Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Knightfall, The Talangrán Empire sounds just right for having a secret, slave-freeing organization :)
Here's more on how slavery is viewed in Bluffside and some of its neighboring states.

DM's Note: Slavery in Bluffside
It is generally known that slavery in Bluffside is illegal. Those caught selling slaves will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The enslaved are always freed and offered amnesty. The Bluffside Regulars are always hunting slavers, but the guards rarely go into the worst parts of the city — the Undercity and Sordadon. It is believed that there are slavers in Sordadon, but the groups are so well hidden and fight to the death to hide their pits.

Bluffside's view on slavery puts it at odds with many of its neighbors, especially Montresor and Talangrán to the north. The land known as Montresor is a nasty place where slavery is rampant and the lives of its people are cheap. However, its vileness pales in comparison to the evils of the Empire of Talangrán. All demihumans (dwarves, elves/half-elves, gnomes, and halflings) and goblinoids (including orcs and half-orcs) who live within the boundaries of the empire are considered slaves, even if they were born free elsewhere. The slave masters of Talangrán have been known to hunt down escaped slaves well beyond the borders of the empire. These slavewrangers ("Cazadores de Esclavos") have often entered Bluffside in disguise, and the Bluffside Regulars HATE THEM with a passion!

Relations with Novarum are better since that Imperial land is an enemy of Talangrán. However, clandestine slavery has been known to be tolerated in Novarum. As long as it isn't flaunted openly, it isn't strictly illegal.

Bluffside's best ally in the Northwest Region regarding slavery is the city-state known as Tânger, which sits on the southwestern coast south of the cities of Scopula and Barcino. It is a haven for escaped slaves and there are groups in Bluffside who work with the Tângerese to help freed slaves flee south to Tânger.

dulsi said:
(Hmm... Talangrán slave masters come here for lost slaves. Maybe Gralf made a poor choice stopping here.)
While the Cazadores de Esclavos have been known to hunt for escaped slaves in Bluffside, the city is one of safer places for escaped slaves. Tânger is safer simply because it is further away from Talangrán (and Montresor). The Cazadores de Esclavos have lost many of there agents in Bluffside in the pursuit of slaves. They are steadfast about what they perceive as a divine duty in the name of the empire. The slave hunters have been known to pursue escapees to Bard's Gate (in the north), Tânger, Sharn (to the south), through the Dragon Sands, and even as far as the regions known as the Southwest and the Center Lands. A few of the worst of them — insane fanatics — have gone beyond this but never returned.

After reading through a bit more of the Twin Crowns campaign setting that I've borrowed Novarum from, I can say that slavery in that empire is unique in that the slave trade is illegal, but the owning of slaves isn't illegal. Slavery exists in Novarum as a form of legal punishment. Novarese Magistrates use this sentence when a criminal cannot provide the proper restitution to the victim or pay the associated fine. The proceeds of the sale goes to the victim or the victim's family. Indentured servitude to the victim, instead of outright slavery, can be agreed upon by all those involved.

Purification is reserved for the worst crimes in Novarum, including slave trade (the leaders only). It is a type of death sentence that leads to spiritual resurrection. (It is unique to Novarum [and Falia], for now.)

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ok, nice. Can I change the details of the story so that it happens in Talangrán. And akos moved from searching for freedom fighters to joining them and now in Bluffside is one of the not-slaves, but still occasional target of The Cazadores? That way, the background story remains relevant, but not 'in-your-face-still-in-the-city' immediate.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Tellerian Hawke: Reminder, more information that Big Tim learned alongside the previous group of PCs.

Librairies in Bluffside
These libraries are known and open to the general populace. It wouldn't be hard for your PCs to learn about them. The other libraries aren't generally public knowledge.

Old City
Theater on the Bluff (Open)
Confirmed, Specialized (Performing Arts)
Number of Books: 70

Temple District
The Exploratory (Open)
Confirmed, Contents Vary from Month to Month
Number of Books: Anywhere from 10 to 60

Teacher's Library (Open, heavily guarded)
Confirmed, General Knowledge
Number of Books: Too many to count. :rolleyes:

New City
Bluffside Crier (Open [normally], currently closed, guarded)
Confirmed, General Knowledge
Number of Books: 85 (pre-disaster); now unknown

Undercity
Cavern Harbor (Open, if you can find it)
Confirmed, Specialized (Seafaring [primary]; Architecture and Engineering and Geography)
Number of Books: 30 to 40.

The Bard's Tale (Open)
Confirmed, Specialized (Performing Arts in Bluffside)
Number of Books: 5 to 10

Temple of the Miner (Open but you have to be a dwarf, gnome, or a miner)
Confirmed, Specialized (Mining only)
Number of Books: 15

Sordadon
Naval Academy (Open, heavily guarded)
Confirmed, Specialized (Architecture and Engineering, Geography, History, Local, Nature)
Number of Books: 100+

Old City
Dragori Embassy (Rumored)
A very new rumor that is being whispered by those visiting the Teacher's Library.
Number of Books: Unknown

Palace (Rumored)
If there is one, it likely is only available to The Five.
Number of Books: Likely 100+

Tribunal of Review and Retribution (by appointment, guarded)
Confirmed; Specialized (Law)
Number of Books: 50 to 60

Museum of Sem La Vah (Semi-Restricted, appointments take a minimum of 6 months, heavily guarded)
Confirmed, Specialized (Ancients)
Number of Books: 50 to 60

Mining District
Adamantine Security Council (Restricted, heavily guarded)
Confirmed

Miners & Burrowers Society Guildhouse (guild membership required, guarded)
Confirmed, Specialized (Dungeoneering)
Number of Books: 10

Temple District
Castle of Purification (Rumored)
An old rumor that is scoffed at.

Conflagration of Life and Succor (Restricted, heavily guarded)
Confirmed, Specialized (Religion)

Holy Sanctuary of Peace and Protection (Rumored)
No one is sure how this rumor got started.

Military District
Bluffside Regulars Barracks (must be a Bluffside Regular to have access; it is rumored that the library is always open to The Five, however)
Confirmed, Specialized (Architecture and Engineering, Geography, and Local)
Number of Books: 100

House of Flesh (Restricted, guarded)
Confirmed but rumored to be in transition to be bought out by a private citizen
Number of Books: 25

Wizard District
Obsidian Tower of the Unknown (Rumored)
Number of Books: Anywhere from 10 to 1,000

Academy of Arcane Arts (Restricted, must be an instructor, heavily guarded)
Confirmed, Contents are unknown but likely Arcana only
Number of Books: 90+

Library of the Magical and Mundane (Restricted, must be an instructor or a student, heavily guarded)
Confirmed, General Knowledge (main area), Rare Tomes (back area).
Number of Books: Unknown, likely 300+

Wizard Council (Rumored)

DM's note: Each of the specialized guildhouses is rumored to have libraries. If true, they are restricted to guildmembers only.

New City
Asylum (Rumored)
If true, the contents would likely be... disturbing.

Trader's League Guildhouse (guild membership required, guarded)
Confirmed, Specialized (Architecture and Engineering, Geography, History, Local, and Nature)
Number of Books: 75

Sordadon
Port Authority (Restricted, guarded)
Confirmed, Specialized (anything related to Seafaring)
Number of Books: Believed to be anywhere from 30 to 80

Stormrite Ship Yards (Restricted, guarded)
Confirmed, likely specialized

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ok, nice. Can I change the details of the story so that it happens in Talangrán. And akos moved from searching for freedom fighters to joining them and now in Bluffside is one of the not-slaves, but still occasional target of The Cazadores? That way, the background story remains relevant, but not 'in-your-face-still-in-the-city' immediate.
So, the idea is he was born in Talangrán or is Várad still going to be his homeland? If the former, that would change a lot of the background. Talangrán is Castilian Spanish in flavor (but twisted and evil). If he grew up there, you'd have to change all the character and place names. Let's not do that at this point.

You can still integrate The Cazadores into the story if you like, but they would be invaders in his homeland (which would be okay). The Cazadores don't care about borders.

Think of them as NE inquisitors.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The primary deities worshiped in Talangrán are as follows: Atarrabi (NG), Bhaal (LE), The Fisher King [known as El Rey Pescador] (TN), Mikelats (CE), Orcus (CE), The Snake [known as La Serpiente] (CG), and The Unmaker [known as El Deshecho] (CE), as well as archdevils and other demon lords. This group of gods doesn't constitute a true pantheon. The Emperor of All ("El Emperador de Todos") is the true state religion.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
So, the idea is he was born in Talangrán or is Várad still going to be his homeland? If the former, that would change a lot of the background. Talangrán is Castilian Spanish in flavor (but twisted and evil). If he grew up there, you'd have to change all the character and place names. Let's not do that at this point.

You can still integrate The Cazadores into the story if you like, but they would be invaders in his homeland (which would be okay). The Cazadores don't care about borders.

Think of them as NE inquisitors.

Everything stays the same except after his clan was raided he was brought to his uncle (thus avoiding slavery) and trained to serve as a spy. Except the life took him...this probably affects location names (monastery in particular), but the rest remains unchanged.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
So, how are everyone's PCs coming along? Who needs more time? And how much?

I'd like to get going by Thursday or Friday of this week.

I'm hoping to finish my character today, otherwise it may take me some more time. I'll be on holiday starting Thursday, which means I'll post as often as I can but making a character on a phone is less than optimal...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
QUESTIONS:
Do you have objection to trading a familiar for a feat (a flaw that I often request), that is, Practiced Spellcaster)?
I never make players use that class feature, if they'd prefer to swap it for something else. As long as you realize you won't be able to get a familiar later on, I'm okay with it.

Aust Thale said:
Also want to trade Trap Sense +1 (3rd level Rogue) for Penetrating Strike (Dungeonscape p. 13 top of page right side (ACF)) Is that allowed?

Alternative Class Feature:
Penetrating Strike
Level: 3rd.
Replaces: If you select this alternative class feature, you do not gain trap sense.
Benefit: Whenever you flank a creature that is immune to extra damage from sneak attacks, you still deal extra damage equal to half your normal sneak attack dice. This benefit does not apply against creatures that cannot be flanked, nor against foes that are otherwise denied their Dexterity bonus to AC or flat-footed but not flanked.
You've picked one of the few v.3.5 books I don't own anymore. I got rid of that one like I did Libris Mortis. Regardless, it is also listed online here, as part of of the Lightbringer Rogue variant, so I'll let you use that version. (It seems like its the same ACF.) Just link to the Lightbringer class page so I can refer to it.

Last edited:

Remove ads