Kate Welch is WotC's New D&D Designer

WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

amVFPaW2_400x400.jpg

[video=youtube;fRsURJf4SjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsURJf4SjQ[/video]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I was just checking up on Magic the Gathering forums this week. Apparently, Mtg is taking a serious downturn, I'm seeing a lot of talk about events failing to have enough people to participate to be held, and poor sales of recent sets. The rumor reported on the biggest (And reliable for more than a decade) Mtg rumor site is that Hasbro's prepping to sell off Wizards of the Coast.

With a big movie in production?

Well known Intellectual Property/Brands are worth a lot of money nowadays. Nostalgia is a big seller.

I think Hasbro would need a lot of money to sell WotC. Also, don't they speak highly of WotC in their stock report meetings?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I really wish this attitude of “if you don’t optimize or power game, then you suck at combat” would just die already.

Heck, some of my most memorable combat encounters were with PCs who had crappy stats.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Again as a game designer, she needs to address the powergamer needs as well as the heavy roleplayer

Why? Why focus on either of those two extremes instead of focusing on the majority of gamers who do neither?

I get the arguments of others, but I'm focused not on the "if you cater to this group, you must hate the other group and don't like their playstyle." I'm focused on the "what is going to be appealing to the majority of D&D players *and* DMs so that WotC continues to profit so they can make more quality stuff?"

Don't care about her background, prior work experience, politics, lifestyle, etc. If she can get a team to pump out quality products then obviously WotC made the right choice. If not, then she'll be gone in a year or two just like anyone else who isn't getting the job done.

WotC has been conspicuous about not vomiting out quantity for 5e (unlike every prior edition), letting DMs Guild take that role with TPP - perhaps they are building for the long-term by being choosey about picking staff who will be around in 5 years' time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mathilda

Explorer
Why? Why focus on either of those two extremes instead of focusing on the majority of gamers who do neither?

I get the arguments of others, but I'm focused not on the "if you cater to this group, you must hate the other group and don't like their playstyle." I'm focused on the "what is going to be appealing to the majority of D&D players *and* DMs so that WotC continues to profit so they can make more quality stuff?"

Don't care about her background, prior work experience, politics, lifestyle, etc. If she can get a team to pump out quality products then obviously WotC made the right choice. If not, then she'll be gone in a year or two just like anyone else who isn't getting the job done.

WotC has been conspicuous about not vomiting out quantity for 5e (unlike every prior edition), letting DMs Guild take that role with TPP - perhaps they are building for the long-term by being choosey about picking staff who will be around in 5 years' time?

My point is to capture both playstyles because everyone that is in middle does some combination of both

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My point is to capture both playstyles because everyone that is in middle does some combination of both

I reject that notion.

Are you saying that tables who engage in the Combat Pillar are engaging in powergaming? Because that isn't true.

I understand that you want D&D to cater to powergamers. I just don't understand why.

#1 - 5e is the most popular ttRPG of all time.
#2 - There are plenty of games out there to play that are more suited for powergamers.

So why should WotC alienate a big chunk of its player base and/or use up space in books that most people don't want? And why do you want them to when you could play a different game whose goals are more in line with your own?

Mathilda

Explorer
I really wish this attitude of “if you don’t optimize or power game, then you suck at combat” would just die already.

Heck, some of my most memorable combat encounters were with PCs who had crappy stats.

You really miss the point.... the point is this: People inherently do not want to suck so they will do some sort of optimization so they can also contribute to the group. I am not talking about the player who will go to the Nth degree in optimization... that is another discussion. I am not even talking about the player who thinks he/she is better than everyone and says other people suck. What I speak about is something true in all of us, in life deep down you know what you are good at and what you are not good at... if you wish to be better at something, you ask questions, you read books or go on the internet for advice... the same is true in D&D, if a player wants to be better... he/she will in some sort of fashion ultimately optimize / power-up some aspect of their game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads