D&D 5E L&L November 4th Warlock Design

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nine Inch Nails are trendy? I'd hesitate to call a band on a comeback tour trendy.

And he called a Broadway musical "trendy". Which is just bizarre, as most of the population of the United States doesn't even have access to that musical. It's probably been seen by less than 2% of the population, and that over a decade period of time. Which for a Broadway musical is wildly successful...but for popular trends, it's not even a blip on the radar. He'd have done better to mention Skylander and Infinity (which are actual trends).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
And he called a Broadway musical "trendy". Which is just bizarre, as most of the population of the United States doesn't even have access to that musical. It's probably been seen by less than 2% of the population. Which for a Broadway musical is wildly successful...but for popular trends, it's not even a blip on the radar. He'd have done better to mention Skylander and Infinity (which are actual trends).
I can see the conflation of Twilight and Wicked, which had their heights of popularity with teenage girls for the most part, albeit several years apart. And I don't think teenage girls were playing 3.5 warlocks en masse. But NIN? They were popular in the mid 90s!

Honestly, I'm still confused as to how pointing out an incongruity in a pop culture reference somehow became an indictment of my character, but asking for explanations is fruitless with WR. I've tried on other topics. I probably shouldn't have taken him off my IL when I saw him respond to one of my posts, but morbid curiousity got the better of my good judgment.

Mistwell

I can see the conflation of Twilight and Wicked, which had their heights of popularity with teenage girls for the most part, albeit several years apart. And I don't think teenage girls were playing 3.5 warlocks en masse. But NIN? They were popular in the mid 90s!

Honestly, I'm still confused as to how pointing out an incongruity in a pop culture reference somehow became an indictment of my character, but asking for explanations is fruitless with WR. I've tried on other topics. I probably shouldn't have taken him off my IL when I saw him respond to one of my posts, but morbid curiousity got the better of my good judgment.

Ah I just realized with your comment he meant the Wicked book, not movie. Given my wife was reading that at age 39, teenage girls simply never came to mind. Was the Wicked book popular with teens? Not that it maters, because as you say, the whole line of thinking is odd even if it were an accurate description.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ah I just realized with your comment he meant the Wicked book, not movie. Given my wife was reading that at age 39, teenage girls simply never came to mind. Was the Wicked book popular with teens? Not that it maters, because as you say, the whole line of thinking is odd even if it were an accurate description.
Oh, I assumed he meant the musical. Every couple years, there's a musical which seems to resonate more with the drama-music teen crowd. Wicked was one, Rent, Les Miz are three I can think of that were quite popular.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned

"...don't be bitter, Chapman..."

Mistwell

Now that is cool, I could see that in an Al-Qadim campaign.

I am thinking he got his power as the "prize" for solving a riddle, and fears someone else will solve the riddle again some day, losing his power to the new winner. He doesn't know where the Sphinx was sent next, so travels the world looking for it. And when someone attempts to solve the riddle and fails, they are slain and the Sphinx appears in a new location. So I can see finding the sphinx again, only to lose it's location as someone else fails before he arrives.

I have one: Because that's what a Wizard is.

How would you feel about the sorts of warlocks Kamikaze_Midget describes here?

So someone who bound devils in chains would cast charm spells and fire spells and also summon a devil army. Meanwhile, someone who learned arcane lore from the forbidden books of devils would cast charm spells and fire spells and maybe gets EXTRA spells. And someone who gained a blade of Baatorian green steel from the devils would cast charm spells and fire spells and also have some semi-magical melee fighting maneuvers that take advantage of the cursed steel in his red right hand.

On the other side, there's a warlock who wheels and deals with the faerie folk, perhaps binding pixies in cages of cold iron for his later use. He uses spells of illusion and charm and calls upon these captive sprites when he needs to. Another one just stole a book of magic from the Summer King. A lot of illusion and charm again, and now, EVEN MORE. Then there's the one who wields a rapier made out of the tears of autumn leaves -- illusion and charm and a few melee flourishes, too.

None of those great examples required ever making a pact with any specific being.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
How would you feel about the sorts of warlocks Kamikaze_Midget describes here?
Hmm, let's see.
there's a warlock who wheels and deals with the faerie folk, perhaps binding pixies in cages of cold iron for his later use. He uses spells of illusion and charm and calls upon these captive sprites when he needs to.
Sounds like a fey pact warlock (actually reminds me of the flavor from the playtest warlock: "No, I'll tell you what the rules are, Baalzebul!").
So someone who bound devils in chains would cast charm spells and fire spells and also summon a devil army.
Sounds like classic Wizard (conjurer/summoner) stuff. Unless you mean he gets these powers from the devils (in which case, how is that not a pact?).
Meanwhile, someone who learned arcane lore from the forbidden books of devils would cast charm spells and fire spells and maybe gets EXTRA spells. / Another one just stole a book of magic from the Summer King.
Someone who learned how to use arcane magic by reading books? Sounds like a Wizard.
And someone who gained a blade of Baatorian green steel from the devils would cast charm spells and fire spells and also have some semi-magical melee fighting maneuvers that take advantage of the cursed steel in his red right hand. / Then there's the one who wields a rapier made out of the tears of autumn leaves -- illusion and charm and a few melee flourishes, too.
I don't know if I'd even call that a class. Sounds like some dude who found a cool magic item. If the item infused the character with innate magical powers, I'd say that's a type of sorcerer. If the character learned to cast spells by studying the item, that sounds like a type of wizard. Or if it's more of a back-and-forth between the dude and the item, that sounds like a pact the warlock is making with the item.

Remove ads