• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E L&L November 4th Warlock Design

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Yep. When you want to undermine something, you compare it to Twilight. The comparison really has no meaning, but it assigns the connotation that follows the franchise with a number of people. It's the fallback for people with no real intelligent point to make who just want to say something.

...cute...not subtle, but adorable...anyway, yeah, the Warlock is a gimmicky class that became popular, for some reason, and yes, often the sorts of people that like Twilight, Wicked, Nine Inch Nails, and what-have-you (not that there is anything at all wrong with those things).

I wish the 3rd Ed Binder and Incarnate were as popular.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Popularity ain't a bad thing, necessarily. The only slightly minor tetch I have with the warlock is that it is so inextricably separate from the wizard, which was the class that handled this archetype before warlocks. But wizards are kind of their own thing in D&D (pyromaniac librarians!), and I'm generally fond of really flavorful classes (even if NEXT can't embrace that to the degree I'd prefer).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, I had my newer players look at me funny when they met the evil wizard who had a fiendish pact for power.

I wish the 3rd Ed Binder and Incarnate were as popular.
The Binder thematically was absorbed into the Warlock with the Vestige pacts, mechanically I'd say it was too much of a departure to carry on editions, even if it was a "pick your set of abilities" every day concept. Incarnate and Incarnum in general suffered from not only being too mechanically different from anything else, but flavour wise just too different, too niche and a type of concept that no one really asked for. It was certainly a unique concept, but it didn't even have the staying power of Binders (which made it to another edition), or even Shadowcasters (Nethermancer Wizards) or Truenamers (Invokers).

I also suspect the anime-inspired appearance of one of the sample iconic characters (the Soulborn?) may have turned a lot away from it rather than successfully selling the concept.

Remove ads