KidCthulhu's Scarred Land story hour

Morgaine

First Post
I know that I've been sorely remiss....this story hour languishes away on the third page -- thanks for the Bump, Kosh. My life has gotten unexpectedly hectic in the last few months and I don't have much free time for writing. I have enlisted the help of some of the other players to pick up the slack for me until things calm down again. I apologize for the lack of continuity. Thanks for bearing with me. I do hope to be able to post again by Monday. Keep your fingers crossed.

--M

KidCthulhu

First Post
Can he match Dranko? Yeeks I hope not. Having taken over as DM of this game, I don't think I'm ready to handle Dranko, thank you very much. That's like a someone with no child care experience having to cope with a hyperactive ten year old. Sagiro, who is far more skilled than I, can just about handle Dranko!

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
condensed summary #1

Wow! None of us have posted an update in over a month. Since I'm note taker, that's my bad. We've played quite a bit so here's the condensed version of several runs, which will take us up to the present.
*The party ends up killing dwarf number two with an impressive use of fairy fire.
*We find a map that leads us to an illusionary land made to look like an elven paradise from before the war. There are portals throughout the land that lead from one place to another (e.g., the plains to the forest, etc.) Each portal requires that you hold a particular object in your hand to pass through (e.g., a leaf to cross into the forest). Finding each portal and figuring out the trigger is a challenge.
*The first portal takes us to a bridge where a troll guard poses a riddle to each of us to get across.
*In the forest, the party dispatches (by that I mean kills) 40 goblins.
*In the castle guards attack us, and Deke is killed. We come across Gobry, still heartsick for Cosette. A dispel magic scroll brings him to his senses and saves the party from having to hear any more poetry. He is now outraged and vows to help the party defeat Cosette.
*From the castle they each step out of a window with a feather and end up on a cloud. There is a long pathway leading to another castle, all in the air. As they cross the path, a huge white creature rises up from the cloud and begins to talk to them. It¡¦s a dragon, although they don¡¦t know that because none of them have seen, or even heard of, dragons. Marja recognizes the creature, though. It¡¦s just like the monsters in her nightmares that fly at her and push her off a cliff. The evil creatures that have been haunting her sleep for 20 years. She is reduces to hysterical sobbing in it¡¦s presence as it sniffs at her closely and talks about smelling the blood in her. Borin steps up and yells at the dragon to stop scaring her. The dragon is amused. Although the dragon cannot help the party fight Cosette due to a pact, he gives Morgaine a magical staff to use against her. Morgaine is pretty excited about it even though she has to give it back.
*A battle ensues, and by the end they have Cosette on her knees. In what he hopes will be the coup-de-gras, Borin bull-rushes her and knocks her off of the cloud. They hear her fall, but not hit the ground. Marja returns the staff to the dragon. He is disappointed and unconvinced that the fall finished her off. He and Marja have a long conversation, but as soon as the dragon disappears into the clouds, Marja finds that the memory of what they talks about also becomes cloudy. She is left with the feeling of being less afraid than before.
*The company travels through the next portal into a flooded tunnel. Oddly, they can all breath although Morgaine¡¦s cat is quite unhappy. They realize that Cosette is not dead, and worse, she¡¦s regenerating. They miss her, but discover what she¡¦s been up to. She and her fellow Mormo worshippers have been collecting the body parts of the Titan (which were flung to the far reaches of the earth when he was destroyed). If they can gather enough of the pieces and perform the right ritual, they can bring him back to life. Gemma is frozen with fear of the thought of it and memories of the old war.

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
*The group returns Gobry to his dad who is overjoyed. They take the body of Deke to the Temple of Denev. He is brought back to life, but not as an elf. He is brought back as the creature that most closely resembles his true nature: He is a filcher (a lemur-type creature). He can talk and has all of Deke's memories. Marja immediately sees the potential for a fake ventriloquist act if only she can get Deke to wear a red fez.
*The group relaxes at dinner with Marja's parents who marvel at their adventures. Her father, a bard, vows to legendize them in song. The festival of the burning man is just a few days away so the party decides to rest and have fun. Borin makes a trip to the Temple of Ankili. Ankili is the god of trickery, and Borin has been feeling like someone has been playing jokes on him. (Running in to doors and bouncing off or running in to doors and tearing the entire wall down - very Ankili-like tricks.) Borin decides if Ankili has picked him out for some reason, he'll go along with it and makes an offering at the temple.
*Of course, trouble ensues. They uncover a plot to create chaos at the festival and start a riot. They foil it, of course, but not before Borin is bitten by a werewolf, and Marja is almost killed.
*Enter our new GM, Kid C. Morgaine has a message from her grandmother. It seems that since Deke has been dead, he now has conversations with the old woman. She wants Morgaine to find her spell book! So back to Otenazu. On the way they pass through a small town. They meet up with a very interesting character, a dwarf with his long red beard neatly braided. He introduces himself as Lucre, Borin's cousin. He has a message for Borin placed in his head by magic. He doesn't know what it is, but will hang around with Borin until it comes out. In the Inn that night, a man is killed. His wife says they have recently lost there young son and the man was calling to the boy in his sleep. It appears the town is being haunted by the ghost of a young boy who is looking for his father, and inadvertently sucking the life out of people in the mean time. The party tracks down the mystery. They find the hut of an outcast woman who was living alone at the edge of the river. It appears she lived with her young son, and that she had a lover who bought her pretty dresses. Both she and the boy have been missing for several weeks. The party suspects the cleric at the temple who doesn't seem to know much about saying prayers. Marja puts on one of the woman's dresses and appears to the cleric at dusk. He is noticeably shaken. Through "persuasion" he confesses to being the woman's lover and the father of the boy, and finally to killing them both. The ghost of the boy appears, and the party lets him give his father a hug. They both disappear. The party believes with proper burial of the bodies, the town will no longer be troubled by the ghost.

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
condensed summary, the last

*The party travels to Otenazu and meets up with Thomas, their guide from before. They need to get through Ankili's mountains to the other side to follow the lead for Morgaine's grandmother's spell book. Thomas introduces them to his girlfriend, Mirabelle, who is also a guide. Marja distrusts her and doesn't want her to come along on the journey, but since Thomas seems to think her skills are especially needed on the trek, and the other party members think she's ok, Marja relents. Mirabelle is a pretty girl with sweet blue eyes and golden hair. It may just be that Marja doesn't want the competition.
The group starts out through the mountains. Mirabelle tells them that the god, Ankili, as a gift built this strange region for his mother, Denev. They trek through the windy mountain passes with a few slips and slides until they are confronted by a young man flying in the air in front of them. He calls to Mirabelle to get herself home, Ma and Pa are mad. The story comes out that Mirabelle knows this area so well because she grew up here. Her family guards these passes and receive powers from their god. The powers change them, making them evil. Mirabelle has run away, and the family wants her back. Borin steps up to defend Mirabelle and in one swoop of his great axe, he cuts her brother in two. The party knows they're in for it and starts a fast march through the mountains. They are confronted by the father who doesn't yet seem to know of his son's death. He gives them 24 hours head start to get out of there.

Last edited:

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
running from Ma and Pa

RUN! Mirabelle knows of a short cut through the canyon which may just give them the lead they need to get out in 24 hours before dad attacks. About an hour into their hike the canyon gets very narrow and really deep. They spot stairs with 3-foot risers (Ankili size) and start down. All the way the party is pressing Mirabelle for information on her dad, anything they might use against him. “Well, he likes illusion spells and summons air creatures. He’s prideful, and he has a trick knee.”

The way down these stairs is slow and steep. Occasionally, someone stumbles, but no one falls. After 4 hours of this exhausting trek, they stop to catch their breath. Deke spots 6 dark shapes in the sky. Morgaine says they don’t sound like sturges, they sound like eagles. Morgaine casts sleep, and 3 of them fall. Thomas, Deke and Gemma each take one out. So much for Pa giving them 24 hours.

They press on. Around the next bend the stairs stop and a gentle slope begins. Mirabelle detects magic, but all seems real. Around the next corner is a 50 foot gap – the path just ends. They can see a small tunnel across the gap. The party struggles to come up with an idea for how to cross, when Lucre invokes the name of Ankili. Suddenly, the path they are standing on begins to pull away from the canyon wall. Half the party slides, but no one falls. The path pivots and tilts until it meets up with the tunnel. With several “Thank you, Ankili”s they rush into the tunnel just as they see Mirabelle’s mother bellowing down the trail. She is a large blonde woman, a barbarian, with a huge battle axe.

Kel commands “fall,” and she does which gives several party members a chance to attack. Deke, Morgaine and Kalina, unaware of the battle, have headed down the tunnel. Lucre and Borin charge and strike.

Suddenly Pa appears in the sky and sends shock waves at Borin who falls flat, but grabs on. Marja hastes herself and Borin. At this point Ma moves off the path and dissolves into mist. Borin and Lucre move in again to attack the mist. Unfortunately, Lucre is relying on his heavy crossbow, but hasn’t been able to hit anything all day. Gemma sends Ma shooting backwards with a gust of wind arrow.

Kel fires a spiritual hammer at Pa, but misses. Pa starts to cast at which point Lucre fires his crossbow to try to break his concentration, but once again the shot goes wide. A dark thread escapes from Pa’s fingers and shoots to Borin’s axe. As the party watches, a cloud of billowing darknes begins to spread from the axe, engulfing them. They can see nothing. Borin covers his axe with his cloak, which puts out the darkness like covering a torch puts out the light. His axe, however, is not useless. He spots Ma, and drat! She appears to have healed herself. Morgaine appears from the tunnel and uses her cat, Taylor, to cast fly on Borin. At this point Pa disappears, and Ma runs up and over canyon wall.

Lucre jumps on Borin’s back, and they fly in pursuit.

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
a meal of stone

Meanwhile, Deke, Kalina and Morgaine have headed into the tunnel. They hear a rumbling as small rocks tumble out of the tunnel walls and form themselves into tiny people. (Like snowmen made of rocks.) One yells, “The blood is in the tunnel. Find it!” The other three set off at a run towards Mirabelle. Morgaine moves to intercept and manages to convince them not to attack. Mirabelle is a cleric of Ankili who created this place and created these creatures. Although they have an extreme hate for her family, they hold off in deference to the god they all serve.

Deke, who has lingered behind searching the tunnel, hears a rumbling. Out of the walls tumbles another rock creature, smaller than the others, but encrusted with beautiful gems. Deke is in love. Deke negotiates passage through the tunnels for the group in exchange for some of the party’s gems. It is a great test of valor for Deke to give up his treasures. They move to join Mirabelle and the others. Gem-guy notices Mirabelle’s holy symbol of Ankili. He extends a finger which has a perfect marquis diamond finger nail and scratches Mirabelle’s arm drawing blood. He licks his finger. “They have not taken you yet. If you wish to escape them, you must come with us.” He hands everyone who is there a small rock and indicates that they must swallow it. They call out of the tunnel for the rest of the party.

Borin and Lucre are out of sight. They can’t see any trace of Ma or PA. Lucre yells out, “Your boy screamed like a little girl as he fell!” He catches sight of an arm waiving. Borin feels his muscles seize up, but he fights the feeling, and before he can fall or drop Lucre, he has brushed it off. In the distance he can faintly hear Marja calling, “Borin, you have to come back. Don’t leave me.” Borin flies rapidly into a small space in between two rocks – and hits stone hard giving both Lucre and himself a jolt. Illusion! They make another search, but can find no trace of Ma or Pa so they head back to the group.

As they swallow the stones they each get a feeling of solidness curse through them. It is an odd sensation. As they watch, two stone creatures take Mirabelle and Thomas by the arms and lead them directly into the stone wall of the cave! Two more appear for Kalina and Deke. Marja and Gemma have eaten the stones, but are hesitating, waiting for the dwarves. “There isn’t much time,” Gem-guy tells them. Finally, Borin and Lucre appear. “Swallow these,” Marja commands, and without a question, they do. Then Marja’s chastisements are cut short as they are all drawn into the stone wall.

apintrix

First Post
background stories

:delurks: hello all! :/delurk:

voila the story of Kell, aka Kelly Windhill.

Born to the wealthy Windhill family of Ontenazu, Kell was sent to the temple of Corean at a young age to study. His parents think he's becoming a holy man, but he's a bit rebellious (I mean, they named him Kelly! The embarrassment!), and would rather whack things with his sword. Especially evil things. So he hung out with the guards more than at the temple, and at the first opportunity he saw-- the disappearance of cousin Gobrey-- he booked it out of Ontenazu, and is now travelling with Our Heros. Young (about 19), strong, a touch overeager and proud (although he attempts to hide this and act mature), he's your average inexperienced teen. With a big honking sword. And working on the whole "inexperienced" thingamajigger.

(I am amused that I, an unathletic atheistic girl, wound up playing a male sword-jock priest. That probably says something about my psychology, doesn't it? Oh well. It's my boat, it's floating.)
(c;

~Lizzie

Remove ads