promote discussion.

I've got a question.

Most of you are probably somewhat familiar with the recent events with Activision-Blizzard. When discussing the topic with colleagues, I hypothesized that Blizzard was one of the few company that benefited from an almost immaculate reputation. That reputation operated in two ways: 1) with the players, most people that I know would almost buy Blizzard games blindly because they knew that everyone would and that they would be incredible games, 2) with the professionals, Blizzard was a bit like the Disney of animation. When recruiting, they benefitted from the fact that people wanted to work for them.

I argued that blizzard lost #1 (or at least it deteriorated) in the last few years with several post releases, and that with the recent events and the lawsuit, they lost #2 (or at least it deteriorated it). Now I wonder how much people will not want to work at Blizzard. That's something really bad, because hiring good people is hard, and the industry at large right now has labour shortages.

If Paizo's reputation becomes seriously affected by this in the coming weeks. What effect do you think that will have on their recruiting capacity? And if they suffer from it and can't keep up the same quantity of releases, what will happen with that empty space in the TTRPG ecosystem?

darjr

I crit!

Wasn't that in the Occult Adventures book? I thought they were just leaning into the Victorian-era vibe with seances, aura reading, and other bunk pseudo-science.

Yes, that was their excuse. It is still a blatantly racist thing to bring in brand new to an RPG. Especially D&D where I don't really recall ever seeing it before. But like I said, it now makes much more sense.

Fair enough. I feel I understand your take on it a bit better but I still disagree on a number points.
I feel that one of those is the nature of the medium - Twitter invites discussion from people ranging from bozos who want to troll to well-informed enthusiasts who want to engage. Treating the latter like the former, from my perspective, is not justified. It may happen - everyone has bad days - but it's not right.
As I've said before, you don't have to agree with me. You come to one conclusion, I come to another.

I think "well-informed enthusiasts" are still, at their heart, not professionals. Given how constantly women in workplaces (particularly "nerd" industries like tech and RPG development) have their opinions questioned, doubted, and even disregarded, perhaps more care should be taken with how such things are framed. I think how @Gradine gives context to the situation, Deroir maybe should have been more careful to not only try correcting her on something she knew, but also not assigning an opinion to her that she didn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads