Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Aust Thale

Adventurer
I figured it was something like that. No worries. Real life always comes first. Tell him not to worry if he's super busy.

I appreciate the patience. Character pdf attached to the other thread (Ancient Lands of Kanpur). No security to it. If you have concerns or need to have me change something, let me know.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I appreciate the patience. Character pdf attached to the other thread (Ancient Lands of Kanpur). No security to it. If you have concerns or need to have me change something, let me know.
You might want to swap out Eldred for another regional or racial language. The Eldred tongue is for a group of elves that aren't well known in the Bluffside Region; they're almost a legend to Bluffsiders. Sprache is also a less-known and spoken language in Bluffside, but it's still a good choice for the region. The Old Tongue is a mysterious, pictograph language that almost no one speaks anymore; it is primarily a written language for archaeologists, scholars, and soothsayers. If it gets around that Falen can actually speak it, people will come looking for him, and they won't all be friendly. :unsure:

FYI, Falen not knowing Cliffspeak might be a barrier to quick conversations with your fellow heroes (and some of the locals). However, Relgar knows Aegean, so he'd be more than happy to converse in that language; he'd probably prefer it. Loremaster Akos speaks Ticin, so you will be able to have interesting logistical debates with him. Big Tim knows Draconic, Elvish and Orc, so he and Falen will be able to converse in those languages. Tuck speaks Draconic, so your PCs will converse in that language. I'm not sure which languages @Scott DeWar has chosen, but I think he'll probably choose something your PC speaks.

I like that your PC has a lot of languages! :cool:

However, the NPC named Custodio only speaks Cliffspeak and Celestial, so he won't know what you're saying, which is fine. It could add an interesting language dynamic. Plus, if your PCs want to exclude him from knowing something, you can simply talk in languages he doesn't know.

If you guys want to do this, put it in a Spoiler tag, so I remember that Custodio is not supposed to know what you're saying; I'll likely still need to know. :D

While Ticin is more than fine as your primary regional language, not everyone in Bluffside speaks it; more often people can read it. However, the high-ranking people in Bluffside and the scholars and wizards of the city will be able to converse with you no problem. (Most of them will probably prefer speaking in Ticin and think your PC 'quite a learned fellow'. [Loremaster Akos too.]) Most of the lower class in the city speak Cliffspeak in day-to-day conversation, but if your PC is looking for information or deals in the city, Falen will find someone to deal with who speaks one of the languages he knows, especially the racial languages.

Orc is quite a common language among the lower classes, period. Speaking to elves in Elvish, for sure, will make them like you more. Dwarves care less about such things, as long as you don't talk to them in Goblin; they will consider that an insult and your PC will know that will be the reaction you'll get. (It's a good way to start a fight with them.) The gnomes will like that you've learned their language, but won't care if you talk to them in any of the other languages you know (especially the steam gnomes). And knowing Dragori is an excellent campaign choice, in case the PCs need to deal with the Dragori Embassy (or a certain dragori druid in the Gardens).

It all leads to interesting role-playing opportunities, if done right. I'm looking forward to it. :)

p.s. I really like the details on contacts and enemies you provided. That's a nice touch.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
You might want to swap out Eldred for another regional or racial language. The Eldred tongue is for a group of elves that aren't well known in the Bluffside Region; they're almost a legend to Bluffsiders. Sprache is also a less-known and spoken language in Bluffside, but it's still a good choice for the region. The Old Tongue is a mysterious, pictograph language that almost no one speaks anymore; it is primarily a written language for archaeologists, scholars, and soothsayers. If it gets around that Falen can actually speak it, people will come looking for him, and they won't all be friendly. :unsure:

FYI, Falen not knowing Cliffspeak might be a barrier to quick conversations with your fellow heroes (and some of the locals). However, Relgar knows Aegean, so he'd be more than happy to converse in that language; he'd probably prefer it. Loremaster Akos speaks Ticin, so you will be able to have interesting logistical debates with him. Big Tim knows Draconic, Elvish and Orc, so he and Falen will be able to converse in those languages. Tuck speaks Draconic, so your PCs will converse in that language. I'm not sure which languages @Scott DeWar has chosen, but I think he'll probably choose something your PC speaks.

I like that your PC has a lot of languages! :cool:

However, the NPC named Custodio only speaks Cliffspeak and Celestial, so he won't know what you're saying, which is fine. It could add an interesting language dynamic. Plus, if your PCs want to exclude him from knowing something, you can simply talk in languages he doesn't know.

If you guys want to do this, put it in a Spoiler tag, so I remember that Custodio is not supposed to know what you're saying; I'll likely still need to know. :D

While Ticin is more than fine as your primary regional language, not everyone in Bluffside speaks it; more often people can read it. However, the high-ranking people in Bluffside and the scholars and wizards of the city will be able to converse with you no problem. (Most of them will probably prefer speaking in Ticin and think your PC 'quite a learned fellow'. [Loremaster Akos too.]) Most of the lower class in the city speak Cliffspeak in day-to-day conversation, but if your PC is looking for information or deals in the city, Falen will find someone to deal with who speaks one of the languages he knows, especially the racial languages.

Orc is quite a common language among the lower classes, period. Speaking to elves in Elvish, for sure, will make them like you more. Dwarves care less about such things, as long as you don't talk to them in Goblin; they will consider that an insult and your PC will know that will be the reaction you'll get. (It's a good way to start a fight with them.) The gnomes will like that you've learned their language, but won't care if you talk to them in any of the other languages you know (especially the steam gnomes). And knowing Dragori is an excellent campaign choice, in case the PCs need to deal with the Dragori Embassy (or a certain dragori druid in the Gardens).

It all leads to interesting role-playing opportunities, if done right. I'm looking forward to it. :)

p.s. I really like the details on contacts and enemies you provided. That's a nice touch.

Thanks for compliment. I have a loose backstory complete with magical gaps in memory for the protection of his friends and contacts. The languages thing I’ve wanted in a character for awhile. First real chance to use a feat to do it.
I’ll modify languages some to include Cliffspeak and drop Eldred, but my thoughts on him is that he’s always working on languages and can speak or write a smattering of words in similar alphabets much the way Portuguese and Spanish are similar. His background is immersion in languages. Those contacts cultivated his knack for it. And the Old Tongue, etc. was taught to him specifically because he was half-hobgoblin (who would guess that he knows it?) and former slave as a compliment to scripts and magic. He finds Tanger much to his liking precisely because he can hear any number of languages, especially among the pirates and smugglers who he watches and listens for information or the aristocrats who think he’s a half-breed blue collar dude. He uses the information to his advantage either economically (he isn’t particularly more skilled at commerce; he is simply able to put a wider range of people together because he can communicate with them) or courtesy of a job (he finds people and things or acts as a courier or covert translator). Plenty of people know he can speak a little of this and more of that. But nobody except his mentor and perhaps a friend or two knows about the Old Tongue. And the fact that he picks up proficiency in a language every level would be the only indication to anybody that he does.
As to his alignment, he’s not Neutral out of a particular ideological proclivity. He is because to put one foot in front of the other each day, he has to be. As long as he and his are protected, he forms no moral attachment to the law or lack of. As to good and evil, that’s often a matter of political (lower and upper case “P”) perspective, and that’s often the result of need or want. Probably more info than you want. The two mentors cover his classes and no small degree of why he behaves the way he does.

Attachments

• DnD_3.5_Falen Aust Thale (Bluffside Campaign).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Tellerian Hawke, here's the folded up map that was in the bag.

Terger's map for Tim.jpg

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
A wizard walks into a bar. takes 1 hp and dies.
how many wizards does it take to change a torch?
it won't matter, the thief stole it already.

I will have something after work today.

Remove ads