• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

light of lunia Abuse?

sheadunne

Explorer
Thanks for the response... so youve used it in play this way... is this a hosue rule or do you figure it is covered by the rules? I ask because the spell actaully says in the spell description that you can fire the second ray on the same round you fire the first... hence my questions...

I believe it's covered by the rules. 3.5 is a permissive system. Other spells that allow you to "discharge" them as a swift, immediate, or free action indicate such in the text of the spell. If it's missing, you're usually required to take the action appropriate to discharge them, such as taking an attack action or standard action. It doesn't matter if the spell allows you to cast one ray or fifty rays during the attack action.

N'raac

First Post
First, you have to wait a turn after casting before discharging. During its duration, you are a beacon in the night.

I'd say that "A standard action allows you to do something, most commonly make an attack or cast a spell." means that making the ranged attack with the rays of the Lights of Lunia spell is a standard action. The spell description does not provide that it is not an attack, nor that it can be performed without the usual standard action. "Produce Flame" doesn't say how long the attack takes either, and I'd impose the same standard action.

Can you discharge multiple castings at the same time? Each casting is a separate spell, so I'd be inclined to rule that you can only discharge one spell, not multiple castings of the same spell, in a single standard action, so that caps the caster at 2 rays per round. I don't see anything to prevent casting the spell multiple times (they would overlap and you'd keep 30' of light until all castings are at least partially discharged). However, I would not object to a ruling that limits the caster to a single casting in effect at one time (that's all the light from Lunia that a mortal may have at any one time), or that each subsequent casting overrides the previous one.

There's a matter of interpretation, but I think "you can cast this six times and then discharge 12 rays in a single round" is stretching the rules, not operating within them.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I guess my question is this: no matter logic, no matter other spells, no matter intent, no matter bad wording, does this spell allow for abuse as per RAW?

Regardless of duration wording, Unless a spell says otherwise, you cannot have multiple castings of the same spell upon the same character at the same time.

You may, by the wording of the spell, discharge 2 beams at the same time. You cannot abuse this spell to cast more than 2 beams.

Belzbet

First Post
Regardless of duration wording, Unless a spell says otherwise, you cannot have multiple castings of the same spell upon the same character at the same time.

light of lunia is not a personal spell (it is not even a touch or a target, area spell; the secondary effect is a ray but the spell itself does not target a creature it creates a ball of light). So it is not cast on a character. You CAN have two "light "spells active at the same time, with the same reasoning you can have two "light of lunia" spells active at the same time.

REWRITE: Light of lunia does have a target of "you" so RUMBLETiGER's point may still stand. You do cast the light of lunia on yourself and it follows you around... So, it may be covered by the rules that you cannot benefit from two like effects, even if the are active at the same time.

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
Well, let's see...

SRD said:
Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths
In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

Same Effect with Differing Results
The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

It doesn't say two or more castings of the same spell can't be on the same target at the same time. There are no differing results (unless one counts the variation if one ray has been fired). However, "only the best one applies". Applying this to Light of Lunia, I would say that, so long as there is at least one casting on the caster which still has both rays available, he sheds light in a 30' radius (plus 30' dim light) as one of the full castings moves to the fore. Since that is the only casting which currently applies, you could fire one or both rays from that casting, but none of the others apply so none of their rays can be fired.

If you fire one ray from the active casting, and still have one or more castings with two rays, one of those castings moves to the fore. If you fire both rays, a two ray casting moves to the fore, unless there are none left, in which case a one ray casting moves up.

This assumes we measure "best" based on the light shed and rays available. Now, if there are multiple two (or one) ray castings to choose from, which one comes up? Is one "best"? The only difference between the remaining spells is duration - is the longest remaining duration "best"? I'd prefer to have the shortest, but I could see an argument that "best" means the one with the longest duration remaining, since that's the one with the most spell power left.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Hm... by the above rules, it appears it may be possible to have more than one casting upon an individual at the same time, however only one would be active at the time.

If this is the case, you could use one application of the spell until it is discharged, than in a following round, continue using the other casting.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
There is potential for abuse there...if the DM is an unthinking automaton applying rules without regards to their effects.

Assuming a competent DM who can read the intent of the spell, there's very little potential for abuse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads