Kill the skinny halfling!

What'll it be? Tubby beet-farmers or miniature acrobat?

Knight Templar

First Post
Hin is the name WotC gave to their halflings because halfling would imply they're half as good, and thus it's "racist". The options are fat halflings, skinny halflings, both halflings (either as two subraces or two completely different races) or neither.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
How do you like your halflings?

Anyway, like I was sayin', halfling is the fruit of the waterwarys. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, halfling-kabobs, halfling creole, halfling gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple halfling, lemon halfling, coconut halfling, pepper halfling, halfling soup, halfling stew, halfling salad, halfling and potatoes, halfling burger, halfling sandwich. That- that's about it.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I am fond of the old stout halflings, and I think they need to make a glorious reappearance.

Hairy feet. Doughty optimism. Great cooks. A little gluttonous and lazy. Gardens and pastoral villages. More Con/Wis/Cha than Dex. Though hidden when they want to be.

There's a place for the ratfink dreadlocked nomad-kender Hin of 3e/4e, but it's not as what the world knows as "halfling." It's what normal halflings refer to as "those no-good cousins from across the river, what have no respect for the ways an' means of good, decent people."

Let elves be the rogue/wizard-suited race. Let Dwarves be the fighter-suited race. Halflings should make great clerics and druids.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Ok, before we get any further on this.

The Hin have nothing to do with 3 or 4e. That they borrowed/continued the name is all well and good. But they were not created then.

The HIN was the name used for the halfilng people in "the Known World" a.k.a. Mystara goin' allll the way back 1988, to the BECM version of the game.

Ok. Now that I feel better about that, I'll take hairy feet over cornrowed square-eared flat-heads every/any day...but I don't see nor ever thought/played that that meant they had to be "fat or tubby" figures, though were often portrayed that way. I always preferred Jeff Dee's take.

But hairy feet/no shoes is more important to me than whether they're fat or skinny. (preferably "slightly pointed ears" reminiscent of elves but not as tall/high as elf ears, but I'll be good with hairy feet.)
--SD

Last edited:

tlantl

First Post
When was the last time we saw the word "Hin" in print? I've been playing for twenty years and I've never heard it.

The name hin is used in the 3.e forgotten realms campaign book pg. 17 if it helps.

as for halfings traditionally being short and fat I invite you to look up the description of the halfling in the 1e monster manual, specifically the tall fellow.

I don't like short fat halflings thank you.

Remove ads