Justice League: So, who's seen the Snyder Cut?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Ugh. Y'know, people like different things. Can we just go back to saying what we liked or didn't like, rather than declaring ultimate truths like they're some kind of objective reality? This was completely up my alley. I loved it.
And his post is different from your post at #30 in this thread where you declare that it looked so much better and the every character felt real?

Does every opinion have to be prefaced with “in my opinion” to keep fans from insinuating that a critic is making unwanted objective declarations when they’re just stating their opinions in the same structure as fans are?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And his post is different from your post at #30 in this thread where you declare that it looked so much better and the every character felt real?

Does every opinion have to be prefaced with “in my opinion” to keep fans from insinuating that a critic is making unwanted objective declarations when they’re just stating their opinions in the same structure as fans are?
Sure. OK. You're technically correct.

It's just hard liking stuff on the internet these days. Once upon a time (man I sound old!) the internet was all people enjoying their shared interests. Now it's the exact opposite of that thing and nobody is allowed to like anything. I haven't been allowed to enjoy a shared positive conversation about stuff I like for over a decade. Here. Facebook. Twitter. Anywhere. You get shouted down everywhere.

I know. That's my problem.

Ryujin

Legend

It's just hard liking stuff on the internet these days. Once upon a time (man I sound old!) the internet was all people enjoying their shared interests. Now it's the exact opposite of that thing and nobody is allowed to like anything. I haven't been allowed to enjoy a shared positive conversation about stuff I like for over a decade. Here. Facebook. Twitter. Anywhere. You get shouted down everywhere.

Clearly your experience doesn't date back to the usenet days :ROFLMAO:

billd91

A shared interest doesn’t means you‘re always liking the same things. You can discuss likes and dislikes without taking things personally - like movies, art, games. If it’s all positive like unicorns and fluffy bunnies, it’s not a discussion - it’s an echo chamber.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A shared interest doesn’t means you‘re always liking the same things. You can discuss likes and dislikes without taking things personally - like movies, art, games. If it’s all positive like unicorns and fluffy bunnies, it’s not a discussion - it’s an echo chamber.
Thank you for the lesson, sensei.

Eric V

Hero
I don't think anyone is asking for that. At all.

OTOH, when ART! writes "Pacing designed for people with nothing else to do" and Morrus just wrote how he likes it, the conclusion is Morrus has nothing else to do. That's an unnecessary scatter shot against people who liked it.

billd91

I don't think anyone is asking for that. At all.

OTOH, when ART! writes "Pacing designed for people with nothing else to do" and Morrus just wrote how he likes it, the conclusion is Morrus has nothing else to do. That's an unnecessary scatter shot against people who liked it.
Yeah, yeah. Fans always get riled up when people criticize stuff they like. Happens all the time sound here.

But a 4-hour director’s cut could certainly be called indulgent.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus

It is the problem of many. Up to my twenties, when I would role-play with friends, or go to the occasional convention, or what have you, it was enthusiasm for fantasy, science fiction, mythology, comic books, and so forth that dominated. People had different opinions and it was fun to talk about this stuff, hear the different opinions, but enthusiasm dominated.

In forums online, it seems like the enthusiasm must be there...it is hard to imagine it being anything but the motivation that brings people to places like right here. Yet, once the conversation online gets started, so often there are wet blankets or people who want to prove they are right at the expense of others. It is a story repeated ad infinitum across the Web. It is discouraging because, like a wet blanket, it stifles my enthusiasm and desire to even participate online.

I think it is a problem intrinsic to a media where we are anonymous and not physically present with one another and able to read one another's non-verbal cues. I see this whether it is forums on music, role-playing games, or even religion where participants aspire to love and forgive each other yet their anonymous online communications with one another online can be rife with the omnipresent online impulse to have to win an argument, meanness, and sometimes name-calling.

My reaction has been to adopt, years ago, a "only participate with the positive" approach to these kinds of online forums. When someone responds with something negative, I just try to emphasize what might be positive in the post or I simply do not respond. In my non-online-hobby life I have to problem solve and work through personal relations issues, but for my online hobby I have found trying to give up the natural instinct to "win" every argument helps me. Also, realizing that if I don't have anything positive to write, I can simply not respond has helped me. But, over time, my interest in participating online has dwindled as a consequence.

Last edited:

Now it's the exact opposite of that thing and nobody is allowed to like anything.

I don't think anyone feels that you're not allowed to like this movie. We can all agree and disagree on things we like about any movie or tvshow, without implying that the other is not allowed to hold their opinion.

For example, I have been highly critical of The Mandalorian, but I've never expressed that others were not allowed to like it. In fact, I can see that there are things to like... but also to dislike. And there are people who don't have the patience for Wandavision; a show that I loved. And that's fine. I enjoy discussing our disagreements.

Likewise, I don't think I'll be watching the Snyder Cut. I wasn't interested in Justice League to begin with, since Snyder's style of filmmaking rubs me the wrong way. But even after hearing that the Snyder Cut is a large improvement over Justice League's theatrical release, that is not a very high bar to clear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases