D&D 5E L&L November 4th Warlock Design

Warlock was the break out hit of 3.5

It was the only splatbook base class I actually liked, and the only one I approve of adding to the PHB.

However, I'm not really too keen on the inherent connection to a pact that 4e made. I don't mind it as an option, but I just don't really want to have to put as much (or more!) patron-dependence on a warlock as on a cleric.

I mean, in some official settings clerics haven't even needed deities. If they can access magic just by belief and meditation, I see no reason why a warlock can't wrest arcane power from the cosmos without making an actual bargain with anyone.

Infused with arcane power = required. Agreement with an entity = optional.

I mean, in some official settings clerics haven't even needed deities. If they can access magic just by belief and meditation, I see no reason why a warlock can't wrest arcane power from the cosmos without making an actual bargain with anyone.

Infused with arcane power = required. Agreement with an entity = optional.

The main thing about Warlocks is they get magic from some dodgy or unpleasant sources. A patron they have a pact with would generally be an unpleasant source, but I'd guess they could conceivably get power from something they killed/stole power from, or maybe something like a parasite, infection or curse (of awesomeness).

The main thing about Warlocks is they get magic from some dodgy or unpleasant sources. A patron they have a pact with would generally be an unpleasant source, but I'd guess they could conceivably get power from something they killed/stole power from, or maybe something like a parasite, infection or curse (of awesomeness).

Exactly. Options to allow different dynamics for character concepts.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Warlocks are the best thing that ever happened to 3.5.

Did you throw a gigantic toy out of your pram as you said that, the visual I got was hilarious.

I don't think it's a bad class, in either edition, I DMed my buddy's 4th Ed warlock for 2 years, I just personally find it a bit...hmm, trying to find a word that doesn't get people in a hump, just personal, I much prefer the Incarnate and Binder, I also dig the Spirit Shaman and the Tome of Battle classes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I liked the idea of the Warlock, and appreciated them adding it in 3.5Ed...but I didn't like its execution. However, its among my faves if not outright #1 of the 4Ed classes, largely because of how they fleshed it out- IOW, more than one kind of Pact with which to make he's bargain.

So it will be n of the first classes I'll look at in 5th.

Remove ads