Kickstarter's Director of Games on Why The Platform Attracts Lower OGL v1.1 Royalties

Jon Ritter, Kickstarter's Director of Games, clarified why creators making over $750K using the new Open Gaming Licence v1.1. will only have to pay WotC 20% royalties on revenue over that $750K instead of 25% like they do on other platforms. Kickstarter was contacted after WoTC decided to make OGL changes, so we felt the best move was to advocate for creators, which we did. Managed to get...
Jon Ritter, Kickstarter's Director of Games, clarified why creators making over $750K using the new Open Gaming Licence v1.1. will only have to pay WotC 20% royalties on revenue over that $750K instead of 25% like they do on other platforms.

Kickstarter was contacted after WoTC decided to make OGL changes, so we felt the best move was to advocate for creators, which we did. Managed to get lower % plus more being discussed. No hidden benefits / no financial kickbacks for KS. This is their license, not ours, obviously.

When asked whether he was aware that those royalties would cut out the majority of most successful Kickstarter profit margins, Ritter acknowledged this with the words "Very much aware of the numbers."

Art Waring

halozix.com
If WotC is serious about "de-authorizing" 1.0/a, then they'd likely go after Kickstarter for allowing anything. It's also likely part of their contract. We push creators to your site if, and only if you don't allow 1.0/a. Or, more simply, if WotC says the old license is null and void, Kickstarter would be on the hook for allowing any violations of WotC's copyright and IP. So either way, not likely to be any new 1.0/a Kickstarters.
that is the concern.

Tazawa

Adventurer
If WotC is serious about "de-authorizing" 1.0/a, then they'd likely go after Kickstarter for allowing anything. It's also likely part of their contract. We push creators to your site if, and only if you don't allow 1.0/a. Or, more simply, if WotC says the old license is null and void, Kickstarter would be on the hook for allowing any violations of WotC's copyright and IP. So either way, not likely to be any new 1.0/a Kickstarters.

Pretty sure this applies to OneBookshelf too. It’s much easier to get people to agree to OGL 1.1 and distribution on D&D Beyond if you block their access to alternate distribution channels.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Pretty sure this applies to OneBookshelf too. It’s much easier to get people to agree to OGL 1.1 and distribution on D&D Beyond if you block their access to alternate distribution channels.
Exactly. So it wouldn’t matter if they can’t revoke 1.0/a, they can still set their lawyers on any and all distribution channels who don’t fall in line. And that would be the state of affairs until a judge orders otherwise.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I did wonder that. Will they enforce anything?
They enforce so few of their own rules when a particular campaign goes sideways. ;-P
Kidding-not-kidding aside, I guarantee they are interested in how much enforcing WOTC will do, if indeed the OGL 1.0a is de-authorized. If they start losing all those sweet OSR campaigns, that'll certainly hurt their bottom line.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well I guess everyone who said the leaks were fake yesterday is wiping the egg off their faces right now.
Yeah, but it isn't being wrong that stings...its how wrong this all is. Crazy. Spending way to much time on these boards reading this. I think I need to just step away from it for a few weeks when things are more settled and choate and catch up on any articles EN World posts summing things up.

Lol. We did it all for the people! A beautiful outpouring of altruism! All 4 the gamers! Just sheer coincidence the percentage only went down for people who go through our site.
In fairness, it would presumptuous for Kickstarter to negotiate something for Indiegogo, for example.
Perhaps you should direct your sarcasm to other funding platforms and encourage them to negotiate.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Exactly. So it wouldn’t matter if they can’t revoke 1.0/a, they can still set their lawyers on any and all distribution channels who don’t fall in line. And that would be the state of affairs until a judge orders otherwise.
If things go that way, I hope they choke so hard on the expense that the entire company folds.

“No D&D is better than bad D&D” ain’t just true for individual campaigns or groups.

Remove ads

Remove ads