• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Limiting Short Rests to 2x/day

Should Short Rests be artificially limited to 2x/day, potentially allowing for shorter rests?

• Yes, Short Rests should still be 1-hour, but limited to 2x/day.

• Yes, Short Rests should be 5-15 minutes and limited to 2x/day.

• No, Short Rests should still be 1-hour and taken as often as time and circumstances allow.

• No, Short Rests should be 5-15 minutes and taken as often as time and circumstances allow.

• Other, (I'll explain in the comments.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
If your party doesn't want to short rest because they're too long, you get a whopping 2 spell slots for the whole day for most of the campaign (until level 11).

2 spells slot for a whole day.

At level 10.

At that level, there are almost no combat option spells you get from invocations that don't use those non-existent slots. You're effectively arguing that the warlock works great if he can recover his spell slots, which is my whole point.

You are defending terrible design with a hypothetical that is not credible and the fact that you didn't even try to explain that "if" says a lot about it.

There is very little reason for any 5e player to ever say no when the monk warlock and fighter say "letstTakeAShortRest" no matter how often they say it and the rest rules almost guarantees a successful rest as long as they repeat themselves after an interruption. IME the party will say reflexively"ok" then refuse to move for anything short of Cthulhu in power armor almost 100% of the time.

Horwath

Legend
You are defending terrible design with a hypothetical that is not credible and the fact that you didn't even try to explain that "if" says a lot about it.

There is very little reason for any 5e player to ever say no when the monk warlock and fighter say "letstTakeAShortRest" no matter how often they say it and the rest rules almost guarantees a successful rest as long as they repeat themselves after an interruption. IME the party will say reflexively"ok" then refuse to move for anything short of Cthulhu in power armor almost 100% of the time.
This,

also when there is time for 1hr "short" rest, usually is time for a long rest also.
and that again works against classes that are more based on short rest.

There is very little reason for any 5e player to ever say no when the monk warlock and fighter say "letstTakeAShortRest" no matter how often they say it and the
It's ironic that you're arguing against a "not credible" hypothetical with a not credible hypothetical where everyone agrees to short rest all of the time. I've seen a party full of long rest players overrule the fighter or the warlock many, many, many times in the past 10 years. At a real table in real life, wizards and clerics who've spent very little short rest abilities are often very willing to say "let's just keep going" if their dailies are still there.
rest rules almost guarantees a successful rest as long as they repeat themselves after an interruption.
If everyone gets a long rest every time you could get a short rest, that just shows how busted 1 hour rests are. That just hurts the short rest class more. Time for a change.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It's ironic that you're arguing against a "not credible" hypothetical with a not credible hypothetical where everyone agrees to short rest all of the time. I've seen a party full of long rest players overrule the fighter or the warlock many, many, many times in the past 10 years. At a real table in real life, wizards and clerics who've spent very little short rest abilities are often very willing to say "let's just keep going" if their dailies are still there.

If everyone gets a long rest every time you could get a short rest, that just shows how busted 1 hour rests are. That just hurts the short rest class more. Time for a change.

cards GIF

The only "ironic" part of this exchange is you not noticing that your game of three card monte has changed the scenario from an assumed possibility of "your party doesn't want to short rest because they're too long" into the entirely different scenario of "a party full of long rest players overrule the fighter or the warlock"... That new scenario is credible, but the reasons aren't ones that bode well for the parasite of SR class design being bolted onto a non-ADEU game & unlike SR spamming by SR classes there are a lot of reasons LR spamming is not encouraged by the system or shielded by the social contract. I'd include monk in with that fighter & warlock, despite being harder to quantify what they get from a SR they grow to be just as inverted given enough SR as their pool grows beyond what they could realistically burn in 1-2 fights.

All of that ties into a point raised by Horwath though so keep reading.

Sometimes sarcasm can be subtle & tough to tell from a serious statement with no sarcasm & I'm not sure if this is agreement for emphasis or sarcastically pushing for a similar explanation of the two statements that follow. Either way I'll try to cover it because it's relevant to the new scenario presented by NaturalZero.
also when there is time for 1hr "short" rest, usually is time for a long rest also.

and that again works against classes that are more based on short rest.

It's completely true that there is usually tine for a LR if there is time for a 1hr SR, both of those are a problem caused by bad design in 5e's rest & recovery rules that makes them both too easy to start/successfully complete & so massive in their returns that it's almost impossible to feel the risks are too high. When comparing a mostly SR class party (as I did in the quoted post 91) to NaturalZero's post93 new scenario of a mostly LR party there are factors that encourage one side of the example to spam their rests while being shielded by mechanics & the social contract even as they move into doing it abusively. Going the other way around is not in any way encouraged by the mechanics and is absolutely discouraged by both the social contract & the mechanics.

The post91 SR heavy class group is the easiest to cover & also 91 comes before 93 so I'll start with them. SR classes begin the game needing lots of SR to keep up & what they get back on those rests is not something the LR classes in post93 really considers to be equal or greater to the sum total of their A+ & S tier abilities. Having a big pile of A/A-/B+ abilities doesn't disrupt the game too much so those SR classes get powerful abilities like Agonizing repelling blast various build relevant invocations & the new bladelock thing to bridge the gap in a unique way that allows both sides to credibly claim they can do their thing better. As levels grow though the SR gains strength on both sides of the SR pool (size & the power of what it gives) as well as the strength of those gap bridging abilities until any one of the three can mostly bridge the gap on its own given a SR or two. That trend continues until things are completely reversed & every SR just further widens the reversed gap.

Everyone comes to d&d hoping to have fun rather than suspecting their fellow players (often friends) of abusing them so when the SR classes say "lets take a short rest" the minority of LR classes will generally just shrug & go along with it with a reflexive "sure" because the SR classes do need at least some SRs. As the gap narrows & the SR classes should be leaning more on their gap bridging abilities in order to take less SRs it's difficult for the LR class players to realize "bob's abusing the mechanics and it's hurting my fun" but they are in the minority so get dragged along with it. If the LR classes try to resist yet another letstTakeAShortRest they might be able to resist & urge for the group to push on a bit, but they can't dig in without donning the unsavory mantle of villain of the table. THe SR classes in that post91 scenario never get checked & can keep expecting to be guaranteed the SR they now "need" to keep up with the LR players who were more conservative in their resource burn so the SR class players actually wind up leaning even more heavily on their SR abilities rather than making efforts towards shifting focus to leaning more heavily on their powerful gab bridging at will abilities so they truly "need" a SR because of their combined ability to force a cool kids club exclusive 5mwd on the table as a SR class majority party.

NaturalZero's post93 scenario inverts the majority & now the group is majority LR classes with a minority of SR classes instead of being the other way around. The narrowing & eventual inversion of the gap between SR based encounter powers & LR class LR resource pools but this time the LR classes have the majority and can carry the group if the SR classes are forced to rely on their at will abilities for a fight or two & can just say no when letstTakeAShortRest calls become abusive. The LR majority can also resist and say no when the letstTakeAShortRest call is being made because they feel the SR classes were being pretty excessive dumping all those fireballs & flurry/stunning strikes on that handful of geriatric zombies just because the SR classes could.

Unlike the post91 majority SR group the post 93 majority LR group has both mechanical and social reasons to avoid abusively spamming LR like the SR majority spams SRs. Mechanically there is nothing to justify needing all of those rests just because they used their biggest baddest smite spellslot or whatever & more importantly after tier1 or so they can't realistically burn so many resources in a fight or two that they are forced to rely on cantrips & default attack. On the social front the majority LR group is still discouraged from forcing a 5mwd with extreme LR spam simply because they still need to look across the table at their SR class playing friend(s) while sitting on the LR granted embarrassment of riches they can't even spend. While it might be hard for the post91 LR minority to cross the line & start suspecting their fellow players of abusively taking excessive SRs because they still have some spell slots & such... the minority SR class players in the post93 majority LR class group have a much easier time noticing the embarrassment of riches and credibly pointing at it to cry foul.

Perhaps the warlock is being overruled because they are very much attempting to engage in a rest schedule or playstyle deserving of a unanimous YTA and need to do some introspection into the reasons for earning it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
cards GIF

The only "ironic" part of this exchange is you not noticing that your game of three card monte has changed the scenario from an assumed possibility of "your party doesn't want to short rest because they're too long" into the entirely different scenario of "a party full of long rest players overrule the fighter or the warlock"...
I think you're missing that they're postulating that the fighter and monk are being overruled because the short rest is too long.

The short rest classes want to have their class features actually work, but the long rest classes don't want to waste an hour on something they get nothing for.
This is true. And there are three primary paths to fix it. Focus on Short Rest recharges exclusively, Focus on Long Rest recharges exclusively, or make sure every class has decent reasons to look forward to both Short Rests and Long Rests.
I say go with the 3rd option.

aco175

Legend
I saw the playtest 7 video where the Wizard's Guy was talking about all classes getting some sort of SR power. I think it was in with the barbarian section of the video. Not sure if this means that 5e 2024 will change things, but I do not think they will.

I am ok with short rests being 5-15 minutes but limited to 2 times per day. I can see number prof/day as well thinking that as you gain power, you also gain responsibility to deal with it better. I would also be ok with doing away with warlock to solve many of the problems people are bringing up as well.

I could also see a place where healing was different than gaining powers back. We could have healing in the 5 minutes between encounters but gaining powers could be just a number of times per day.

My big though reading the thread is that I cannot remember a time at my table where the PCs took more than 2 shorts rest in one day. Even in a dungeon crawl, they take two max and then seem ready to pull out for a long rest. I guess it must be an issue at other table if we are talking about it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
This is true. And there are three primary paths to fix it. Focus on Short Rest recharges exclusively, Focus on Long Rest recharges exclusively, or make sure every class has decent reasons to look forward to both Short Rests and Long Rests.
I say go with the 3rd option.
Nah. There's really no fire hot enough to daily attrition to burn in for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads